[H] Stock Alerts, Tips & Tears for Nvidia, AMD, Intel, PS5, XBOX

I tried this & this is breaking for me at pipenv install. I'm on Ubuntu 20.10 with python 3.8.

Edit: I went by the Readme.md directions & not by the google doc & that worked for me.
Yes make sure you install the exact version of python mentioned in the guide - not a later version.

Do the numbers in the pic above represent how many people are subscribed to each notification (i.e. 6677 people all signed up on this -one- channel awaiting a 3080)?

View attachment 316413
That's correct. Which is why I recommended a different discord in post #2. For a two week stretch I was subbed to five different alert discords and ATR-STONKS missed a lot of drops, or was late on them. No harm in staying joined, but I'd say join a few and see for yourself which is better/faster - for me it's Snail Monitor, not even close.

That's correct. Which is why I recommended a different discord in post #2. For a two week stretch I was subbed to five different alert discords and ATR-STONKS missed a lot of drops, or was late on them. No harm in staying joined, but I'd say join a few and see for yourself which is better/faster - for me it's Snail Monitor, not even close.
This probably goes without saying but the downside to snail monitor is the majority of us cannot get supporter status so we are limited to Newegg notifications only. Still hands-down better than nothing.

This probably goes without saying but the downside to snail monitor is the majority of us cannot get supporter status so we are limited to Newegg notifications only. Still hands-down better than nothing.
I have had 0 success with snail monitor

This probably goes without saying but the downside to snail monitor is the majority of us cannot get supporter status so we are limited to Newegg notifications only.
Yes that's the downside, but it's also an upside since it's not 7000+ people you're competing with - like yesterday's 5950X Amazon drop I would've had no shot if it was a wide open public alert, since it was only in stock like 3-5 sec.

I've helped a few [H] users that PM'd me to get supporter status for free by cycling their invite links into post #2, and I also paid the $20 patreon when I was new, and its been worth it x 1000. I won't continue it once it expires though, one month is really all anyone should need.

Last edited:
I have had 0 success with snail monitor
This is too vague to give you any improvement tips for, but I'd suspect it's your buying strategy that needs tightening rather than the alerts.

Example if you're just chasing Newegg alerts then you'll have a bad time without an iPhone and Applepay to be able to 1-click buy. For Amazon there are also specific steps to streamline buying quickly, so you'd need to provide more info.

Last edited:
Yes that's the downside, but it's also an upside since it's not 7000+ people you're competing with - like yesterday's 5950X Amazon drop I would've had no shot if it was a wide open public alert, since it was only in stock like 3-5 sec.

I've helped a few [H] users that PM'd me to get supporter status for free by cycling their invite links into post #2, and I also paid the $20 patreon when I was new, and its been worth it x 1000. I won't continue it once it expires though, one month is really all anyone should need.
Yeah as soon as the sign up for supporter status goes live again I plan on paying the $20 for a single month (I’ll probably do this after the 3080Ti release, if I haven’t snagged a 3080 by then).

I missed all the Newegg drops today at 4:30pm PST because they were all combo deals, and apparently my discord notifications only work for single products. Is there any way to setup Discord notifications for combos?

Combos are a dual edged sword you may get a total junk component with the purchase. I got stuck with a PSU I'm not thrilled about with my 6900 XT from Newegg, while I am using it I'll probably part it out sooner or later.

Best buy just went in and out of stock. Hotstock got me the fastest notification still.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Best buy just went in and out of stock. Hotstock got me the fastest notification still.
Of course it did... because simply having random drops helps everyone trying to get one... wait what's that? It only helps those with bots who constantly hammer the site to check stock levels.

Don't mind me, I'm just a bit salty because I went there and got teased with a yellow "add to cart" button tease, until I realized I just went to the general graphics card link and the first thing that popped up was a radion 580 before I realized it wasn't a card I didn't want :D

Of course it did... because simply having random drops helps everyone trying to get one... wait what's that? It only helps those with bots who constantly hammer the site to check stock levels.

Don't mind me, I'm just a bit salty because I went there and got teased with a yellow "add to cart" button tease, until I realized I just went to the general graphics card link and the first thing that popped up was a radion 580 before I realized it wasn't a card I didn't want :D
LOL thats the worst.

I've managed to score a PS5 and could have gotten some 3080s and 3090s. I haven't even had a crack at a next gen AMD card.

Couldn't get a 5950X so I swapped my PS5 plus cash for one. As an outside sales person my phone is glued to my hand most days so Hotstock and twitter have helped me out immensely. A lot of times I just want to see if I can beat the bot.

Seeing as the 3080TI's are dropping soonish I'm not buying a card until then.

The only time I’ve had any luck buying hot items from Bestbuy was by using the app on my phone and using Apple Pay to check out. I’ve never been able to get anything via their website site.

Thanks guys! Mainly RanceJustice ! Snagged a PS5 disc version

appreciate the tips, can’t believe the snailbot thing worked so well. I got the referrer status, Best Buy popped up and immediately clicked on it. It launched my bestbuy app with my stored credentials and bam!

ready for pickup next week

The only time I’ve had any luck buying hot items from Bestbuy was by using the app on my phone and using Apple Pay to check out. I’ve never been able to get anything via their website site.
Yep. I can't stress the iPhone/ApplePay thing enough. I'm lifelong Android (not exactly a badge of honor), but finally had to relent - friend gave me his old X with a cracked screen, I got it fixed for $100 and now have 1-click checkout on Newegg and BestBuy. Without it, you're just a cat chasing a laser pointer if you're trying to fumble with a multi-step process Add To Cart -> Checkout -> confirm CVC, etc

Last edited:
On day one at Best Buy I added a $499.00 3070 to my cart and when I went to pay they said they couldn't ship to my zip code. WTF?

On day one at Best Buy I added a $499.00 3070 to my cart and when I went to pay they said they couldn't ship to my zip code. WTF?

That's completely normal. I've given up on BB because that happens to me every time.

That's completely normal. I've given up on BB because that happens to me every time.
You’re giving up on pretty much your best bet to get one at MSRP outside of just waiting forever on the EVGA queue.

You’re giving up on pretty much your best bet to get one at MSRP outside of just waiting forever on the EVGA queue.

Alright, I'll bite. After I click the yellow add to cart button and wait, and eventually get it in the cart, then proceed to checkout....
How do I get past the BB error that doesn't allow me to select my local BB and won't let me ship to my home?

Alright, I'll bite. After I click the yellow add to cart button and wait, and eventually get it in the cart, then proceed to checkout....
How do I get past the BB error that doesn't allow me to select my local BB and won't let me ship to my home?
I’ll be completely honest and it’s probably the answer you don’t want to hear, I haven’t come across that issue. And I’ve successfully bought a 5900X, 5950X, a 3080 and two 3090s from Best Buy since early November.

I believe the strategy is to randomly select area codes around the country until you find one that works, buy it, and after purchase redirect it to a store near you. I have not done this personally so cannot confirm it works.

A lot of 5600X and 5800X combos dropped tonight on Newegg. I ordered a 5600X earlier today from Amazon, otherwise I would have grabbed one from Newegg. Hopefully some [H] members were able to get in on it.

Reactions: DPI
like this
A lot of 5600X and 5800X combos dropped tonight on Newegg. I ordered a 5600X earlier today from Amazon, otherwise I would have grabbed one from Newegg. Hopefully some [H] members were able to get in on it.
Unless one of those chips combos with a 30 series or 6800* card no thanks I don't need 16GB of Oloy ram :D

Update on Snail Monitor - whatever link you follow , please make sure to NOT leave the Discord channel soon after arriving and/or to leave and then return with a general (non-referral) link, attempt to pad with dummy accounts on the same IP etc - these are likely to be registered as "Fake". I'm not sure all of the parameters, but if you go to the "#commands" channel and type ".invites" you see how many invites you need for Referrer (aka free premium ) status. It will show it something like "User has X invites ( Y total, Z Fakes, Q Left ) " X is the amount of them they "count", properly towards referral status . Those that are "Fake" or "Left" do not count, and its hard to know exactly what flags those at least at the time (ie is there a period of time an invitee can be in the server before they leave and does NOT count as a "Left / Fake" etc)., so just a few things to keep in mind.I need 1 more valid referral so if anyone who hasn't yet joined, please feel free to use https://discord.gg/KQ6VNnguRG (also, if you attempt to use this and it tells you that it has expired, please post and let me know. This was supposed to be a "forever" flagged link, so I'd be curious to know if it stops working/expires) .

Another update in general - it seems that lots of places including Amazon now have been using the new, 2021 tariff jacked up prices (at least on NV cards from many manufacturers; AMD seems to be better off here with the exception of certain AIBs like Asus who changed things universally), Asus products in general etc. I will be watching for this coming Tuesday to see if BestBuy does the same or not. Newegg raised prices immediately and Microcenter has seemingly done so on some items, but not others. I'll have to do some checking on which items in particular are affected. Digging through an announcement about the tariff itself, it seems to be focused primarily on things that have PCBs (ie GPUs are mentioned specifically, as are motherboards) or logic boards ; there's also talk of things like capacitors and other components being more expensive but I can't find specific elements nor amounts. CPUs on the other hand do not seem to be affected at least thus far and I'm unsure if components that use PCBs on a smaller scale - like RAM or SSDs - will also see a similar increase in price. While Asus was one of the first to adjust their prices (and significantly, might I add - perhaps moreso than simple tariff explanation) they're not the only ones, as other dominoes seem to be falling bit by bit. One element that concerns me quite a bit is if game consoles are excluded from these costs and/or their manufacturers absorb the costs without changing the price ; this doesn't seem quite fair for them to be exempt when others are not. We can hope that certain stock that was already warehoused prior to 2021 will retain standard pricing ; many feel that last Tuesday's BestBuy sales of even Asus STRIX GPUs at old prices was due to this phenomena, likewise in-demand EVGA FTW3 Ultra cards.

Hope this helps - lots of tech sites project continued difficulty through Q1 and I anticipate that especially with the tariffs upcoming cards like the 3080 Ti / Super and whatever the AMD XTXH could be may be more expensive than originally planned. Communities like Snail Monitor and user-run bots like Fairgame will help us move forward in the interim

Because they allocate a certain number by region. Last week's drop, I had a 3060 Ti FE and 3070 FE in cart. Fortunately, I could get the 3070 FE, but couldn't get the 3060 Ti FE because of the zip code pick up issue.

In all, since I can't actually get a card I want, I just end up buying whatever the heck I can and trade it. Judging by the amount of trading posts, it seems like this is the case with a significant portion of buyers, driving up demand moreso.

Last edited:
Because they allocate a certain number by region. Last week's drop, I had a 3060 Ti FE and 3070 FE in cart. Fortunately, I could get the 3070 FE, but couldn't get the 3060 Ti FE because of the zip code pick up issue.

In all, since I can't actually get a card I want, I just end up buying whatever the heck I can and trade it. Judging by the amount of trading posts, it seems like this is the case with a significant portion of buyers, driving up demand moreso.

I'm not sure what defines/guides what items can be shipped to you vs local pick up or both. For instance, today I should have a NV 3090 Asus ROG Strix coming tomorrow ( Unfortunately, whomever delivered it failed to ring the doorbell and just assumed nobody was home last Friday, so it has been delayed until today - and they're not even re-delivering it here, instead they're taking it to a local CVS pharmacy as a pick-up location. I mention this because the signature requirement is likely what caused this chain of events, but then again a previous GPU I purchased through Amazon was supposed to have a signature requirement but was just left on my front steps, thankfully in a good area. Not sure if this is because BB and Amazon are shipping with different parameters or it was just a matter of individual carriers ) purchased via BB at pre-tariff prices and I was given the chance to either have it delivered or local pick up. Given that the day they cited for pickup, Friday, was no different than delivery, I chose the latter hoping to save myself a trip. Other times, like when I purchased my launch PS5 (which was the result of quite a bit of luck and just happening to be up at the right hour) I didn't have the option of delivery, it was predicated on pickup from my local store. Thus, I'm unware if items that can be delivered come from the same "pool" and are region/store locked, or if they're a separate group?

Oh one more thing - I was browsing Ebay for the hell of it and to my surprise I saw what seemed to be some items sold for nigh impossible prices. While there a handful of insanely high prices when filtering by successful sold items (ie there was one RTX 3090 sold for $3200 ; it wasn't a Gundam, or even a white Strix , or any other sort of rare card ), but these were relatively few compared to "standard ebay/craigslist sale" prices of somewhere in the $2300-2500 mode for desirable air cooled AIBs (ie Asus/ROG , EVGA, Gigabyte/Aorus, MSI etc). However what concerned me a bit were the LOW priced sales, Seeing 3090's sold ostensibly new or like new for $900-1200 or so, even below retail! Some of these seemed to be from Canada or France, so I'm wondering if its some sort of international scam - otherwise I can't understand how someone is sitting on a surplus of 3090's they're willing to dump for below MSRP much less market rate.. I guess it could be possible some may have "fallen off the truck" but frankly it seems a lot more likely to be a scam than a large amount of stolen GPUs getting liquidated online for such low prices. Has anyone seen this sort of thing?

I'm not sure what defines/guides what items can be shipped to you vs local pick up or both. For instance, today I should have a NV 3090 Asus ROG Strix coming tomorrow ( Unfortunately, whomever delivered it failed to ring the doorbell and just assumed nobody was home last Friday, so it has been delayed until today - and they're not even re-delivering it here, instead they're taking it to a local CVS pharmacy as a pick-up location. I mention this because the signature requirement is likely what caused this chain of events, but then again a previous GPU I purchased through Amazon was supposed to have a signature requirement but was just left on my front steps, thankfully in a good area. Not sure if this is because BB and Amazon are shipping with different parameters or it was just a matter of individual carriers ) purchased via BB at pre-tariff prices and I was given the chance to either have it delivered or local pick up. Given that the day they cited for pickup, Friday, was no different than delivery, I chose the latter hoping to save myself a trip. Other times, like when I purchased my launch PS5 (which was the result of quite a bit of luck and just happening to be up at the right hour) I didn't have the option of delivery, it was predicated on pickup from my local store. Thus, I'm unware if items that can be delivered come from the same "pool" and are region/store locked, or if they're a separate group?

Oh one more thing - I was browsing Ebay for the hell of it and to my surprise I saw what seemed to be some items sold for nigh impossible prices. While there a handful of insanely high prices when filtering by successful sold items (ie there was one RTX 3090 sold for $3200 ; it wasn't a Gundam, or even a white Strix , or any other sort of rare card ), but these were relatively few compared to "standard ebay/craigslist sale" prices of somewhere in the $2300-2500 mode for desirable air cooled AIBs (ie Asus/ROG , EVGA, Gigabyte/Aorus, MSI etc). However what concerned me a bit were the LOW priced sales, Seeing 3090's sold ostensibly new or like new for $900-1200 or so, even below retail! Some of these seemed to be from Canada or France, so I'm wondering if its some sort of international scam - otherwise I can't understand how someone is sitting on a surplus of 3090's they're willing to dump for below MSRP much less market rate.. I guess it could be possible some may have "fallen off the truck" but frankly it seems a lot more likely to be a scam than a large amount of stolen GPUs getting liquidated online for such low prices. Has anyone seen this sort of thing?
I saw a comment in one of the discord chats where someone posted a screenshot of a used 3090 they snagged on Amazon for $1300. Now that’s used, so not apples to apples, but it made me wonder what I would do if a similar opportunity came around for a 3080 (or maybe even a reasonably priced 3090). I think if I found something similar, on Amazon, I would take the gamble knowing (hoping) I have means for recourse through Amazon and my credit card provider. Desperate times man.

All kinds of shenanigans are going on with ebay right now and this juiced up scalper environment. The fraudsters are loving it I'm sure. I'd never buy any card that's not a US based seller, just makes it even worse if it's a scammer.

What you're seeing is the same scam they always pull, price the cards a couple hundred below everyone else to get the suckers to buy it now. That scam has been working for several years now, pretty incredible.

I'm not sure what defines/guides what items can be shipped to you vs local pick up or both. For instance, today I should have a NV 3090 Asus ROG Strix coming tomorrow ( Unfortunately, whomever delivered it failed to ring the doorbell and just assumed nobody was home last Friday, so it has been delayed until today - and they're not even re-delivering it here, instead they're taking it to a local CVS pharmacy as a pick-up location.

To my knowledge, BB is now pick-up only.

Oh one more thing - I was browsing Ebay for the hell of it and to my surprise I saw what seemed to be some items sold for nigh impossible prices.

Right now its very risky to sell these cards on eBay because of potential scams. The shortage has turned somewhat normal people to desperate measures. To many folks, the idea of scamming or 'getting even' with a scalper is rather easy to justify.

If someone with a decent multi-year track record decides to scam you (claim it was not what they received), there is little recourse that can be done because the eBay algorithm has determined they are 'trusted'. And by default, a trusted buyer will have an extremely high chance of winning an arbitration.

I would not sell these cards on eBay period. The prices there reflect the risk. Think of how many scalped GPU's you'd have to sell to break even after being scammed a RTX 3090. Therefore, in order to make a profit, you need to have an expected value to match.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back