[H] Stock Alerts, Tips & Tears for Nvidia, AMD, Intel, PS5, XBOX

Looks like Best Buy had a drop also.
Here it is almost 10 hours later and I still see a few 3060tis as "add to cart" (whether or not that means they are available is a whole other story)... of course they are the more pricier ones in the $650-700 range.

Here it is almost 10 hours later and I still see a few 3060tis as "add to cart" (whether or not that means they are available is a whole other story)... of course they are the more pricier ones in the $650-700 range.
They go in and out of stock. I have tried with at least 10 cards and I always get no cards within 250 miles message after adding to cart and verifying my account. And this is an area with many Best Buys including some that were in the in store drops over the summer.

They go in and out of stock. I have tried with at least 10 cards and I always get no cards within 250 miles message after adding to cart and verifying my account. And this is an area with many Best Buys including some that were in the in store drops over the summer.
Best Buy still allows you to add cards to your cart. They may be gambling on shipments coming in or something because I find it odd that they suddenly have all these cards lying around. Still nothing in store though.

I know this is a bit off topic, but with the prices coming down here is a comparison of the 3070 vs 6700 XT in case you are like me and still deciding what card to aim for.

Just got an email flyer from Micro Center acknowledging the GPU price drops. Looks like AIB cards are closer to reference MSRP for AMD GPUs and closer to EVGA MSRP for Nvidia GPUs. Once EVGA drops prices closer to FE, prices will fall across the board imo.

Attachments

• 3079E660-29ED-422D-A625-39D62B8A96E6.png
    3079E660-29ED-422D-A625-39D62B8A96E6.png
    767.6 KB · Views: 0
I know this is a bit off topic, but with the prices coming down here is a comparison of the 3070 vs 6700 XT in case you are like me and still deciding what card to aim for.

That Far Cry 6 4K result for the RTX 3070 though.. ouch. But most people probably aren't using the 3070 for 4k though to be fair.

The only 8 GB card I would consider is the 3050, at MSRP.
The founders editions of the 3060 TI and 3070 at MSRP would still offer insane value and there would only be about three or four games where you would need to turn down texture settings a notch or two.

That Far Cry 6 4K result for the RTX 3070 though.. ouch. But most people probably aren't using the 3070 for 4k though to be fair.
1440 is probably going to be more common as those seem to have cheap monitors all over the place where as 4k monitors can be had for cheap but you cant be as picky

More RAM is definitely part of the problem with these inflated GPU prices, doubling RAM has always been a crutch that allowed AMD/Nvidia to inflate prices. And, they charge you a premium today for that capacity that is only needed in a handful of titles today, but might only be needed a few years later when that GPU is too slow to benefit from the VRAM.

But it’s wholly unnecessary!!! With DirectStorage API, larger memory apertures and batches transfers, there will be less dependency on cached assets through a small aperture vs streamed assets through a much wider parallel aperture. Hope more games adapt and use this new tech so that memory requirements don’t get out of control.

More RAM is definitely part of the problem with these inflated GPU prices, doubling RAM has always been a crutch that allowed AMD/Nvidia to inflate prices. And, they charge you a premium today for that capacity that is only needed in a handful of titles today, but might only be needed a few years later when that GPU is too slow to benefit from the VRAM.

But it’s wholly unnecessary!!! With DirectStorage API, larger memory apertures and batches transfers, there will be less dependency on cached assets through a small aperture vs streamed assets through a much wider parallel aperture. Hope more games adapt and use this new tech so that memory requirements don’t get out of control.
Well not having enough vram to run settings your gpu is otherwise capable of right out of the box is not so nice either. And texture settings have one of the biggest impacts on vram yet have practically no impact on the gpu itself so it seems silly for upper mid range or higher end cards to be insufficient in some current games never mind upcoming games.

And who knows when we will start getting games using this direct storage and if most devs will even bother. Plus I worry there will be issues just like with all the other things that were touted to improve gaming such as game mode, rebar and hags all of which can do more harm than good in some games.

Last edited:
Just grab one of the 3080 12's or Ti's from EVGA's website, they're all cheaper. The Ti FTW3 is $1430 (OOS at the moment).

If someone is going to spend that kind of money then they should spend a little more and get the FTW3 with the better cooler.
I could be wrong but, I don't think the XC3 heatsink is considered strictly worse. It certainly doesn't have RGB.

A use case for the XC3 are MATX and ITX cases which aren't very wide. The lower width of the XC3 an mean the difference of whether or not you can shut the case with the GPU power cables attached.

XC3 is also a double slot card. Whereas the FTW is like 2.5 or maybe even more like 3. It could take up too much space to use another add-in card below it.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but, I don't think the XC3 heatsink is considered strictly worse. It certainly doesn't have RGB.

A use case for the XC3 are MATX and ITX cases which aren't very wide. The lower width of the XC3 an mean the difference of whether or not you can shut the case with the GPU power cables attached.

XC3 is also a double slot card. Whereas the FTW is like 2.5 or maybe even more like 3. It could take up too much space to use another add-in card below it.
I think I read a direct comparison review a while back and it mentioned the XC3 cooler was both louder and it ran hotter. But yeah I did not think about any other circumstance where the slightly smaller cooler would be beneficial.

Last edited:
Even MSRP is too high...

The cheapest 6700 XT is $599. I bought my RX 590 (5 year old Polaris refresh) 2.5 years ago at $185. The 6700 XT is roughly 2x the performance in most games for 3.25x the cost. Even at the MSRP of $470 that's 2x the performance for 2.5x the cost.

I know the market isn't anything close to "normal" but that sucks.

Even MSRP is too high...

The cheapest 6700 XT is $599. I bought my RX 590 (5 year old Polaris refresh) 2.5 years ago at $185. The 6700 XT is roughly 2x the performance in most games for 3.25x the cost. Even at the MSRP of $470 that's 2x the performance for 2.5x the cost.

Everything released since January 2021 has a gouged MSRP. First card to launch like that was the 3060 which is actual garbage compared to the 3060 Ti.
It's either Nvidia/AMD trying to skim from their AIBs or it really is related to tariffs and component shortages.

Everything released since January 2021 has a gouged MSRP. First card to launch like that was the 3060 which is actual garbage compared to the 3060 Ti.
It's either Nvidia/AMD trying to skim from their AIBs or it really is related to tariffs and component shortages.

There are a lot of factors for sure. It feels like prices are set at the "because we can" level.

CPU side of things isn't as crazy. Replacing my 3600x with a 5600x. Getting a ~20% performance boost while paying 10% less. That feels good.

The three failed attempts I had to buy the 1080 Ti B-Stock are all on my credit card for $308 each, despite none of them actually going through. :|

Even MSRP is too high...

For that price, I'd probably wait for the 6800 non-xt to drop in price. I think for the extra $50 ("MSRP") it's a much better card.

Authorizations shouldn't be there when no purchase got to actually be made, though. They're used to check there's enough available credit before shipping.
Maybe it depends on the card issuer. But I see pendings all the time on my card/s, even when I missed getting in on an actual order.

Well not having enough vram to run settings your gpu is otherwise capable of right out of the box is not so nice either. And texture settings have one of the biggest impacts on vram yet have practically no impact on the gpu itself so it seems silly for upper mid range or higher end cards to be insufficient in some current games never mind upcoming games.

And who knows when we will start getting games using this direct storage and if most devs will even bother. Plus I worry there will be issues just like with all the other things that were touted to improve gaming such as game mode, rebar and hags all of which can do more harm than good in some games.
While true, the 3070 and 3080 are straddling that fine line of enough VRAM vs inability to run games at 4K at acceptable frame rates.

3070 isn’t really a 4K card so you’d be turning down a lot of other settings in addition to textures and 3080 is right on the cusp but also has add’l 2GB VRAM. With the 3080 Nvidia clearly did a lot of test cases with the original rumored 320bit/20GB model, vs the 384bit/12GB 3080TI and finally the 384bit/12GB 3080, so clearly Nvidia saw the benefit of the extra VRAM and bandwidth to be a better complement to the increase in compute cores instead of just doubling VRAM on the original 3080.

I don’t think anyone would choose a 3060 12GB over a 3070 with 8GB for those handful of fringe cases where the 12GB is more beneficial than the extra compute, by the time the VRAM is more important both cards will probably be 2-3 gens behind and barely relevant. Similarly, the 3070Ti 16GB was deemed unnecessary because a 3080 with 10 or 12GB for a little more money was going to make more sense to the vast majority of use-cases for price to perf.

Last edited:
Also AIB cards at their 50-60% increase over FE MSRP have been in stock at BestBuy since around noon yesterday. Still a lot of EVGA models with their built-in markups (3080 12GB and 3080Ti) in stock too.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/search...rue&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

Expect some silent price drops on cards as they continue to sit.

That’s actually another nice perk of TotalTech, 60 days of price match/protection. I’ve used this numerous times since the holidays to great effect, most recently on Corsair Dominator 5600 DDR5 that went from $430, to $405 “price drop” to new silently reduced MSRP of $370.

Back