[H]'s thoughts on best cooler for PS3

Baker

2[H]4U
I was at my local CC and was looking around at their PS3 coolers... I thought about picking one up ... but one of the guys working there told me to stay away from the ones they had in stock... he had heard bad things about it. (the one cooler that plugs straight into the power port and then you plug your power cable into it).

I'm glade to see that they didn't just try to sell me on this product to make money... but actually give me a heads up. ( I wasn't really planning on buying one at the time... I was just looking at what they had... I had actually just gone up to pick up 2 more controllers, so that I could play 4 player Calling All Cars.)

Does anyone actually have a cooler for their PS3, any recommendations?

I would like to get a cooler to help extend the life of my PS3... and would also like to run it cooler while its folding@night while I sleep.

Thanks

supposedly both the pelican and nyko ones are pretty loud too. But the pelican one seems to be more prefered.

You can use a simple usb fan though and just have it blow on it ;)

From what I've read and even from people folding, there is no need for an external cooler. PS3's apparently don't have overheating issues.

The PS3 has a great cooling solution already and im sure you will not need a third party coolingsystem.

I've never done a search for USB fans.... is this what you speak of ... LOL :p

heh. that is one, but there are others.

And while the PS3 doesn't really overheat, it does get hot and the like PCs, the lower the temperature the better the system is overall.

Well its not so much that I'm worried about overheating... I just want to "pro-long" its life.

I do have the BestBuy replacement plan... but from what I heard I can only use that to swap it 1 time. So... I would like to make sure this thing doesn’t get aged from being "warm" all the time... (I basically fold@home while @ work or while sleeping.)

I was reading on the PS3 forums... and most of the "hardcore PS3 fans" seem like they think adding 3rd party coolers will "disrupt" the way the air is meant to flow.... I figured as long as I'm blowing that hot air out with cooler air.. faster... that I'll get better performance in games (I get a few slow downs in MotorStorm when my PS3 has been on for an extended period of time)

Some people over there also suggest having it closer to the ground (because cool air is denser and hot air rises..... I don't think 3 feet really makes all that much difference)

Its not like my PS3 is in an enclosed entertainment center... but I just wasn't sure if there was something worth getting that "might" allow my PS3 to last longer.

Back