[H] Readers Against SOPA

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know what I like most about you guys? Not only can you talk the talk, you also walk the walk. In the case of [H] reader Ethan Myers, that walk lead him all the way to our nation's capitol to protest SOPA / PIPA. I know it isn't possible for everyone to go to D.C. but it only takes a second to sign this petition. :cool:

Signed.

Thank you Ethan, I wish I had the time as I would have met up with you down there.

signed.

And this is actually a protest I'm proud of... and guess what you don't see people doing stupid shit either.. funny how intelligent protesting works

Signed. Looks like the online protests by Wikipedia, Reddit and others was VERY effective.

I contacted all three of my congressmen today for the first, second, and third time - via phone, email, and Twitter. I retweeted and shared tons of links via (which means they hit Twitter and Facebook as well). I changed the image/message on both of my Skype accounts to bring family, friends, and coworkers into the mix. I blacked out my website, which affected maybe 4 people but was a great symbolic gesture nonetheless. Nothing has driven me to do this before, and now that I have seen the effect a movement this massive can have, I will gladly do it again. Save teh intarwebs!

Forgot to mention that I signed that petition this morning already... But I'll get my wife to sign it when she gets home from work :)

I signed through an American Proxy, and it just so happens its in Obama's state.:D

http://www.scribd.com/doc/76259944/SOPA-Supporters

i actually support SOPA because the current form of the internet is drab and the infrastructure is antiquated

go ahead and regulate the "internet" and then let us/the geeks become creative again out of strife to something new and exciting

like how exciting bitcoin was... it was crazy surreal and unbelievable at first getting involved, but it's totally real and independently created from the governing bodies of the world

How to shut down the internet.

-www.google.com
-www.youtube.com
-www.facebook.com
-www.wikipedia.org

Wikipedia alone would have shoved SOPA in millions of peoples faces. If they didn't know it then, they'll know it now. Imagine if the other three did it too.

i wish you guys wouldn't sign it :(

give them what they want... lets create something new... the "internet" is junk anymore anyhow... it has limitations and boundaries regardless of SOPA

give them what they want... lets create something new... the "internet" is junk anymore anyhow... it has limitations and boundaries regardless of SOPA

oh good idea, so obviously any change is a good change then! brilliant :rolleyes:

oh good idea, so obviously any change is a good change then! brilliant :rolleyes:

lots of brilliant things can come out of oppression and strife, so i say let it happen and wait for some creativity to abound

<rant>

What the fuck are you smoking man? The Internet is the single greatest invention the human race has ever created. It is better than any medicine that came before it, better than the creation of space travel, better than any scientific advancement ever.

WHY?

Because it is the the single point of culmination of all of human knowledge, including the afore mentioned advances. It is what has pushed us forward into the future faster than anything else, because it allows knowledge to be disseminated at the speed of light. It allows science, religion, ideas, opinions, comedy, love, hate, all human emotions, to be transcribed across all borders of all nations, giving all men and women the ability to become what they want and above all, learn and be free.

Regardless of it's current back-end or the technology that holds it up, it is still an extremely important creation that must never be allowed to fall into enemies hands. It was created by man for man and not the demons that pretend to gain power from the people.

Our nation was created by the people for the people and not of a few people. I give you your right to an opinion and I will not ask for your post to be removed or censored, and I hope that you will return this respect with your own.

</rant> <note>(<- and for you Internet noobs this is some SGML)</note>

I signed as many petitions as I could starting at 3:00am EST.

Sucks that the ENTIRE NATION has to mobilize to offset the will of a handful of media executives.

One media executive can buy the influence that overrides millions of people.

Petition signed.

lots of brilliant things can come out of oppression and strife, so i say let it happen and wait for some creativity to abound

Brilliant things also cost money. Indeed I find it ironic that many of the people connect to the Internet via the hardware from cable companies who are perhaps the biggest proponents of SOPA and PIPA.

Sucks that the ENTIRE NATION has to mobilize to offset the will of a handful of media executives.

One media executive can buy the influence that overrides millions of people.

Petition signed.

QFT

Indeed I find it ironic that many of the people connect to the Internet via the hardware from cable companies who are perhaps the biggest proponents of SOPA and PIPA.
If only they could switch to a competitor that doesn't support SOPA. You gotta live in the world you live in, though. They own all the lines, so nobody can really get around that.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/76259944/SOPA-Supporters

i actually support SOPA because the current form of the internet is drab and the infrastructure is antiquated

go ahead and regulate the "internet" and then let us/the geeks become creative again out of strife to something new and exciting

like how exciting bitcoin was... it was crazy surreal and unbelievable at first getting involved, but it's totally real and independently created from the governing bodies of the world

Have you even read the bill in question? It does nothing to encourage or foster innovation...it has no provisions for upgrading the infrastructure of the internet...it doesn't provide anything constructive.

If you don't believe me, take a look at the full text of the bill:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h112-3261

If you want to see the Internet improve, SOPA isn't the governmental tool to do that. Look at bills that promote access to the Internet, such as deploying high-speed connectivity to rural areas, or that advance net neutrality.

Brilliant things also cost money. Indeed I find it ironic that many of the people connect to the Internet via the hardware from cable companies who are perhaps the biggest proponents of SOPA and PIPA.

Think god I'm piggy-backing on my jobs connection, which is directly connected to the Internet. I have my own public IP address :D and 100Mbit connection. No SOPA backing here, at least not in my department.

Way to go! I fully support the people who went to DC for this, and would join if I could :(. Being a recent college graduate, I have no money, otherwise I would be down there. I'll have to stick to signing petitions, calling congress, and spreading the world. Massive props guys!

turn off 4 search engines and 4 online shops like amazon/newegg/ebay (whatever is biggest in your area) the whole internet will be in chaos.

this sopa is like 1% of people that think they are doing the other 99% favor without asking or telling us and they need to GTFO and do their own thing and leave us alone.

if this goes through people will start posting URLs of piratey websites everywhere they can to try to make the work as difficult as possible for enforcers and force to the people to retaliate. hopefully it doesnt come to that.

Yeah, ok.

I work at a university. So yes I am directly connected to the Internet. No NAT and our "ISP", to use the term loosely, is located about 20 feet down the hall from my office. My Public IP is 131.94.3.30 if you wish to check.

Great video posted over at penny-arcade: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/stand-together-the-gaming-community-vs-sopa-and-pipa

By the way, if you want to hurt the ESA, don't goto E3 this year and ask the game developers and gaming coverage sites you support to not attend as well.

So [H] as much as I love you, will you boycott the review of any games whose parent companies back SOPA or PIPA in any form? If you by chance could talk to some folks at your upcoming event and spread the word as well that would be awesome.

Everyone here on [H] should have already signed petitions, but thanks for the link for those that need it! It really only takes a minute, and could change our future. Whoa, I sounded really serious there, but it's true.

I work at a university. So yes I am directly connected to the Internet. No NAT and our "ISP", to use the term loosely, is located about 20 feet down the hall from my office. My Public IP is 131.94.3.30 if you wish to check.

It's not like "the internet" is one thing that you can connect to. You always have to transit routers owned by other entities, regardless of who you are. There is no one ISP or provider that can give you access to the "whole internet." Even if you don't directly purchase access from them, their policies dictate your access to content on their network. Having a public IP has nothing to do with this.

Also, Universities (generally) aren't Tier 1 because they can't afford to build an infrastructure that has no IP transiting. Even being directly connected to a Tier 1 doesn't necessarily mean a direct connection to the "whole internet."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_1_network

It's not like "the internet" is one thing that you can connect to. You always have to transit routers owned by other entities, regardless of who you are. There is no one ISP or provider that can give you access to the "whole internet." Even if you don't directly purchase access from them, their policies dictate your access to content on their network. Having a public IP has nothing to do with this.

Also, Universities (generally) aren't Tier 1 because they can't afford to build an infrastructure that has no IP transiting. Even being directly connected to a Tier 1 doesn't necessarily mean a direct connection to the "whole internet."

Thank you for the information. After a little research I found the following describing parts of our network: http://ciara.fiu.edu/bwc_09.html

So regardless of where I am then I still enjoy my insane download speeds :D.

By the way how do I found out who provides our actual back-end services then?

Internet? Why do you keep on talking as if there's just one of them? -1000 internets for you.

It's not a big deal to me, I suspect that if passed (though Obama would have simply vetoed them) any unusual applications can be revised, rewritten, or through the courts repealed. I think other domestic problems, like the over 9% unemployment rate and the unfathomably high national debt, are a much bigger concern.

By the way, I was able to access Wikipedia's English pages during the blackout by simply loading them up on Firefox with the noscript addon enabled.

don't think you won't pay for that :(

Please leave this thread. You add nothing useful! :mad:

You obviously did no research. You sound like the other Americans that just let things happen and then bitch about it later.

Back