[H]ott Dell Raptors $134.25

I wanted to add that I bought a couple of the Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA 300GB drives through Dell. I had one go bad and had no problem getting warranty service through Maxtor. I went to their site, put in the Serial # and all went through fine.

I know that this thread is discussing Western Digital, but I can verify that my HDD, bought through Dell did get warranty service through the HDD manufacturer. I did not use this in a Dell system either.

Again, I know it's now WD but I thought I would add this comment.

As the thread starter, Yes I have read the thread.

Secondly this is about a specific WD drive purchased through Dell in particular the WD800GD.

WD740GD and WD800GD do in fact use the same platters, with the inner most zones disabled on WD740GD to improve linear transfer performance near the end of the disk. The geometry and resulting transfer rates are virtually identical through the first 70GB, WD800GD simply has another zone at the end with another 6GB at a slightly lower transfer rate. Check out this HDTach run (kindly provided by xxaaaqq) to see that the drives are identical except for the extra capacity.

chomsky said:
Did you guys have to call and verify you were a small business when you ordered?

And also, to the guy that said that the 74GB raptors were only 150, seeing as that's after the code is applied and it's still listed as a dell drive, what's the appeal of getting that over the 80gb?

here's the link for the lazy:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...=us&l=en&cs=04&category_id=2999&page=external

If I could do it again, I would have bought the 74GB when I saw it in the $150-155 range... I would have rather paid a few bucks more and gotten the warranty. I checked my S/N, and WD does not cover it. It gives a specific return code, that the drive was purchased through an OEM partner, and the Warranty has to be obtained through that OEM Partner. In this case, it's a Dell, which means you get one year, if you actually have a Dell that the drive is used in... (don't know if you have to prove that... or just have bought a Dell on the same account.)

EDIT: No, I've ordered a lot of things through Dell Small Business without verification of being a small business.

I called sometime last week or the week before when this thread was still virgin. It took a few holds but I did get the answer:

No warranty whatsoever. Only serviced if put in a Dell machine.

pikawel said:
I called sometime last week or the week before when this thread was still virgin. It took a few holds but I did get the answer:

No warranty whatsoever. Only serviced if put in a Dell machine.

So no warranty even if it's in a Dell machine? But they'll "service" it? What does that mean?

It means it's covered under your Dell machine's warranty. So if it breaks, you can have the machine serviced by dell people and they give you a new drive as long as your machine is under warranty. That's my take on it anyway.

Um, I am still confused:

Is it a good deal or a bad deal then? Should I get the 74GB retail version instead?

LiquidX said:
So you would rather a double loss, your data and $100? :p

When a drive dies, I spent the extra money to put some premium-quality personal defense ammunition into it with extreme prejudice. Seriously. So another $20 for some Federal .357 Mags. To hell with RMA'ing it and getting a refurbished drive to piss me off later, I buy a different type of drive - not necessarily different make, but different model.

And as the result of this, I have a Maxtor and a WD, Seagate can kiss my ass, as can Maxtor - Just lost a 250GB Maxtor the other week - and now we'll give Samsung a run and maybe one of these Raptors... Say whatever you want about WD, but of all the WDs I've ever had I've long moved on from caring about by the time it died.

Performance over warranty. This is a good deal. DVD writers are cheap, back it up. :D

Cannibal Corpse said:
Um, I am still confused:

Is it a good deal or a bad deal then? Should I get the 74GB retail version instead?
If the coupon is dead, I hope they lock this thread. As for the deal, with absolutely no warranty, I don't think I'd go for it. But it's a nice addition for those people that have high performance Dells.

EDIT: Yah, it looks like the coupon is gone, please lock. This thread is annoying. Too much bitching.

Back