[H]ot Sweet Speakers

Stay away from cheaper SDAT speakers. They're of the mediocre white-van vein. Those, I'm not sure, but have been curious about.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q...-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&tab=wf

as low as $236 each on froogle. Overstock does claim to give you *2* for that price, so that's not bad.. but they aren't $1600, or even $600 [anywhere]

Not quite sure of your math/logic

on overstock.com they show them as MSRP of $599.99

overstock.com website said:
List Price: $599.99
Our Price: $324.99
You Save: $275.00 (45%)
Even if you were buying 2 pairs (4 total), you'd only get to $1200.00

Besides..
If you 'ignore' what the previous poster said about "avoiding sdat" ...

the LEB-404 are a much better deal.
$79.99+2.95 shipped for a pair.

SJetski71 said:

I did not know froogle had a price sorter.. But what is the price of those $215's shipped (since i can't get the site to resolve for me.)

:)

Q? (I don't think computer audio forum would cover it.. but....)

Suppose I was truly insane, and wanted to buy these speakers as the 6 points of a 6.1 channel sound system..
Where on earth would I find a home theater receiver that could output 800w x 6.1?
(I know where to find a 1000 watt sub - yeah, sure, it's $999.. but who cares about price when you can go deaf?

About as good as the crappy KLH you will find at Best Buy. I heard Athena's are good.

eat2na said:
About as good as the crappy KLH you will find at Best Buy. I heard Athena's are good.

Funny.. athena's are just rebadged "energy's" -- known to be utter crap, at least that's what I've always heard. Energy are as good as say... "Realistic" (radioshack)

eat2na said:

Ive listened to the Athenas and thought they sounded at least as good as the JBLs maybe even a little better. Although the Klipsch sound alot better IMO. But pricewise if I was going to be getting some decent speakers Id go with the Athenas.

come visit in the computer audio forum and phrase the questions as "how would these work/what receiver could i use with my soundcard?" and you'll get some response...

eat2na said:

Hey, the KLH is gonna rock you .. or was that the KLF .. well whatever you're going to get rocked.

ccotenj said:
come visit in the computer audio forum and phrase the questions as "how would these work/what receiver could i use with my soundcard?" and you'll get some response...

I don't visit the computer audio forum anymore. The mods [mister x, i'm talking to you] are complete tools in there.
The other concept of course is that I would not, probably, hook up 800w x 6.1 / 800w x 7.1 channel sound to my computer. So.. "how will this work with my soundcard" is completely unrelated.

I once had two completely different threads, looking for answers to two COMPLETELY different situations, and they merged them, after I had said, in the description of each thread (the first post) WHY there were two threads, cause I KNEW they'd do it.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=893470

I had started a thread about an "incredible rig" [never really did get an answer] about setting up a HOME THEATER system (7.1) for my very large livingroom

and a completely seperate thread

about a setup for my office.

As my office is 1/5 the size of my livingroom, the requirements are probably COMPLETELY different.

so_cal_forever said:
Stay away from cheaper SDAT speakers. They're of the mediocre white-van vein. Those, I'm not sure, but have been curious about.

They all are.

If you bought these you got RIPPED OFF.

himmy said:
They all are.

If you bought these you got RIPPED OFF.

Ok so if you think a person is going to be RIPPED OFF then what would you suggest?
What is your reasoning for "RIPPED OFF"?

I personally have an OEM 5.1 system built by Altec Lansing for DELL back in the day that hands down blows the Klipsch PC series out the door and it only cost me $114.00 shipped and taxed.. The dual sub is taller and larger than my mid-tower and the whole system hits so hard that it vibrates my walls, wood floors and makes my widows hum with bass.
I mostly listen to Hard House and Drum and Bass but sometimes when I am doing my work from home or eating dinner with the fam I blast classical and the damn things sound perfect. I run the winamp equalizer and OSPI equalizer. I tweak it tell it sounds good to me.
So I'm very happy with my PC setup!

I do plan on building a 7.1/8.1(depends what’s available) surround theater in 2 years when my new home is built. These would be a nice addition at a budget cost!

Does anyone have any personal experience with these?
I'm the type who likes to hear the fine details of an enormous explosions. KLH are very good at booming. I could really care less about birds tweeting off to my right side or behind me when the camera's move around! A perfectly sounding gun shot is what I want.

I personally can not find a damn place that has these speakers to test in person. I doubt there ever will be unless it's a ma & pa store!

:rolleyes:

I'm going to have to 2nd the "utter crap" remark.

They ARE sold out of the back of a van. And if you find the right van you can get these "omg they shipped us too many and my boss told me to drive around a mall parking lot and hock this shit for lowball prices."

They look fine. Good even. The sound OK on the low and high end, but is missing about 1/2 of the sound range they claim right in the middle! I've got POS 8 year old K-mart quality book shelf speakers from a $100 stereo set that out performs them (by alot) when hooked to my main amp.

Sorry. one more thing. If you go into a ma & pa store that 'knows' their equipment, they'll laugh you right out of the building for mentioning this crap to them. It's their main competition, assclowns selling speakers "worth" $1600 out of the back of a freeking van for a hundred a pair.

Wow, I'm never posting another [H]ot Deal again :)

I just thought that if someone wanted some big speakers at a cheap price, these would be decent. www.audioreview.com is usually pretty on with their reviews, the MSRP may be off sometimes (apperently alot in this case) but it's still a good site. I personally wouldn't buy these, I'd rather go with paradigm or maybe B7W. But since my ca$h flow situation limits me, I only had cash form my Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1's for my puter, but with my soundcard, it's pretty close to home stereo for me ( for what I spent anyway)

Malogato said:
I don't visit the computer audio forum anymore. The mods [mister x, i'm talking to you] are complete tools in there.
The other concept of course is that I would not, probably, hook up 800w x 6.1 / 800w x 7.1 channel sound to my computer. So.. "how will this work with my soundcard" is completely unrelated.

I once had two completely different threads, looking for answers to two COMPLETELY different situations, and they merged them, after I had said, in the description of each thread (the first post) WHY there were two threads, cause I KNEW they'd do it.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=893470

I had started a thread about an "incredible rig" [never really did get an answer] about setting up a HOME THEATER system (7.1) for my very large livingroom

and a completely seperate thread

about a setup for my office.

As my office is 1/5 the size of my livingroom, the requirements are probably COMPLETELY different.

suit yourself... you obviously didn't understand why i said to ask the question that way... :rolleyes:

to the op... as far as audio review being "on with their reviews"... maybe with the editorial reviews... the consumer reviews can be taken with a grain of salt...

trinkus79 said:

I just thought that if someone wanted some big speakers at a cheap price, these would be decent. www.audioreview.com is usually pretty on with their reviews, the MSRP may be off sometimes (apperently alot in this case) but it's still a good site. I personally wouldn't buy these, I'd rather go with paradigm or maybe B7W. But since my ca$h flow situation limits me, I only had cash form my Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1's for my puter, but with my soundcard, it's pretty close to home stereo for me ( for what I spent anyway)

I think the point *some, not all* are trying to make is seperate from the quality of the speakers, the price isn't even that great.

yea, wasnt trying to be mean. I was just letting you know my opinion and experience with these speakers... which obviously isnt good =P

solotech said:
Ok so if you think a person is going to be RIPPED OFF then what would you suggest?

Returning them ASAP. Not hard.

solotech said:
What is your reasoning for "RIPPED OFF"?

These are your 'white van' speakers. You are at Best Buy in the parking lot. A white van pulls up. Guy rolls down his window and says he is stuck with an extra pair and his boss will kill him if he comes back with them. He offers you these ultra high end, $1,000+ speakers for and ultra low price.

In reality, the speakers are made specifically to sell this way, to get the ignorant person who thinks he is getting a deal.

solotech said:
I personally have an OEM 5.1 system built by Altec Lansing for DELL back in the day that hands down blows the Klipsch PC series out the door and it only cost me $114.00 shipped and taxed.. The dual sub is taller and larger than my mid-tower and the whole system hits so hard that it vibrates my walls, wood floors and makes my widows hum with bass.
I mostly listen to Hard House and Drum and Bass but sometimes when I am doing my work from home or eating dinner with the fam I blast classical and the damn things sound perfect. I run the winamp equalizer and OSPI equalizer. I tweak it tell it sounds good to me.
So I'm very happy with my PC setup!

I'm the type who likes to hear the fine details of an enormous explosions. KLH are very good at booming. I could really care less about birds tweeting off to my right side or behind me when the camera's move around! A perfectly sounding gun shot is what I want.

Honestly, you woudl not know good sound if it walked up to you, unzipped your pants, and wrapped it's mouth around your johnson. 'Boomy' is not bass at all, that is the bass you get from crappy speakers and subs that ignorant people think means good bass. You want deep, tight, fast responses from the low end, NOT 'boomy.' You specifically state you do not like what makes a good speaker: losing sense of where the sound is coming from. You want great imaging. With my Onyx Rocket 550, running in just two channel mode, it sounds as if I have my center channel on because the imaging is so great, it is like wall of sound and is very hard to tell that it is comign from 1 specific speaker.

trinkus79 said:

There is one review. Guess who did it? You got it, some employee working for that speaker company. Look at what he lists, most big box retail chain brands with a few higher end brands added in.

Back