[[H]ot] Sennheiser HD600 - $279

jahjahwarrior

Limp Gawd
Possibly hot.... I paid $300 for these a year ago. I had a price alert set for under $300. You got to remember Sennheiser will only honor warranties from authorized retailers such as Amazon, even though you might see these cheaper on ebay or something. Most official retails sell these for $400.

These are arguably the best headphones you can get w/o spending ~1500.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SY4H/ref=ox_ya_os_product

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Great sound stage and accuracy, but I'll take a set of Denons or AKGs for the warmth/richness.

Good deal nonetheless. Thanks OP.

Always wanted to try Sennheisers... but I already have K701s. Ugh...

Possibly hot.... I paid $300 for these a year ago. I had a price alert set for under $300. You got to remember Sennheiser will only honor warranties from authorized retailers such as Amazon, even though you might see these cheaper on ebay or something. Most official retails sell these for $400.

These are arguably the best headphones you can get w/o spending ~1500.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00004SY4H

Agreed with the OP there.... these are quite badass headphones..... one of, it not, the top 10 headphones I've seen recommended by lots of people.

Check out the 2nd review there... he explains why better headphones like HD600 are great because you will hear audio you never heard before in your favorite CDs. The songs can actually sound better with a nice pair of headphones.

I barely ever listen to my speakers any more.... since my headphones almost always sound so much more sweeter (ESPECIALLY up loud!) :D

Great set of cans! I can't really justify moving to the HD600 from my modded HD580 though.

I just bought the triple.fi's today so I don't want to get 2 pairs of headphones in one day.

The HD600 is tempting though.

Great set of cans! I can't really justify moving to the HD600 from my modded HD580 though.
Ive ran my 580's stock for years. What mod did u do?

I just bought the triple.fi's today so I don't want to get 2 pairs of headphones in one day.

The HD600 is tempting though.
I really do prefer my tf10's to the 580's. They're just not very comfy. I only have a little pimeta DIY jobbie and not a nice tube for them so that could be why too.

I won't stop using my hd480s until they finally break.

I have often wondered how much better the 580s and the 600s are, because my 480s are great.

It's an okay deal, I picked up a pair of HD650 for $320 from J&R awhile back. Either way if you are in the market for an HD600/650 I would not hesitate as they don't go on sale too often.

Always wanted to try Sennheisers... but I already have K701s. Ugh...

If you like the AKG K701 sound signature and forwardness, chances are you might not enjoy the Sennheiser 6xx series sound. I hope you have an amp for them though.

Great deal, actually VERY tempted to try these as an alternative classical can.

I really do prefer my tf10's to the 580's. They're just not very comfy. I only have a little pimeta DIY jobbie and not a nice tube for them so that could be why too.

Either borrow a good amp or buy one, I think your HD580 might have a lot more to offer you.

It's an okay deal, I picked up a pair of HD650 for $320 from J&R awhile back. Either way if you are in the market for an HD600/650 I would not hesitate as they don't go on sale too often.
I bought mine for $180 refurbished from Amazon five years ago. It seems to me, even the new ones were cheaper at the time. I am still kicking myself that I didn't buy the AKG K-1000s when they were on sale for $500 new though. :eek:

I bought mine for $180 refurbished from Amazon five years ago. It seems to me, even the new ones were cheaper at the time. I am still kicking myself that I didn't buy the AKG K-1000s when they were on sale for $500 new though. :eek:

where do you find these deals?!?!?!?!?! i've been looking at senns hd650s for 6 months and the price hasn't dropped.

where do you find these deals?!?!?!?!?! i've been looking at senns hd650s for 6 months and the price hasn't dropped.

You gotta be quick, they are gone very fast. You can't rely on slickdeals because its gone before its posted.

Either borrow a good amp or buy one, I think your HD580 might have a lot more to offer you.
I have a pretty good solid state amp, but a littledot's on my list. I've been having so much fun with the tf10's tho...so its way down the list.

You should just go to head-fi and wait for HD650's or HD600's to go on sale. They are usually on sale for around $250 if they don't have upgraded cables. Plus, being head-fi they are almost always in mint condition. Cheers!

Man, this is a pretty smoking deal and after picking up the Ultimate Ears Superfi 10s for me and my g/f, it looks like 2010 is a headphone windfall. I had some Senn 595s for most of the last decade, but they broke (grrrr). I've always wanted some 580s or 600s, but I continually miss the rare sales. This is really gonna put a squeeze on the budget, but might just have to do it.

Regarding the 650s vs the 600s, check out this top 20 headphone reviews from head-fi.org.

Ive ran my 580's stock for years. What mod did u do?

Removed some of the foam around the driver, changed the outside grill to the hd600 grill, got an hd650 cable, and put the super comfy hd650 head cushion in there.

More forward presentation and livelier sound. The HD600 and HD595 are for different types of listeners. The HD600 is more laid back.

Furthermore, the HD595 will be fine without an amplifier, but the HD600 will probably need an amp.

The HD600 is a much more demanding headphone and the plus side of the HD600 will grow with you as you get better components (amp, source, cables)

Removed some of the foam around the driver, changed the outside grill to the hd600 grill, got an hd650 cable, and put the super comfy hd650 head cushion in there.
Any links to guides or pics on this stuff? Doggy ate up the cable, so I'm using the 650 already...MUCH nicer than stock BTW.

When you mean livelier sound and forward presentation meaning what? I am kinda new to the audio terms. What I did get was that the HD600 can be upgradeable over time. If I decide tog et the HD600, can your recommend a basic setup? ie: amp, cables that is cheap for beginners?

The 580's were described as laid back as well. What I found this to mean was a non fatiguing, less "in your face" sound. If you've ever heard Grados...well, that's NOT laid back. :D

Some would say the 595's or 990's from Beyer can be more fun. But for myself, it's too intense...almost like someone screaming in your ear instead of singing softly from a distance.

Look here for more.

I'm going to go against the grain here and NOT recommend buying anything w/ the 600's for a little bit. Use it out of whatever you have (it was an alarm clock for me), then after sometime, get a new amp...a new source...maybe cables or mods later on. You'll get a much better feel for how the sound changes through the upgrade process. Do the same for burn in. Don't just take em off and let em run for hours...I've done that and missed out. :(

When you mean livelier sound and forward presentation meaning what? I am kinda new to the audio terms. What I did get was that the HD600 can be upgradeable over time. If I decide tog et the HD600, can your recommend a basic setup? ie: amp, cables that is cheap for beginners?

Skip the cable upgrade for now. Get that last.

To start, get a good USB DAC/Amp. If you already have a good soundcard, then consider getting a headphone amplifier. Head over to head-fi.org and ask around about amps. I haven't kept up on headphone amps too much since I've downsized to Koss KSC-35's and moved to speakers.

I've not heard many, but the best has been that littledot mk III I mentioned earlier. It does wonders for that famous Sennheiser "veil." This thread's got me on my toes about it again...great...bastards.

How does this headphones compare to the HD600?

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1290910932&sr=1-1

I just a zune hd 32gb and I am looking for a headphones to replace my skullcandy..

I bought those Sennheiser 595s back when they were new to the market for about $230 w/ tax/sh (which was a steal at the time. Nowadays they're around $170 w/ tax/sh). I would still be using them now if I hadn't dropped and broken them. For probably 98% of people, the 595s will be the best headphones they've ever owned and there will be little need to buy anything pricier... ever. This is especially true if your primary listening format is mp3s. No need to look for anything beyond the Senn 595s if that's the case. But if you do listen to CDs or other uncompressed audio and have spent a couple years doing so with speakers/headphones on par with the 595s, then at that point you'll have a pretty good idea of if you should bother spending more money on something pricier.

I've got access to a lot of gear because my family is loaded with musicians, and while the 595s aren't as good as some other cans I've used for a few months at a time, they 595s are plenty good enough that I'd recommend saving the extra ~$140-200 vs the Senn 600s until you KNOW it's time to upgrade.

10 years ago, I might have agreed with you. But when I had a chance to try out both the 570 and the 580, it became clear how profound a one bump upgrade could impact my listening comfort.

Also, the 595's are just as ugly as the 570's were. Something about odd numbers I suppose. :/

The Amazon price has increased to $285. Only $6, but who knows how much higher it'll climb and how fast.

10 years ago, I might have agreed with you. But when I had a chance to try out both the 570 and the 580, it became clear how profound a one bump upgrade could impact my listening comfort.

Also, the 595's are just as ugly as the 570's were. Something about odd numbers I suppose. :/

Well the looks are subjective since my g/f thinks my old 595s look much cooler than the 600s. As for the sound, Tsuyashu has a Zune that he was using with some Skullcandys. The Senn 595s are far superior to anything made under that brand and before recommending the guy buy a set of ~$300 headphones that probably cost more than his source unit, it might be prudent to do a more modest upgrade unless he plans on also buying an amp to power the 600s 'cuz a Zune sure ain't gonna cut it.

I agree with you 100% that the 580/600s both sound better than the 595s (no idea about the 570s, never heard 'em), but the 595s are still badass enough that this longtime head-fi member recently reviewed his top headphones and placed the 595s at #27 on the list. Not too shabby for a set of ~$170 cans considering the top 5 on his list cost between $4000 and ~$1200.

If they are better than the 650s then they are amazing. I got my 650s about a year ago for close to this price.

I thought the 595 came out after the 580? to replace it?

It came out after, yes, but it's not the 580's replacement. The 600 and 650 are.

At one point, the 580 was Sennheiser's top of the line headphone, and was phased out after the introduction of the 600. It also has the same drivers as the 600. The 595 is more like a successor to the 555 if anything.

If you can, try both and see what you like.. as the two will sound quite different. Like the 600/650, the 580 is more laid back and requires a decent amp to reach its full potential.

nice deal -- definitely time to upgrade my ancient 575's, lol :p

I agree with you 100% that the 580/600s both sound better than the 595s (no idea about the 570s, never heard 'em), but the 595s are still badass enough that this longtime head-fi member recently reviewed his top headphones and placed the 595s at #27 on the list. Not too shabby for a set of ~$170 cans considering the top 5 on his list cost between $4000 and ~$1200.
Well, this just goes to show how differently people hear things then. I completely agree with his comments on the AKG 1000's, despise the 701's, and think he's mad putting Sennheiser's 280's above the TF10's. The Grado 60's and Sony 7509's have no place next to them either.

Given this threads about the 600 deal, I'd love to hear any 580/600/650 owners experience with amps around the $300 mark. If there's one headphone that's been neglected, its that one. Too bad, cause they're by far the most comfortable.

Given this threads about the 600 deal, I'd love to hear any 580/600/650 owners experience with amps around the $300 mark. If there's one headphone that's been neglected, its that one. Too bad, cause they're by far the most comfortable.

I am running my 650s with the Xonar essence st amp (extra high gain 300-600ohms), nothing expensive by comparison to good dedicated amps and love them. I can't believe the sound I have been missing out on.

The 580/600/650 are in a different league than the 595 IMO.

I agree completely.

It came out after, yes, but it's not the 580's replacement. The 600 and 650 are.

At one point, the 580 was Sennheiser's top of the line headphone, and was phased out after the introduction of the 600. It also has the same drivers as the 600. The 595 is more like a successor to the 555 if anything.

If you can, try both and see what you like.. as the two will sound quite different. Like the 600/650, the 580 is more laid back and requires a decent amp to reach its full potential.

Aye, the 595, despite the naming scheme, are in no way a replacement to the 580. I really wanted the 580 or 600 back when I bought my 595s, but they cost difference was just too much for my budget at the time. Then about a year after I bought my 595s, I started seeing sales pop up about 2-3x a year on the 580s (but not the 600s) and the most recent one was last year for only $200!!! I missed out on that sale argh.

Back