[H]OT Samsung EVO 750GB SSD - $360

Bees

[H]ard|Gawd
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE750BW 2.5" 750GB SATA III TLC

$359 + free shipping from TigerDirect use coupon code JHL118303

or

$360.98 after shipping from Newegg.

OR

$359 from Amazon (they just lowered the price to match the other sites)

$0.48/GB. Not bad for a great SSD, and at the current price is a better deal than the 1TB at $495.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah...I'm pumped about this as well. I'm not building a new computer for @ least 9-12 months as I'm still trying to squeeze as much as I can from my old girl. Just the same, it will be nice to score a 1TB for a decent price. I guess my days with WD Black HD's might be coming to an end.

and with overprovisioning via partitioning say 75% of the drive as usable will allow the TLC to last like anything else

and with overprovisioning via partitioning say 75% of the drive as usable will allow the TLC to last like anything else

After 3 years with my first ssd and multiple ssds later I am not at all worried about the life span of TLC considering SSDs in general will surpass the life span of a HDD but a large margin. I still have every single SSD I bought working, in the same 3 year span I've had 3 Hard drives fail lol and all of those bought in the last 2 years.

Well that's good to know. i bought my lady a 500GB Samsung EVO that I'll over provision to 75% in OSX (which is stupid easy to do with diskutil, even after the fact). Her laptop is so old that it won't matter in a few years or so but should help the resale a bit.

SSDs are pretty much gravy, every box I've put them in has been solid.

Though, I'm thinking of getting a bunch of Samsung Evos for a non-production DB testbed to use in a bunch of mirrors. Still evaluating that.

Ordered one from Amazon. Gonna be a b-day present for the wife's laptop (Latitude E6430) that she uses for work (photo editing). Should help a lot from the stock HDD for transferring and editing hundreds of 30+ MB pics in PS and Lightroom.

Wow these really are coming down in prices. I still have 3 lower GB's laying around. Maybe time to sell them.

Maybe spending $80 more for a Crucial M500 960GB would be worth it:

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-adapter-Internal-CT960M500SSD1/dp/B00BQ8RGL6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394167644&sr=1-1&keywords=crucial+m500+960GB

Seen it as low as $420 I believe at Amazon. $80 for 210GB more isn't a bad deal. Just putting it out there. If you're paying that much for storage might as well spend a bit more? :p
$420? When/where? Currently:

80 new from $447.99 2 used from $403.16

I thought these were already over-provisioned out of the box?

See page 2 here. Total NAND checks in at 128, 256, 512, 750, and 1024 "real" gigabytes (or gibibytes)--point being 2^30 not 10^9.

Or do they need even more over-provisioning? My 250 definitely shows up at 233-ish in Windows, and since there are actually 256GiB/binary GB I figure that's over-provisioning and the TurboWrite buffer.

The 1TB 840 Evo just dropped another $10 from $499 to $489 on Amazon today.

I thought these were already over-provisioned out of the box?

See page 2 here. Total NAND checks in at 128, 256, 512, 750, and 1024 "real" gigabytes (or gibibytes)--point being 2^30 not 10^9.

Or do they need even more over-provisioning? My 250 definitely shows up at 233-ish in Windows, and since there are actually 256GiB/binary GB I figure that's over-provisioning and the TurboWrite buffer.

there are even more benefits from over-over provisioning. I saw some benchmarks at anandtech a while back where they took a samsung 840 pro and effectivley took like 75% of the drive for a usable partition and saw that steady-state (used, close to filled) perf was more, well, steady because there was more than ample nand for dirty page shuffling.

The prices on these are dropping like crazy every week, might as well wait till 1TB SSDs are under $200.

there are even more benefits from over-over provisioning. I saw some benchmarks at anandtech a while back where they took a samsung 840 pro and effectivley took like 75% of the drive for a usable partition and saw that steady-state (used, close to filled) perf was more, well, steady because there was more than ample nand for dirty page shuffling.

Now I'm curious where diminishing returns kick in on over-over provisioning. My 250 is not even half full... Does "over-provision" here mean empty space even if the OS can see it, or only "empty and hidden?"

Keeping dropping.
1390377810484.gif

The 1TB 840 Evo just dropped another $10 from $499 to $489 on Amazon today.

Shows another small drop to $485 now for me... must resist..... tax money needed for bills... gah.

I ordered the 750GB for $359 last night. I'm sure Amazon will refund the difference right now if I ask, but i wonder if they will again if it drops again within a month? So maybe I should wait to see if it drops again to request a price guarantee match?

So maybe I should wait to see if it drops again to request a price guarantee match?

Or, the price will go back to normal in a few weeks, and you loose the $10 they would've offered.

Not sure about Amazon, but I think most places will only price match once.

Maybe.. request $10 price match. Keep product sealed for a few weeks, and if price lowers further, then return and re-order at the cheaper price?

Or, the price will go back to normal in a few weeks, and you loose the $10 they would've offered.

Not sure about Amazon, but I think most places will only price match once.

Maybe.. request $10 price match. Keep product sealed for a few weeks, and if price lowers further, then return and re-order at the cheaper price?

Yeah, I wouldn't fret much over $10 though, so I think I'll just wait to see if it drops any more and PM if it does. I can't keep it packaged though because it's a bday gift for my wife, hah.

Welp ... I bit. Didn't really need this, as I just got the 500GB version three months ago and it's only half full. Bit the bullet anyway though. Couldn't resist. It won't be costing me that much once I sell my 500GB EVO. At least that's what I keep telling myself. :D

I just got the 750gb evo one right now.

Was sick of my 120gb drive being full, and somehow 100$ more for 250 gb more over the 500 seemed to me like I wouldnt have to bother with my ssd for another while.

I dont have time to mess around with my computer so I will probably just do an image swap of my current ssd to the new evo and put the old one in a box or something.

Still have those 2 WD black 600gb for backup and storage.

Back