[H]ot: Refurb'd HP ZR30w IPS for $670USD

Skripka

[H]F Junkie
Myself and Mssr Bob_Dole got these...you're buying refurb, but we both anyway got pixel perfect and got them quickly. Comes in HP Refurb packaging with all accessories, and comes ready to use (assembled on stand). YMMV of course with pixel perfection. Free shipping was fast too. Great deal that even straight from HP refurb it $1K. Even Ebaying seldom goes below $700 shipped or no.

http://www.compsource.com/pn/VM617A4RABA/Hewlett_Packard_Hp_195/

We hadn't heard of them before, but worked out great

i liked my zr30w but the heat output is alot. I'd honestly wait for a u3014 to be fixed from their problems and pay the minimal price difference when those refurbs go on sale but if you can't wait, the zr30w is a decent monitor.

The ZR30W is a great monitor, but I will second the words from spressa112 it is a heat monster. It has no OSD and as a result is one of the few 30's that doesn't have a huge input latency so if you want to use a 30 for gaming this is a good pick. The stand on it is awesome, easily one of the best out there in terms of its ease of use and sturdiness.

Oh god, oh god, oh god...do I press the button? Been wanting a 30''....and this deal is HOT!

I have a ZR24w and I must say, HP monitor stands are amazing.
2x

also my 24" cooks me alive to the point I wish I had waited for the LED version, can't imagine the heat output on the higher resolution big brother version :eek:
but [H]ot deal on that bad boy and i don't mean literally, enjoy

I heard 30" monitors have a crappy picture and you should really only go as big as 27". Is this true?

I heard 30" monitors have a crappy picture and you should really only go as big as 27". Is this true?

At 1080p, yes. 27 inch is about the biggest I'd go there. These are 1600p though, and these also have some of the lowest input latency out there. Definitely one of the best gaming 30" monitors out there.

When you say 'heat monster' what do you really mean? Like plasma TV types of heat or what? I need a monitor, and if these are that good then I may have to pull the trigger.

in b4 NCX comes and incorrectly bashes the screen for faults it doesnt have.

looks like a good deal if you get one thats slightly used, its been out for 3 years.

When you say 'heat monster' what do you really mean? Like plasma TV types of heat or what? I need a monitor, and if these are that good then I may have to pull the trigger.

I can't see how it would be that big of a deal. It's a 30" monitor, so you shouldn't exactly be using it with your nose planted against the screen. Maximum power draw is 185W and 130W typical, so it can't be THAT hot.

Nice monitor - I have one and a Dell 3008WFP on my desk at work. When they make a 30" that strobes I am all over it for the house.

Its not a ridiculous amount of heat, but it is noticeable and you will likely feel it depending on how close you sit.

At 1080p, yes. 27 inch is about the biggest I'd go there. These are 1600p though, and these also have some of the lowest input latency out there. Definitely one of the best gaming 30" monitors out there.

Yup. Had time for some Mass Effect 3 last night. No visible increase in latency over the TN panels I was using.

Look it is a CCFL backlit monitor...and it is big. If you compare it to an LED panel, sure it is "hot". You compare it to any other CCFL panel be it IPS or TN, it is a bit warmer after all it is a huge panel, but you're not going to burn your hand on it by a long shot.

ZR30W puts out 150W or so of heat. Put that in perspective, your body sinks about 90Calories or 100W of heat normally into the environment.

Its not a ridiculous amount of heat, but it is noticeable and you will likely feel it depending on how close you sit.

It's only ridiculous if you live in a studio or some small room that holds in heat too well.

It's only ridiculous if you live in a studio or some small room that holds in heat too well.

Say rather...it is only ridiculous if your room is so small that it gets hot when more than 2 human beings are inside at once.

What model Westy do you have? I'm assuming for Computer use?

Yes LVM-37W3 classic tv monitor.

I think alot of TV's get a bad rap because they are not made to be used as monitors, have input lag or are not 4,4,4 which they MUST have all these thing to have a clear gamable picture. Now it does not have the resolution but I'm worried I might miss the large screen for gaming. I have like 5- montiors and none are LED yet so I was thinking my next purchase should be LED to try it out, but this seems like a smokin deal. When people come over they are usually shocked when they see the screen, and none of ever complained it was not clear.

Yes LVM-37W3 classic tv monitor.

I think alot of TV's get a bad rap because they are not made to be used as monitors, have input lag or are not 4,4,4 which they MUST have all these thing to have a clear gamable picture. Now it does not have the resolution but I'm worried I might miss the large screen for gaming. I have like 5- montiors and none are LED yet so I was thinking my next purchase should be LED to try it out, but this seems like a smokin deal. When people come over they are usually shocked when they see the screen, and none of ever complained it was not clear.

Thanks man :)

I bit. Sort of regretting it after reading reviews of that site, but I already have a tracking number so lets see how it goes.

I bit. Sort of regretting it after reading reviews of that site, but I already have a tracking number so lets see how it goes.
Geez... I just read the same far less than stellar reviews. Not too comfortable pulling the trigger, now.

Good luck, man!

as i said earlier, it's not like 2008 plasma tv hot but it was noticeably hotter than my led displays. it's a big enough deal for me now since the zr30w is a slightly older model now too. I think the 27" korean panels or even the 30" korean panels offer similar value and are led backlit. If the u3014 didn't have issues, i would've kept mine and i intend on getting another one if they fix those issues....or until a really nice 4k monitor comes down in price. if seiki releases a 30-39" 4k with 60hz for $1200 or less, i'll do that in a heartbeat.

Geez... I just read the same far less than stellar reviews. Not too comfortable pulling the trigger, now.

Good luck, man!

Bob and Skripka thought the same thing and played the test dummies. They both received theirs EXTREMELY fast. No problems at all.

I can say when running 1 I never could tell any heat on my face or "feel it".

However, when I turn on my 2nd 30" then I can start feeling the heat on my face after 2hrs or so of work. I couldn't run 3x30 for more than 2hrs so I replaced my other 30" with my older Dell 21", and no more huge heat in my face.

If you're concerned about heat from a SINGLE 30" I wouldn't be unless your room is very tiny.

As soon as the latest gen 30"s from dell get fixed, and maybe even 1-2yr from now I`ll def. be dropping down to a 30" that uses 1/2 as much power!!

Good luck, man!

Thing about reviews of merchants is that the only people who write them are either pissed customers who got a lemon...or merchants who pay for reviews to be written. I'll admit I read the same thing. I felt better buying off a site with a CC than FleaBay PayPal though as the CC has my back if things go south.

Bob and Skripka thought the same thing and played the test dummies. They both received theirs EXTREMELY fast. No problems at all.

Yup. And if I may say so between free shipping that was 2 days....and Bob_Dole calling customer support and getting a helpful answer....I'm amazed I hadn't heard of this seller before. I'd buy again at least based on this one major expense.

Skripka - Any faults like bad pixels with your ZR30? I went ahead and bought one.

No stuck pixels that I have yet found.

Only "flaws" I've seen. The only thing I've found wrong with the panel so far is that on its own the LCD wants to sit in the stand a bit unlevel WRT my desk by a couple millimeters. Only reason I noticed is because I have a soundbar right below and one side is a bit higher than the other. TBH my desk isn't flat perfectly level either.

The cosmetic metal banding around the edge doesn't sit uniformly in its nook at the corners compared to in the middle of the side. Which, who cares.

That is it, otherwise looks and performs new and perfectly like you'd expect and hope. Only reason I would know that it is refurb is that the panel came assembled on its stand unlike new and the box had "REFURB" stickers on it.

Of note, HP warranties these refurb panels for a year after the merchant acquires them. So BOTH Bob_Dole and I had panels that had warranties starting in May this year and go through May of next year. You can ask CompSource for your panel S/N while it is in the mail, and look up the warranty status online.

Well I already got a tracking number, and its expected to deliver tomorrow. Nice!

Anyone want to buy a Shimian 27'' Monitor? =D

Heads up folks, I hit an issue with display corruption/artification even in UEFI/BIOS last night after 2 days of smooth sailing. Does it on another machine, so it isn't just my GPU or the cables or the system....I called HP SMB support (that is what the listing says about RMA/issues, call HP). They agree something got hinkey'd in the panel. Today as my luck would have it, HP's SMB monitor deptartment are "upgrading" their RMA software so they cannot verify warranties in order to file or process RMAs as the software is down...so I'll call tomorrow. HP SMB was quite helpful as they could be though, and have people on their phones 24/7 even when their RMA system is down. Kudos to them. So long as my warranty status gets verified, the agent I talked to said it was possible to get a new panel advance RMA'd overnight or 2nd-day-air to me early this coming week with comp'd shipping.

I will note that the GPU in this system is hinky to start with. For example in Windows it will not display an image unless the GPU sees more than one panel is plugged into DVI. So what the source/cause was I do not know. While I'm at it I'm replacing the GPU as well, just to eliminate another piece of problematic hardware that may or may not be related.

I'll keep y'all updated about this. I don't want to induce panic by any means in ye who made like I did.

I also contacted CompSource, but haven't gotten an answer back from them yet.

Last edited:
Got it in the mail today v buy have yet to play with it. It came when I was leaving for work. 1130 is coming so slowly....

Alright I got out early.

A 27'' Korean Monitor IPS at 1440P is nice - really nice. However, this 30'' is something completely different - it's absolutely breathtaking on how awesome and clear it looks. I can tell the difference with the lighting but it just looks so awesome. I was hesitant, but it was totally worth it. Compsource also shipped it out and I had it in a day. Talk about fast service!

So far, no dead pixels, but there is something between the backlight and the monitor (see pictures). I could probably open it up and get rid of it, but right now its no big deal. Here's some picks:

HGyJITO.jpg

WbIbpFI.jpg

BY4KwC0.jpg

H8RxdVo.jpg

Back