[H]OT - Microcenter AMD sale (2600x - 79.99, 3600x - 159.99, 3700x - 259.99, 3800x - 279.99, 3950x - 699.99) + $20 mobo discount!

You complain about 50 miles? 200 miles here but it's through all of LA so more like the equivalent of 300 miles.

Yeah I am complaining cause its not worth 100 miles + gas + time to buy one component lol

If it was closer Id probably be spending way too much money there!

You complain about 50 miles? 200 miles here but it's through all of LA so more like the equivalent of 300 miles.
Well 50 miles is a pain in the ass drive, how long it takes depends on how much freeway access is there and how bad traffic gets. 200 miles is not within a radius of drivable distance just to go to save a few bucks on a processor, I mean hell the gas alone would probably make it cost more than online pricing.

Why would anyone do that? No decent folk would pull something like that.
Costco mentality. "Hey I want a price match" "sorry it's been too long to do that... but you can return it, and rebuy it" like seriously not quite certain as to why stores operate the way they do.

Hell I had to do that at Ikea once, they wouldn't price match me but they're more than happy to take a return, being as Ikea is not exactly close by I simply bought a new one, then returned it using the old receipt, voila instant price match. The upside is it was an unopened box, so they could just put it on their shelf again.

Been a while since I bought a CPU, I think each one has an individual serial number so that wouldn't quite work, but if you bring in the old one... yeah sorry charlie, your policy says I can return stuff much longer than you'll price match, you left a loophole for me to get what I want.

I think the reason is that price matching a previously sold product is a markdown and money off the stores profit, while a return/rebuy is not a loss/markdown.

My friends who live further down in South NJ (Brick) make the 90~ mile round trip to Micro Center.

Closest one to me is 3 hours and 20 mins. I want to go just to experience it lol . Nothing like that around Lincoln NE. Bought a 3950x about 7 weeks ago for $843.11 with tax.

Sure the drive is far. But its all about the experience. You get to see all the motherboards, bread board kits, Raspberry Pi's and all the add-on parts, water cooled PC's on display, cheap drone toys, etc. It's a shitload more fun than going to Bestbuy :rolleyes:
Plus if you need to build a PC like TODAY, the option is out there.

thankfully I only have to pay about $2 in tolls to go to my MC and not $50.

Sure the drive is far. But its all about the experience. You get to see all the motherboards, bread board kits, Raspberry Pi's and all the add-on parts, water cooled PC's on display, cheap drone toys, etc. It's a shitload more fun than going to Bestbuy :rolleyes:
Plus if you need to build a PC like TODAY, the option is out there.
yes, if you're going to make a day of it then that's one thing, if you're going to go because you simply want that cheap CPU? eh... well again depends what your time is worth to you. Back when Fry's was still good, and there still was a Microcenter in Santa Clara it'd take 45minutes each way if there was no traffic to visit either store, which isn't much compared to some people, but I'm not a big fan of throwing away 1.5 hours of a day just to drive to one place unless it's absolutely necessary, then factor in stuff that was returned that was damaged but missed by "quality control" and having to make that trip twice and yeah doesn't really make me want to care about saving anything.

And while I'm not really big on needing to see motherboards in person, I will say if getting a new case those are definitely things you want to see in person if possible.

thankfully I only have to pay about $2 in tolls to go to my MC and not $50.
Yeah no shit, $50 just to drive on the road? And they say California taxes the shit out of you. Here at most you need to pay $7-8 to cross a bridge (if you're going to the opposite side of the bay)

Yeah no shit, $50 just to drive on the road? And they say California taxes the shit out of you. Here at most you need to pay $7-8 to cross a bridge (if you're going to the opposite side of the bay)
I left Mc yesterday with a 2700x, gigabyte b450m motherboard, and 16gb 3200mhz ram, all open box, for $230 plus tax. Not a bad deal, worth the $2 toll road. 😂

I just kind of expected after moving to California that things like this would be closer but nope. I think everything between LA and San Francisco is considered flyover country; I guess that's OK though because I consider those places hellholes that I'd never want to live in.
Only 754 miles for me!! Could do the trip in a little over 24 hours lol.

I just kind of expected after moving to California that things like this would be closer but nope. I think everything between LA and San Francisco is considered flyover country; I guess that's OK though because I consider those places hellholes that I'd never want to live in.
I hear you, I grew up in SoCal, left Huntington Beach in 2014, which is about 25 minutes from the only Cali Micro Center. In Oregon now and happy to be out of that place.

But seeing these sales does make me a bit jelly, not enough to go back though.

is 3600 vs 3600x that huge of a difference? I live in vegas so it wouldn't be easy to switch them out. Someone convince me its not that big of a deal!
The unlocked multipliers are worth it imo. Cpus can be made to last so much longer and some overclocking is easy for anyone at hard. I never buy non unlocked cpus anymore.

Stupid Microcenter, they were literally in the process of opening a new store in my city right as the 2008 financial stuff went down and they pulled the plug. Soooo pissed, sooo many missed deals. F U Microjerks being In Store only and not in every state.

Stupid Microcenter, they were literally in the process of opening a new store in my city right as the 2008 financial stuff went down and they pulled the plug. Soooo pissed, sooo many missed deals. F U Microjerks being In Store only and not in every state.

Microjerks lol

3900X down to $389.99. I assume this is in response to the 10900K release.

OMG

My local MC has the Crosshair VI hero WIFI (x370) for $120 (no mobo discount). $519+ tax and a 45 minute drive.....What are the chances it'll come out of the box with a bios late enough to support the 3900x ?

OMG

My local MC has the Crosshair VI hero WIFI (x370) for $120 (no mobo discount). $519+ tax and a 45 minute drive.....What are the chances it'll come out of the box with a bios late enough to support the 3900x ?
It should have a sticker on it if it does. You can always ask for them to update it for you.

OMG

Zero percent, but the board has USB bios flashback which means you can update the bios without a CPU: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568/

OMG

\

Ask them before you leave the store.
It should have a sticker on it if it does. You can always ask for them to update it for you.

Yeah, just ask a sales rep before you leave the store.

Micro Center has proactively updated select X470 and B450 chipset motherboards to have available to our customers with the release of these new CPUs - these boards which have gone through this process will be designated with a sticker on the box indicating Ryzen 3000 Series Compatible. Check with your Micro Center Sales Associate or Knowledge Expert before leaving the store to understand the status of the board you are selecting, whether the BIOS has been or will need to be updated, and what next steps will be necessary.

Gah, that Crosshair VI is tempting, but without the discount it's effectively $139. Not bad, but being X370 you're going to be locked out of the 4000 series CPU's coming out. I guess one could buy one, and snag a 3700/3900 when they drop in price after the 4000 series launches.

I'm on an ASRock Fatal1ty B450 with 3600x, with a 1080 Ti. The plan was to snag the 4700x with a B550 and either a 3080 or AMD equivalent. Primarily use is Rift S gaming. With the PS5 and XBox launching, with 8/16 processors, I figured the jump to an 8/16 would be worth it. I've always purchased "budget" motherboards (< $120), and they've suited me well. For my next build, I was wanting to up my game and get a $250-$300 board, as I figure with the 4000 series, it's going to last me many years before games require anything faster.

Decisions...decisions....

Gah, that Crosshair VI is tempting, but without the discount it's effectively $139. Not bad, but being X370 you're going to be locked out of the 4000 series CPU's coming out. I guess one could buy one, and snag a 3700/3900 when they drop in price after the 4000 series launches.

I'm on an ASRock Fatal1ty B450 with 3600x, with a 1080 Ti. The plan was to snag the 4700x with a B550 and either a 3080 or AMD equivalent. Primarily use is Rift S gaming. With the PS5 and XBox launching, with 8/16 processors, I figured the jump to an 8/16 would be worth it. I've always purchased "budget" motherboards (< $120), and they've suited me well. For my next build, I was wanting to up my game and get a $250-$300 board, as I figure with the 4000 series, it's going to last me many years before games require anything faster.

Decisions...decisions....

I'd personally rather save the $80 & put it towards a post-x570 board when those come out, IMHO... The crosshair VII is +$80 with the same featureset.

Edit: The $20 discount showed up when I added it to card. Board is $100...

1590012014922.png

Last edited:
I think I know what I may be doing with the day off I took on Friday.....I checked out with the cart above. Coming from Z97 4770k.....

So I picked mine up today & I noticed after I got home someone had been inside the motherboard box. How do I know? I found two envelopes with cards made out to a sales associate & printed out customer feedback.....Trying to decide if I should return it or not.

GAH. After I arrived, I then had to wait 6 deep in the "internet order pickup line" and after I got to the front it took them 20 minutes to find my order. I had received a "ready to pickup" order yesterday so not sure what the holdup was.

Last edited:
Back