[H]OT - Hitachi Deskstar 2 TB 3.5-Inch CoolSpin RPM SATA III 6Gbps$69.99 (Dead Deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great deal, especially for those of us in California and have Amazon Prime. Thanks. :)

Are these pretty much server drives or would they be fine for desktop use?

Low power (5940rpm) drives considered consumer drives, but Hitachi's are friendly towards RAID controllers making them "decent" low power consumer drives for servers also.

good catch OP, TY

Was able to order 2 with free 2 day shipping

Last edited:
I know this is a bit of YMMV question, but what's the general reliability of Hitachi drives?

I bought one of these during the shellshocker deals and it's been running fine in my whs. It runs on average 3 degrees cooler than my wd 2tb, which is interesting.

I know this is a bit of YMMV question, but what's the general reliability of Hitachi drives?

Ask that in the Data Storage forum and you'll find the folks with 20+ drive systems commonly use Hitachi 7K300 from the previous gen and a lot are buying the 5K300's now. If I annualized failures for the 40+ 2TB Hitachi's I have I would be around 2.5% AFR which is pretty decent, and I hit drives harder than the average desktop or home NAS user.

I bought one of these during the shellshocker deals and it's been running fine in my whs. It runs on average 3 degrees cooler than my wd 2tb, which is interesting.

that is interesting. how long have you had em? how long do you run them a day on average? Is the server always on? how is hitachi's reliability compared to WD I usually just buy wd but newegg is selling their green drive for 79 at the moment probably in answer to this price point set by amazon. is the wd worth the extra $10?

also newegg shipped my 2tb wd drive very poorly last time almost no protection for the drive. Is amazons shipping of drives any better?

edited: for spelling.

Last edited:
that is interesting. how long have you had em? how long do you run them a day on average? Is the server always on? how is hitachi's reliable compared to WD I usually just buy wd but newegg is selling their green drive for 79 at the moment probably in answer to this price point set by amazon. is the wd worth the extra $10?

also newegg shipped my 2tb wd drive very poorly last time almost no protection for the drive. Is amazons shipping of drives any better?

No long, I bought the hitachi about 3 weeks ago. The server is on 24/7. Funny thing is, newegg shipped the hitachi drive in a WD hdd box.

Hitachi Deskstar 2 TB 3.5-Inch CoolSpin RPM SATA III 6Gbps 32 MB Cache Internal Hard Drive 0F12117
$69.99 - Quantity: 1 - Usually ships in 1 to 2 months
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

Mine says ships between March 14 and April 21. HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM

eventhough it is great deal, i'm never going with hitachi for simple reason, i got two of their drive both back in days when SATA was new, i got 400 GBs and my luck both of their connection ports broke. although i tapped it up and made it work they did lasted me for about 3 and half years (after the braking of connection ports on HD) but still i'm never buying them for it. i did checked few more drives and their ports are kinda stiff compare to others.

Guys you better look before ordering it says ships within 1-2 months on the page.

Usually ships within 1 - 2 months.

Free Standard Shipping

Guys you better look before ordering it says ships within 1-2 months on the page.

Usually ships within 1 - 2 months.

Free Standard Shipping

Yeah, went out of stock a few hours ago. Amazon does not carry much stock so whenever they have a deal one needs to act fast.

Yeah. They usually let people back order at the sale price once they run out. They don't charge your card till they ship.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah this is one of the many reasons I buy from Amazon, they let me order it even though it is out of stock.

I know its a silly question, but what's the point of doing SATA3 when the drive itself could barely max out SATA1 ? Just to be deceptive and lure people in with 6Gbps/sec transfer rate claims on the package??

I know its a silly question, but what's the point of doing SATA3 when the drive itself could barely max out SATA1 ? Just to be deceptive and lure people in with 6Gbps/sec transfer rate claims on the package??

RAID, although you'd need some pretty large arrays to come close to SATA3 limits.

Received mine today at ~6AM (ah, I love Prime). It came double boxed, has the blue PCB, and manufactured date of Dec. 2010.

[RCKY] Thor;1036909614 said:
In for 3 for my new Synology NAS. Perfect timing.

Which Synology NAS did you get? I was about to look up if these drives are on the compatibility list for the DS410.

awesome in for 2, will make a nice upgrade for my 1tb WD green drives that are getting a little full.

expected not to ship until the 15th but I can live until then.

Got mine yesterday, however had class right after work and was unable to pop them in the server yet. Each drive came in a box only big enough to fit the single drive, then the two drives were put in a larger box. It looks very good and clean, however I am worried about how well cardboard absorbs the shock during shipping. A layer of bubble would have made me feel better. Again, all speculation as I have not tried the drives and run tests yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back