[H]OT? G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3

I paid exact same price about a week ago for exact same item except 1333 instead of 1600. Good deal then is even better deal now.

semi accurate claims the memory price will tank in Q4 from the glut of inventory everyone is sitting on...
if you have immediate need (software xyz runs poorly/won't run without it), then by all means buy now (I paid $150 for 16GB some months ago)
if you're buying for gloating rights, might not be a bad idea to sit on the decision for a few more months.

Hmm, this was pretty much the model I was waiting for to hit $40 for 8gig, still tempted to wait and see if it hits $30 though.

Nice price. Crap that's cheap. I'm sorely tempted to get a couple sets, but what the hell would I do with 16gb of memory? I really doubt that I'm even using the 8gb that I have now.

I think this set has been on sale for $35 not long ago. I believe this is an older set. I have a set like this. No issues at all.

I will wait for another $35 deal before I buy. Need to stock up as well for the upcoming chips/new builds. Wonder if this means ddr4 will be coming fairly soon.

Buy while you can because prices will soon go through the roof as they usually do.

Probably 2014
There is nothing credible out to back that up. Recent articles on the memory industry suggest that prices will keep dropping.

That would be really nice. Current prices are already at least half of what I paid for the stix I have.

This current deal; I paid $100 for about 10mos ago:mad: never fails. No matter how good a deal it will eventually be cheaper than when you decide to buy.

On the ram prices going up; probably when ddr4 comes around. I remember last year I think it was when prices went through the roof.
I am loving the current prices :D
too bad everything else didn't drop in price like ram has

G-Skill DDR3 is ALWAYS cheap. No need to rush. Great RAM prices should last for a few more months, but my motto is: the one who dies with the most RAM wins.

Just as a FYI... I have this memory (7 kits to be exact), and they can be flashed to work @ 1333 CAS8.

Just as a FYI... I have this memory (7 kits to be exact), and they can be flashed to work @ 1333 CAS8.

Why would you do that. There's actually increased latency (remember ratings are clock cycles), and decreased bandwidth.

Some systems don't support DDR3-1600..

Interesting. I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the machine would just run it at the highest speed it could run. In doing so, I do not know if it would decrease the CAS numbers though. Is that why you would want to flash it (better CAS latency)?

Correct...
You could also flash the modules in an OC mode...

I've been able to run these modules @ DDR3-1434 CAS8 (IIRC)

never heard of anyone "flashing" memory

If you want to take the red pill, head over to the dc subforum and see how deep the rabbithole goes...

When you start talking about 2P and 4P systems sporting 24-48 cores, memory latency begins to have a much larger impact...

Are they just misstating setting memory settings in the bios as "flashing"?

Thanks - that is what I thought. You would just change the timings in bios and it would detected the faster CAS ratings because of the decrease in clock speed.

If you change the timings in the bios (manually), the memory frequency will not change.

However, if you change the memory frequency and leave the memory timings at auto, your BIOS should use the SPD settings to configure the timings accordingly.

It is possible to flash the SPD profiles stored in EEPROM on memory modules, but I rather doubt DSee is truly doing this. It would make zero sense to go through this effort.

If you change the timings in the bios (manually), the memory frequency will not change.

However, if you change the memory frequency and leave the memory timings at auto, your BIOS should use the SPD settings to configure the timings accordingly.

It is possible to flash the SPD profiles stored in EEPROM on memory modules, but I rather doubt DSee is truly doing this. It would make zero sense to go through this effort.

That's exactly what we're doing. Flashing the SPD with tighter timings (XMP+).
It makes a lot of sense if you're OC'ing and want to get the most out of your modules.

It makes a lot of sense if you're OC'ing and want to get the most out of your modules.

What is the benefit of that over changing the memory speed and/or the timings in BIOS?

There's no benefit to flashing vs. just changing the settings in your BIOS.

You risk ruining the memory by writing to the EEPROM.

There's no benefit to flashing vs. just changing the settings in your BIOS.

You risk ruining the memory by writing to the EEPROM.

Most of the server motherboard's BIOS does not allow custom timing.
Yes, this could ruin the memory if done incorrectly.

You answered a question you don't know the answer to based on no information. :rolleyes:

We are indeed flashing to the spd eeprom on the ram to get around bios limitations on server boards. The boards will set themselves to timings programmed into spd correctly but you cannot set options in bios. Typically guys take ram that would default to 1333 cl9 and run it at 1333 cl 6-6-6, the performance gains across 24 or 48 cores is as appreciable as a 100-200 mhz or so worth of cpu clockspeed (across each of the cores).

You answered a question you don't know the answer to based on no information. :rolleyes:

We are indeed flashing to the spd eeprom on the ram to get around bios limitations on server boards. The boards will set themselves to timings programmed into spd correctly but you cannot set options in bios. Typically guys take ram that would default to 1333 cl9 and run it at 1333 cl 6-6-6, the performance gains across 24 or 48 cores is as appreciable as a 100-200 mhz or so worth of cpu clockspeed (across each of the cores).

I did...

I just mistakenly assumed earlier that they weren't really flashing the RAMs ROM.

I did...

I just mistakenly assumed earlier that they weren't really flashing the RAMs ROM.

No harm no foul, our folders are a pretty [H]ardcore bunch and a lot of the things we do wouldn't make much sense outside of the DC realm.:p

Back