[H]OT!! Free Wifi Router!

Frosty_the_dopeman

Weaksauce
Alright, I thought this was a bogus deal at first too, but it's not, I just placed my order. It's 100% free, no shipping, no nothing.

http://www.fon.com/gigaom/

It's a pretty cool community, once you get your router you can set it up as an access point and generate revenue from the people who use it, or get free wifi roaming world-wide. Very nice!

--Frosty

Seems like it's free if you promise to use it. They use some personal information from when you sign up and plop your location of a map for all to see. I'm guessing they want to set up some global wifi network. I signed up I'll see what happens.

Your isp restricts you on a lot of things, but the fact that I can flash linux on to it makes 100% worth it. I'm going to read through the terms, supposedly it's yours after one year of service which is no big deal to me.
(Now all I need is a way to add enough storage on it to host cvs and a webserver)

You can get dd-wrt on it, and hack a serial port and a mmc/sd port on it. It has 16 megs ram and 8 flash. And almost altoids tin size. Too bad it has no usb port on it. Supposedly fon is designing a usb enabled one but will sell at 60/80 bucks. Maybe it will go down to 20/5/free after some time.

what if i signed up, but I don't want it any longer and I don't have it plugged in. Can they do something to me?
DamN i should have lied about my name ...

"There are no downloads, no contract and no hassle. So what are you waiting for? Join FON!"

No contracts, so I assume they won't come after you if you don't keep using it.

I hate this..... why can't it ever be shipped to Canada....

I would have loved to have this...

so basically someone else who is registered can log onto your wifi, use your external IP and do something illegal you will be blamed for? seems an iffy area.

what if i get it and dont use it, are they going to come and get me!

so basically someone else who is registered can log onto your wifi, use your external IP and do something illegal you will be blamed for? seems an iffy area.

I read the only way they can use it is with their FON login information to get on your WiFi though, that's the catch...

I for one, am not getting this because I can go to pretty much get internet any place of business now... they'll have internet wirelessly around the whole place and you simply drive up and use it for what you need then drive off (Denny's ftw)

Even now, I learned this entire city of Miami Beach is getting their own wireless w/ high speed internet for everyone to use. http://www.miamibeachfl.gov/newcity/press/press05/wifi.asp

It's just a matter of time before the internet will be anywhere you want it on the entire Globe... literally.

They also have a new firmware that has yet to be cracked.

The other firmwares people found ways to install their own software, but the newest one has yet to be infiltrated.

So you will not be able to hack these...yet.

They also have a new firmware that has yet to be cracked.

The other firmwares people found ways to install their own software, but the newest one has yet to be infiltrated.

So you will not be able to hack these...yet.
umm, solder a serial port header on and log in?

The guides I saw did not work on the newer versions even through serial, so sorry about that :p

Not yet... Although now I'm begining to question it's security as I would have to plug this thing in behind my firewall. Whats keeping some one from accessing my network or hosting some sort of server. I could probably subnet the things ip, but I still dont see a particularly easy way to prevent some one hosting something on one of my open ports.

Edit: lol, yeah thats right I actually have to point the port to certain hosts... duh =)

This promotion is only valid until Sunday 4th of February, 2007, 23:59 GMT.

wow i read that as "only good until the 4th sunday in february....damn

Just received mine in the mail (ordered on 2/3/07). Gotta say that was the fastest return on a freebie I've ever had, and it's also probably the coolest/most useful one I've ever gotten to boot. Haven't hooked it up yet but the specs on the back look pretty damn nice and as long as it manages to function I'm one satisfied customer.

[EDIT] For those of you who wanted pictures I snapped one real quick: http://s87827163.onlinehome.us/pix/router.jpg

I also have recieved mine. I must say this is a very nice product and it was free. It came Fed-Ex and I have no idea what could be in the box. It was a very nice surprise. :D

Got mine, too. I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't have more than one Ethernet port, but hey, it's free. Tiny as hell, to boot.

I have one too, although I won't be plugging it into my network...

What on earth could these things be used for, other than their intended purpose?

I got one of these in the mail today, came FedEx. I don't really care for the whole sharing my internet with the world thing, can these things be used as a regular router with a firmware flash, or anything else for that matter? :confused:

Wish mine would come. =(

It runs linux, so once people find another way to start ssh on it you will be able to run just about anything you want that works within the limits of the hardware. (low memory / cpu power)

I got mine today too. So those of you who haven't gotten theirs yet should be seeing theirs soon. Mine was revision 0.7.0.4, which is still hackable; already enabled SSH on mine, was a piece of cake. You can tell the revision either in the router's status page, or if you open it up, flip over the pcb, and its labeled on one of the tiny stickers. I believe 0.7.1.2 is the latest revision though.

Sheese, WWW::Mechanize has a million dependencies, one of which craps out on me. I'm trying on windows with activeperl now...

Edit: Activeperl worked fine, got dropbear running, compiling a cygwin client. ;o)

I stopped messing with it a while ago, could some one walk me through the public key authentication for dropbear? I've never used them before. (Looking around the net in the meantime)

Edit2: Just got in with a normal ssh client when I tried, hurray! =)

I got my Fon today, really sturdy really nice looking. Comes brand new with a ton of stuff and a nice glossy manual. Seems like something that you would get at retail for $150. Shure as hell came nicer then any other PC hardware I've ever gotten. BEST OF ALL ITS FREE :). This rocks, lmfao, thanks for the deal.

Still havent received mine, and two emails to Fon (one almost 2 weeks ago) went unanswered. Yet they say they try to respond within 24 hours :/

Back