[H]OT-Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 Dual 4ohm subwoofer $50

Thats the sub driver used in their A3-300 subwoofer.

$50 seems like a downright steal for someone looking to build or refurbish a subwoofer, especially if you need multiples.

FWIW, I've installed about a dozen of these, all are fantastic. I've only had one failure, and it was damaged in shipping.

Ok, I'm confused. Car or home?

Nevermind, I dug around the site..Car

I remember back when I was into car audio elemental designs had some great SQ subs, although I don't know much about them, I'm assuming these are good.

I had an E12O series when ED first came out. amazing SQ, dont know about these though

I myself have a single 13Ov.2 D4 (one model up) and it's definitely one of the best SQ subs I've ever heard. I'm sure 2 of these Kv.2s in a sealed box would destroy faces.

Uhhh, a driver is a driver, no matter where you put it. I've installed them in cars and home theaters.

Precisely.

You do have to observe impedances though. Many home systems are 8-ohm or 4-ohm tolerant, while typically only automotive amplifiers will tolerate 2-ohm drivers.
(yes, there are exceptions, especially in regard to high-end, aka expensive, home audio components... but the majority of home equipment is what I am referring to)

This is a dual 4-ohm coil.
Run separately (stereo input), be sure your equipment can handle 4-ohm impedance.
If you plan to run the coils parallel-mono (single channel) be sure your equipment can handle 2-ohm impedance.
If not you can run serial-mono. That gives 8-ohm impedance, but your power levels will be lower.

Hmmm, I think I may want to scoop a pair of these...

What are the specs? Site doesn't list anything.

And can anyone compare this to another subwoofer?

There is a link to specs... which brings you to the D2 version. I assume specs are comparable, with exception of coil impedance (I believe D2 is dual 2-ohm coils)

EDIT: This is the link to D2 specs.

Uhhh, a driver is a driver, no matter where you put it. I've installed them in cars and home theaters.

Since it doesn't have a standalone power supply, you're going to have some trouble getting enough power to it.

um, just like in a car you have to buy an AMP to power it. google "plate amp"

Well yeah no shit, but now it isn't a bargain - plate amps are expensive. I've made them myself several times, I'm just making note that it isn't a piece of cake to do.

Precisely.

You do have to observe impedances though. Many home systems are 8-ohm or 4-ohm tolerant, while typically only automotive amplifiers will tolerate 2-ohm drivers.
(yes, there are exceptions, especially in regard to high-end, aka expensive, home audio components... but the majority of home equipment is what I am referring to)

This is a dual 4-ohm coil.
Run separately (stereo input), be sure your equipment can handle 4-ohm impedance.
If you plan to run the coils parallel-mono (single channel) be sure your equipment can handle 2-ohm impedance.
If not you can run serial-mono. That gives 8-ohm impedance, but your power levels will be lower.

Hmmm, I think I may want to scoop a pair of these...

I dont think its wise to run a dual voice coil sub in stereo. This sub should be ran as a mono load 2ohm or 8ohm load. They are great for the price. Just scooped up one for my roomate to put on his 400W kicker mono amp. Should be a nice match with the 2ohm load.

Good deal but screw ED....
You can't run a single DVC sub in off stereo channels, it will break the voice coils and sound like shit. Then again ED does not make great subs anyway.

Look really good for home theater. Fs - 21.5 is great, plus xmax 15+ mm so on LFE it can really move. I would buy 4 and set up 2 manifolds infinite baffle for HT. Can you say :D:D:D:D!!!! for inspiration, register at www.infinitelybaffled.com and scope out the galleries [drool....]

Well yeah no shit, but now it isn't a bargain - plate amps are expensive. I've made them myself several times, I'm just making note that it isn't a piece of cake to do.

You can get plate amps fairly cheaply through eD, or I use the ones from Parts Express. They work with little problem. The Kv2 really only needs 200-250 watts to perform at full potential anyway. Just because a driver can dissipate the heat of eleventy-bajillion watts, doesn't mean it requires that much to perform adamantly.

Awesome sub, this replaced my Infinity reference 12 inch sub which costed almost about the same price! That sub crapped up on me after around 1 year or so. This sub hits much harder, sounds better, looks better, great value, and has a 3 year transferable warranty. I mean what more do you want? I'm ED fan for life

look it's my review from the website lol

just bought one... been wanting to put a bit of bottom end in my car.... (and i've actually been told to get an ED sub before on a couple of occasions)

so now i've got to buy the cabling and install it... now i need your help...

what kind of amp should i get? i need something cheap, i don't want to destroy faces, just give me a bit of bottom end... there will only be one of these speakers... and depending on your suggestions i'll either have the guy down the road build me a box, or buy a premade one from BB or something...

don't know anything about how to configure the amps either, i understand it'll be running mono, but i don't know if how the amps are stereo they needed to be bridged or whatever... basically all i know is that i need to run some rcas from my headunit and some power cables from my battery into the trunk of my sedan

EDIT: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=120&i=023PCA1350&tp=115
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=120&i=500MRPM450&tp=115
opinions?

Some much better brands for only a little more money are Ascendant Audio, TC Sounds, Sundown Audio, Sound Splinter. ED subs sound like crap. If slopy Bass is your thing, or you have no ear for SQ or jsut dont give a crap and want to make noise like a teenage kid and you like companies like Audiobauhn then buy ED.

Most subs suck IB, even if they say they work in the specs.

But if you really cheap its still a good deal I have to admit, but personaly if I'm going to build or buy a box for a sub I dont want my effort / $$ to be a waste.

If someone recommends and ED sub, look elsewhere for your audio advice. Something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ARC-AUDIO-15D2_...ryZ18804QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Will sound several times better.

If your goign to run this ed sub mono, you want an amp that makes it's peak power at 2 ohms, wether its a monoblock or Stereo bridged amp. Monoblocks are usualy one ohm stable though, where as stereo amps (2 blocks) usualy make their peak at 2 ohms bridged. of course this isnt always true ;) I would look for something that makes about 600 RMS @ 2ohms Bridged (stereo amp) or monoblock that way when you PROPERLY set the Gain (use JL's tutorial if you do not know how) it wont be stressing and heating up the amp so bad. Regardless of what amp you buy you MUST properrly adjsut the gain, even a 200 RMS amp can blow the sub if you clip the crap out of it.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Some much better brands for only a little more money are Ascendant Audio, TC Sounds, Sundown Audio, Sound Splinter. ED subs sound like crap. If slopy Bass is your thing, or you have no ear for SQ or jsut dont give a crap and want to make noise like a teenage kid and you like companies like Audiobauhn then buy ED.

Oh come on, eD is pretty damn good value for the money. As you mentioned previously, the customer service may not be the greatest in the world, but I love the way my 13Ov.2 sounds.

Ironically enough, a friend of mine has an older Assassin 12", and he also drives the exact same car as me. We haven't done a direct comparison yet, but from what I can tell the Assassin hits a little harder. It also sounds a little flubby compared to the eD. They're both pretty close- the eD is definitely a more laid back sub, though. The comparison isn't completely fair because the eD is in a 1.25cu sealed enclosure and the assassin is in a 1.5cu sealed enclosure. We might swap subs and enclosures sometime and listen to the differences up close.

Hell, I've got some extra cash lying around...as soon as AA gets their dealers up, I might just purchase one of the new Assassin 12s and see what it sounds like.

Don't worry, Justin is one of the people that like to perpetuate the shitfest that started at CA.com and SI.net years ago. You won't be disappointed with those drivers.

I saw TC Sounds recommended- did you realize they're no longer in business? Thilo is essentially hiding from everyone who knows him. Ascendant Audio is the same company as Fi now, Sound Splinter doesn't have any availability yet (since TC is gone). Sundown will get you your stuff, and it will be good.

SoundSplinter is available on SSA, I believe...

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/shop/index.php?act=viewCat&manuf=U291bmRTcGxpbnRlcg==

I considered one of the 8" drivers, but it was just too far out of my budget. Maybe when I want to upgrade. :eek:

I think i know what most people interested in this deal are wondering.... is there a better 12" sub for $50 (or close to $50). Of course there are better subs for triple or quadruple the price, we all knew that already.

Which begs the question, is there a better 12" sub for around $50, or even $75? Someone do the rest of us a favor and please post them if they exist ;)

Don't worry, Justin is one of the people that like to perpetuate the shitfest that started at CA.com and SI.net years ago. You won't be disappointed with those drivers.

I saw TC Sounds recommended- did you realize they're no longer in business? Thilo is essentially hiding from everyone who knows him. Ascendant Audio is the same company as Fi now, Sound Splinter doesn't have any availability yet (since TC is gone). Sundown will get you your stuff, and it will be good.

I love my TC1000's best service I have ever had was TC sounds, one had a airleak in the surround and they overnighted me another sub no questions asked. Later they said they would repair the origional for free but couldn't when I brought it to them, so they gave me another free sub! The TC1000's vs my friend JLW6 off similar power produce similar results, both sound excelent.

Friend has the same vehicle as I do and he went thorugh a parts express sub, (Didn't like it) Arc Audio Black cone (GREAT SQ) but wanted louder, bought an ED Sub (Hated it), And Finaly settled on a TC 1000 for SQL. The arc probably sounded a bit cleaner than even my AA Assassin which wasen't bad, for an $80 sub. If you like listening to music that is mostly modified sine waves than my old AA lacked a bit on the lowend but was absolutly amazing for rock. ED is ok for $50 can't complain to much but I would not bother with them.

Fi and AA are differnet companies but use the same build house and work hand in hand last I heard. Their product lines are for 2 differnt things though so the subs are not the same.

TC sounds is not really out of buisness they changed their name to audiopulse but there prices are too high to recommend them for bang for the buck IMO. My $100 TC1000 was great performance vs $400 JLW6, however the new drivers similar to the $1000 are about as pricy as the W6. I would probably try a new company like sundown audio because I like to try many different things. Don't forget the enclosure can make or break a sub, a $50 in the right enclosure can sound better than a $1000 in a bad enclosure / setup http://www.audiopulse.com/

looks like Sound Splinters went up in cost...

Fi IS the buildhouse (Scott from Resonant Engineering started it). Also, TC/Audiopulse is no more. Gone/dead/defunct. That IS a crying shame. There are still the ends of their build runs available at PartsExpress, though.

Oh, to repeat, TC is gone. Their patents were even up for auction a week or 2 ago (some for baskets, and I think the LMS coil). :( I hope a decent buildhouse snags that LMS (maybe Scott, or Credence, or Eminence).

no, elemental designs is fucking garbage and the owner is a prick.

TC sounds is not really out of buisness they changed their name to audiopulse but there prices are too high to recommend them for bang for the buck IMO. My $100 TC1000 was great performance vs $400 JLW6, however the new drivers similar to the $1000 are about as pricy as the W6. I would probably try a new company like sundown audio because I like to try many different things. Don't forget the enclosure can make or break a sub, a $50 in the right enclosure can sound better than a $1000 in a bad enclosure / setup http://www.audiopulse.com/

looks like Sound Splinters went up in cost...

Yeah I was checking out those AudioPulse's in Parts Express, the cone layout and foam kinda hints at a W6 looking woofer.

If slopy Bass is your thing, or you have no ear for SQ or jsut dont give a crap and want to make noise like a teenage kid and you like companies like Audiobauhn then buy ED.

This is so far from the truth, comments like this question your own ability to know truly what SQ means. Many competitors in IASCA have won or placed high using their subs, amature was almost won using ED sub.

Back