[H]OT Corsair H100i $89.99 AR, Free Shipping 1/16 only

I just ordered one, initially thinking I'd replace the H70 in my 2600K system, but I think I'll keep the H70 where it is and put the H100 in my AMD A10-5800 system.

I just ordered a replacement Corsair Carbide 300R case for it anyway because I hate my Coolermaster HAF-XB something fierce...I tried to like it. I really did...but after using it for a few months, I've determined it's best if it goes in the trash. I will not inflict that punishment on anyone by selling it.

I already have some orders placed for new parts for my 800D (the 2600K case) and I don't want to be down longer than I have to be. I'm replacing the SATA3 hotswap board with the SATA6 one, replacing the hot swap bay door with a new one, and replacing the USB 2.0 ports with the USB 3.0...and installing another SSD and doing a fresh Windows 7 64 load...swapping out the cooling at the same time would suck all my free time.

I just ordered one, initially thinking I'd replace the H70 in my 2600K system, but I think I'll keep the H70 where it is and put the H100 in my AMD A10-5800 system.

I just ordered a replacement Corsair Carbide 300R case for it anyway because I hate my Coolermaster HAF-XB something fierce...I tried to like it. I really did...but after using it for a few months, I've determined it's best if it goes in the trash. I will not inflict that punishment on anyone by selling it.

I already have some orders placed for new parts for my 800D (the 2600K case) and I don't want to be down longer than I have to be. I'm replacing the SATA3 hotswap board with the SATA6 one, replacing the hot swap bay door with a new one, and replacing the USB 2.0 ports with the USB 3.0...and installing another SSD and doing a fresh Windows 7 64 load...swapping out the cooling at the same time would suck all my free time.

gv0yY.png

I would put the H100i on the 2600k and the H70 on the A-10

You guys think this will be much better than a Noctua ND 14 with replacement fans for the processor in my sig?

It will be better than that monster, and you wont have to worry about blocking RAM

I might note that this is the NEW H100i not the H100
I have boughts lots of the various H100 H70 H60 over time and have been disappointed in quality having to return several, so I am hoping that things have improved indeed. They have sold a ton of them, so theres no excuse.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h100i_review,1.html

I am not worried about RAM , my config is setup fine now but I always look to improve.
Yeah I tried a previous one...100 or maybe it was the 70 and was not impressed.

You guys think this will be much better than a Noctua ND 14 with replacement fans for the processor in my sig?

No idea what your usage model is, but If all you want is a temp or noise decrease, I'd save your cash for a future upgrade and stick with the Noctua. If instead you need a speed increase, your money would probably be better spent on a newer CPU and mobo vs the H100i. For comparison, in my gaming rig I'm still running a modestly OC'd Lynnfield i7 860 and haven't felt the need to upgrade when playing The Witcher 2, Deus Ex HR et al, nor when using Handbrake for encoding. Vid card progression since 2009 has been a Radeon 5850 that was upgraded in 2012 first to a 7970 and then a GTX 670.

Figure I'll finally buy a new cpu/mobo/RAM when Haswell comes out this summer.

Well, I guess I have the upgrade bug but really, is like I dont see much to upgrade to for real life benefits not just benching from my current CPU. Never had a CPU last me this long lol

No idea what your usage model is, but If all you want is a temp or noise decrease, I'd save your cash for a future upgrade and stick with the Noctua. If instead you need a speed increase, your money would probably be better spent on a newer CPU and mobo vs the H100i. For comparison, in my gaming rig I'm still running a modestly OC'd Lynnfield i7 860 and haven't felt the need to upgrade when playing The Witcher 2, Deus Ex HR et al, nor when using Handbrake for encoding. Vid card progression since 2009 has been a Radeon 5850 that was upgraded in 2012 first to a 7970 and then a GTX 670.

Figure I'll finally buy a new cpu/mobo/RAM when Haswell comes out this summer.

Why go from a 7970 to a 670? Just wondering

It will be better than that monster, and you wont have to worry about blocking RAM

I might note that this is the NEW H100i not the H100
I have boughts lots of the various H100 H70 H60 over time and have been disappointed in quality having to return several, so I am hoping that things have improved indeed. They have sold a ton of them, so theres no excuse.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h100i_review,1.html

Quality on the i isn't really better. There are many common issues, most are with the fan controller, and the corsair link software. Mine blew a cap under the pump cover.

If you don't use any of the software or the fan controller it performs well. But swiftech has a new aio that is going to blow it and the kraken x60 out of the water, and is upgradable.

[L]imey;1039520291 said:
Why go from a 7970 to a 670? Just wondering

Oh man, that's a loooong story. Plus, I forgot that in April 2012, I initially upgraded my Radeon 5850 (stock cooler from the Sept/Oct 2009 launch) to an MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr, before getting sick of how damn loud that card was. Then, I upgraded to the Sapphire 7970 OC -> Gigabyte gtx 670 Windforce -> Asus 670 DC2 TOP. Went through more video cards in 2 months than I had in the prior 5 years.

Short version: The gtx 670 was the new hotness at the time, and I decided to give it a shot since my Sapphire 7970 OC, as amazingly quiet and powerful as it was, disappointed me. First tried the Gigabyte 670 with Windforce cooler and it was pretty awesome, then upgraded to the Asus DC2 TOP and returned the Gigabyte. Lotta people had problems with those first-run DC2 TOPs, but mine has been golden and equally as quiet as the Sapphire OC.

Long version: Had a Sapphire 7970 OC and loved how quiet it was, but even at stock speeds (without the switch clicked "on"), there were a few games in which there was too much stuttering/lag-spikes. CPU bottlenecking wasn't the problem, nor was I overdoing it with overly ambitious vid settings. The problem was AMD's drivers simply weren't providing the smooth gameplay I expected from a $400+ card. 99% of the time, everything was excellent, but then I'd get these lil' hitches, and it'd piss me off. Thank gawd for Tech Report then, 'cuz they've basically changed the entire vid card benching scene and confirmed what I was experiencing.

To make matters worse, my shiny new 7970's cooler had started to develop a slight buzzing sound from one of the fans. I had ignored a similar problem on my Radeon 5850 when it happened, and 2 years later, whenever I'd turn on my computer, that damn GPU cooler would make this horrible noise for the first 5 mins or so till fan bearing or whatever had warmed up. It was so bad, people would ask me if my computer was broken. With that 5850 experience still fresh in my mind, my 7970 still under newegg's 30 day warranty, and GTX 670s with aftermarket coolers on the market, I switched in a heartbeat. I actually wanted an aftermarket cooled gtx 680, but those were impossible to get no matter how closely I watched the retailers. The 670 was plenty enough for my needs tho; the difference in Skyrim (with Nexus hi-rez mods etc) and a couple other games was noticeable; no more stuttering.

Thankfully, AMD has new drivers out that have greatly improved things and Tech Report has given AMD valuable insights to improve their future drivers, but in my case, I've been using my 670 for 8 months now and the Asus 670 cost $25 less than the 7970. Zero regrets.

Oh man, that's a loooong story. Plus, I forgot that in April 2012, I initially upgraded my Radeon 5850 (stock cooler from the Sept/Oct 2009 launch) to an MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr, before getting sick of how damn loud that card was. Then, I upgraded to the Sapphire 7970 OC -> Gigabyte gtx 670 Windforce -> Asus 670 DC2 TOP. Went through more video cards in 2 months than I had in the prior 5 years.

Short version: The gtx 670 was the new hotness at the time, and I decided to give it a shot since my Sapphire 7970 OC, as amazingly quiet and powerful as it was, disappointed me. First tried the Gigabyte 670 with Windforce cooler and it was pretty awesome, then upgraded to the Asus DC2 TOP and returned the Gigabyte. Lotta people had problems with those first-run DC2 TOPs, but mine has been golden and equally as quiet as the Sapphire OC.

Long version: Had a Sapphire 7970 OC and loved how quiet it was, but even at stock speeds (without the switch clicked "on"), there were a few games in which there was too much stuttering/lag-spikes. CPU bottlenecking wasn't the problem, nor was I overdoing it with overly ambitious vid settings. The problem was AMD's drivers simply weren't providing the smooth gameplay I expected from a $400+ card. 99% of the time, everything was excellent, but then I'd get these lil' hitches, and it'd piss me off. Thank gawd for Tech Report then, 'cuz they've basically changed the entire vid card benching scene and confirmed what I was experiencing.

To make matters worse, my shiny new 7970's cooler had started to develop a slight buzzing sound from one of the fans. I had ignored a similar problem on my Radeon 5850 when it happened, and 2 years later, whenever I'd turn on my computer, that damn GPU cooler would make this horrible noise for the first 5 mins or so till fan bearing or whatever had warmed up. It was so bad, people would ask me if my computer was broken. With that 5850 experience still fresh in my mind, my 7970 still under newegg's 30 day warranty, and GTX 670s with aftermarket coolers on the market, I switched in a heartbeat. I actually wanted an aftermarket cooled gtx 680, but those were impossible to get no matter how closely I watched the retailers. The 670 was plenty enough for my needs tho; the difference in Skyrim (with Nexus hi-rez mods etc) and a couple other games was noticeable; no more stuttering.

Thankfully, AMD has new drivers out that have greatly improved things and Tech Report has given AMD valuable insights to improve their future drivers, but in my case, I've been using my 670 for 8 months now and the Asus 670 cost $25 less than the 7970. Zero regrets.

You know, I did the exact same thing, except it wasn't for any problems. The 7970 cost me $360 (pre-12.11 purchase, when 7970s were at their low), and it still maxed out everything I played. Sold it for $360 when 7970s were more desirable, bought a GTX670 for $300, got cashback and two AAA games that I sold. Ended up saving over $100 by switching, and still haven't noticed a change between the two.

Interesting.

I'm wondering whether the driver improvements AMD has made correct the issues you were seeing.

My 7970 runs great, but I do get the occasional hitching. I think I might be overly ambitious though. Supersampling and everything maxed in GW2.

Anyway, thanks for the info, I'll bear that in mind for the next few months and see if I want to do something similar.

[L]imey;1039523742 said:
Interesting.

I'm wondering whether the driver improvements AMD has made correct the issues you were seeing.

That Tech Report article definitely showed an improvement in Skyrim. Look at the very bottom graph on this page, it's the very definition of what I was experiencing (my 99th percentile frames were perhaps worse given all the upgraded textures/mods I was running). Again tho, the stuttering wasn't a problem in most games, and with some titles I did find my CPU was a slight bottleneck. I was mainly having fits with just a couple games that I happened to be playing at the time. Had it not been for that fan issue on the Sapphire 7970, I'd have been plenty happy to keep it, despite the hiccups. Thing was so impressively quiet (even when OC'd), that's more important to me than outright performance.

Now that AMD has a better understanding of how they and Nvidia have differed in terms of testing driver "smoothness", I'd expect the playing field to even out much more in the coming months/years. Factor in the gaming industry's focus on consoles as the target platform, and that AMD hardware will be powering the next Playstation and Xbox... perhaps when the dust settles AMD will lay some smackdown on Nvidia.

The graphics industry has definitely taken notice.. Now, more of the hardware sites need to adopt a similar methodology. Tech Report, like the [H], tests only a small number of games and it's impossible for one site to test everything, so Anandtech, Guru3d, et al need to start testing frame latencies in addition to average/minimum framerates (PC Perspective has already written about their upcoming changes). By the time 2013 is over, any hardware site not using something similar is gonna be of limited usefulness for vid card reviews.

Apologies for the extended derail. Who wants to see an h100 sawed in half?

Did you find the Gigabyte Windforce loud? I don't see your motivation from going from the GB to the Asus.

I think after the Corsair announcement I'll just wait a bit for the H90/110 with their 140mm fans and rads.

Man, had no idea Switech had a new AIO cooler coming out till ya mentioned it, but I'm even more shocked by the (relatively) low msrp. $139 wtf? :cool: Early previews sound impressive. Hope it does well enough that Swiftech aggressively targets other form factors like 1x 140cm and 3x 140cm.

Did you find the Gigabyte Windforce loud? I don't see your motivation from going from the GB to the Asus.

More derail, sure!

One of the 3 fans on the Gigabyte developed a ill' warble and, once again :mad: , the sound started driving me crazy (albeit it wasn't as bad as the 7970 had been). The Gigabyte was selling for $399 at the time which was an incredible deal, but no way was I putting up with yet another defective fan. Then the Asus popped up for $40 more with tax, but it also had the highest factory oc of any 670 at the time (by a significant margin, too). Finally, I had a non-defective card although the Asus wasn't quite as silent as the Sapphire had been (splitting hairs here, it's damn close).

A lot of those early Asus dc2TOP cards were defective due to Asus pushing the clocks so heavily on early silicon bins. Asus later reduced the clocks via bios and eventually quit selling that particular "ultra-clocked" TOP, but mine was solid so I was happy. The Glowing reviews of the dc2TOP from the [H], guru3d, etc didn't hurt either. Next time I'm in the market for a card tho, I will definitely be paying attention to Sapphire's Dual-x or Vapor-x coolers. The Asus DirectCU2 cooler is badass, and my guess is that under the same thermal load, dc2 vs dual-x is a dead heat with both being slightly better than the Windforce. MSI's Twin Frozr 3 was much louder than the prior 3 coolers, but the gtx570 also put off a ton of heat and MSI has updated to a new design.

Told ya it was a long story! :eek: Here r a few pix of the cards

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01011.jpg

Man, had no idea Switech had a new AIO cooler coming out till ya mentioned it, but I'm even more shocked by the (relatively) low msrp. $139 wtf? :cool: Early previews sound impressive.

It uses a pump that's almost as powerful as the MCP35x, much better than the 50-75 GPM, weak arse pumps used on the Corsair AIO's. It easily pushes about 5-10 times more head pressure.

Though, I STILL am against AIO. Why? Because once you buy an AIO, a better one comes along after some months and you go ahead to get that one... for the price of TWO AIO's, you could have built up a custom loop all along.

Not to mention that AIO's aren't all that reliable. The hachapichi cheapss pumps are bound to fail, and their performance or noise profiles aren't all that great. Neither are their price/performance when compared to the giant air coolers. Annnddddd, they are NOT expandable... :mad: :rolleyes:

Go custom I say. Get a PMP-500, one hell of a pump for a mere $75. Couple it with some good USED block for (I assume) $50. Then get one of those full copper plated Coolgate 240 rad's (for $90). Best damn rads on the market. And they look cool as fuck. $215. Get some cheap noname reservoir from eBay LOL and a little tubing and some Bitspower FTW fittings... for $225-250, you can built a loop that shits all over any AIO at any rate. Hmmm... sounds good! :D

Back