[H]ot: Amazon Benq BL2710PT 1440P $599

This is really tempting, although maybe a little more than I need for developing, but still very tempted.

How does this monitor compare to the $300 Chinese/Korean models? Besides having a thin bezel for multiple monitor gaming.

How does this monitor compare to the $300 Chinese/Korean models? Besides having a thin bezel for multiple monitor gaming.

Throw in Japanese too while you are at it. Afterall, they all are Southeastern Asians. :p

To answer about comparing w/ oc Korean units like the Qnix:

The OC monitors have very low input Lag, OC to 96hz and are suitable for extremely time sensitive type gaming.

The Benq has a metric ton of features the budget monitors don't, like a good scaler for playing 1080p or 720p mat, lots of input types. The Benq stand is very nice and offers portrait mode. But the Benq would be inappropriate for high level fps games. It's 60hz and has fair to moderate input lag and signal processing time. The overdrive looks from Tftcentral's review to be excellent in medium mode. So some moderate blur reduction as well.

Most of them, in fact. Including the one in the OP. :p

I thought most if not all panels are manufactured in Korea.
I suppose assembly is often done in China now I think of it.

Nothing wrong with that. China knows how to make shit.

$600 for a 27" monitor does not sound like a hot deal to me. Maybe 5 years ago......

It better be able to make you a sandwich for that price.

Just be careful. I had to go through 4 of these monitors to get an alright one. Three had multiple stuck pixels around the center of the screen. The fourth has two gray-ish pixels at the very bottom, and I think I will keep it.

Just be careful. I had to go through 4 of these monitors to get an alright one. Three had multiple stuck pixels around the center of the screen. The fourth has two gray-ish pixels at the very bottom, and I think I will keep it.

Hmmm, duly noted. Guess that's the other reason I thought this was hot. Amazon fairly hassle free.

1440 res, not 1080

My old 28" was 1600x1200 (before I got my current 30" Dell). I just don't believe the slightly higher resolution would be worth the money on anything less than a 32".

My old 28" was 1600x1200 (before I got my current 30" Dell). I just don't believe the slightly higher resolution would be worth the money on anything less than a 32".

That's an interesting opinion.
Sorry but between my 24(1200p) and my 27(1440p) sitting in front of me I can't say I agree.

I wouldn't even say I have been stricken with a case of defending my spendings with buyers remorse as the 1200p panel cost much more than the 1440p one.

$600 for a 27" monitor does not sound like a hot deal to me. Maybe 5 years ago......

The other thing you have to consider is that it's a professional monitor with 1.07 billion colors instead of the usual 16.7 million colors for a monitor. Also it has 100% sRGB. The cheap $300 to $400 1440p monitors are limited to 16.7 million colors.

Also, 5 years ago, they didn't sell any 1440p monitors they only had 30" 1600p monitors or 24" 1200p monitors.

why buy one of these when you can buy a qnix or x-star for half as much?

There really isn't a reason to, aside from the multiple inputs and internal scaling. If it's just for hooking a computer up to it, there isn't any reason that I can see that would justify a mainstream brand for 1440p monitors.

Quality control isn't a reason, because I've been better off with my Qnix than the 7-8 mainstream brand monitors I tried out. Especially those three 2770 viewsonics that I was shipping to and from Amazon near every day. =_=;

The other thing you have to consider is that it's a professional monitor with 1.07 billion colors instead of the usual 16.7 million colors for a monitor. Also it has 100% sRGB. The cheap $300 to $400 1440p monitors are limited to 16.7 million colors.

Also, 5 years ago, they didn't sell any 1440p monitors they only had 30" 1600p monitors or 24" 1200p monitors.

I don't think it's actually a 10 bit monitor. And if it was, that would be a reason to NOT get it for most of us, because we're just gamers and it wouldn't look like it's supposed to.

I don't think it's actually a 10 bit monitor. And if it was, that would be a reason to NOT get it for most of us, because we're just gamers and it wouldn't look like it's supposed to.

It's not. 8+2 or w/e. It's apparently nice for gaming as long as latency isn't a big deal. The Korean monitors have awful stands. This monitor is really for professionals and yes it's ideal if you need multiple input types.
=) I like how the Benq's turn to portrait

what he said.....I can no longer fork out the high price to nibble on the spoon fed technology. Give me a 30" 4K monitor in the 500 - 1000 dollar range.

Newegg is matching the price but wants a little shipping money... the price on this unit is lower than it's been offered so far at these etailers, but more like luke-warm deal?

I want a 27" 1440p 120Hz strobing backlight VA panel. But it would cost $1,000+ right now and doesn't exist--only a handful of people would want to spend the cash (I would be saying "shut up and take my money") because so many people would say $1000 for a 27" monitor are you nuts?

Newegg is matching the price but wants a little shipping money... the price on this unit is lower than it's been offered so far at these etailers, but more like luke-warm deal?

I want a 27" 1440p 120Hz strobing backlight VA panel. But it would cost $1,000+ right now and doesn't exist--only a handful of people would want to spend the cash (I would be saying "shut up and take my money") because so many people would say $1000 for a 27" monitor are you nuts?

I have high hopes for the 32" Benq BL3200PT which is 1440P and was announced @ CES this year...I am eagerly awaiting reviews for it, as I think that would be an awesome size with decent resolution without needing $2K in GPUs to drive it for gaming etc...

In addition to comparing it to the Korean monitors like QNIX, how does this Benq compare to the Dell 2713?

Edit: here's the CCC price history on Amazon for this monitor.

There really isn't a reason to, aside from the multiple inputs and internal scaling. If it's just for hooking a computer up to it, there isn't any reason that I can see that would justify a mainstream brand for 1440p monitors.

Quality control isn't a reason, because I've been better off with my Qnix than the 7-8 mainstream brand monitors I tried out. Especially those three 2770 viewsonics that I was shipping to and from Amazon near every day. =_=;

I feel your pain. I must have sent back 4 or 5 VP2770s until I got a perfect one.

This is the only LED PWM Dimming (PWM Side Effects) & delay free (1ms signal delay measured by PRAD with an oscilloscope vs. 7-20ms for competing monitors) multi-input model available in North America. No weird issues have been reported unlike the QC plagued (matte coating cross-hatching, image retention, some revisions suffer from really obvious overshoot ghosting) Dell U2713HM. I paid 833$ for mine after tax back in September but I'm glad they dropped the price to compete with Dell and Asus (PB278Q uses PWM, has an 18ms delay and has slower pixel response times).

It uses a standard gamut 8 bit+FRC AHVA panel.

Last edited:

That's a great monitor. I considered buying one a couple of months ago, but couldn't bring myself to paying over $700.00 (that was the street price then) Plus, I'm getting old & these tired eyes do fine with a 1080P panel.

Almost twice as many pixels is slightly higher?

Tried two samples from amazon: both had the lower right corner with a distinct bluish/cooler tint. One was also stuck on the service menu by default for the longest time until I figured out how to rest it back to the regular one. Cannot recommend this.

Good deal for this particular model, but not a good price on a 27" 1440p display. If you need the features this offers (portrait stand, multiple inputs, scaler) then it's worth a look. Otherwise get 2 off-brand screens (likely made from the exact same panel) for the same price.

Good deal for this particular model, but not a good price on a 27" 1440p display. If you need the features this offers (portrait stand, multiple inputs, scaler) then it's worth a look. Otherwise get 2 off-brand screens (likely made from the exact same panel) for the same price.

Are you referring to QNIX? That would be about half the price of this Benq.

Are you referring to QNIX? That would be about half the price of this Benq.

There's loads of them. QNIX, Catleap, Shimian, take your pick. They all use the same 1440p panel made by LG and cost about $300. Features are barebone, but most people just want a screen that shows the output from their computer at 2560x1440, I would think. I've been using a Shimian for almost 2 years now and it's been a great experience.

This is the only LED PWM Dimming (PWM Side Effects) & delay free (1ms signal delay measured by PRAD with an oscilloscope vs. 7-20ms for competing monitors) multi-input model available in North America. No weird issues have been reported unlike the QC plagued (matte coating cross-hatching, image retention, some revisions suffer from really obvious overshoot ghosting) Dell U2713HM. I paid 833$ for mine after tax back in September but I'm glad they dropped the price to compete with Dell and Asus (PB278Q uses PWM, has an 18ms delay and has slower pixel response times).

It uses a standard gamut 8 bit+FRC AHVA panel.

I was going to ask if you would get the Benq over the Viewsonic VP2770 but looks like someone else already asked that question before :p http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...ion/14750-viewsonic-vp2770-benq-bl2710pt.html

There's loads of them. QNIX, Catleap, Shimian, take your pick. They all use the same 1440p panel made by LG and cost about $300. Features are barebone, but most people just want a screen that shows the output from their computer at 2560x1440, I would think. I've been using a Shimian for almost 2 years now and it's been a great experience.
I was looking at QNIX QX2710 that's selling for $340 on ipsledmonitor.com. It's sometimes a bit cheaper on Ebay, but some have said customer service is better w/ the American company than a Korean seller on Ebay.

Almost twice as many pixels is slightly higher?

(2560 * 1440) / (1600 * 1200) = 1.92 to be exact.

So 92% more pixels, that's a heck of a lot. The problem with 1440p at 27 inch is mainly text size, it took a while for me to get used to it. The games looked absolutely gorgeous.

Unfortunately they didn't look any more gorgeous on the 700$ mainstream brands than they did on my Qnix. Cough cough hint hint.

No really the only reason to go mainstream is if you want the warranty... which if you get a pixel perfect Qnix, even that's a moot point: you can just get a Squaretrade warranty for a bit more. The other reason is multiple inputs and internal scaling if you want to hook up a console.. but generally you'll want to play those from an appreciable ways back, sitting on a couch. A reasonably sized TV is better for them.

Qnix and XStar use a PLS panel. The latter two use an IPS panel, iirc. PLS is not the same as IPS (though visually not much difference).

Back