[H]orde Rewards Program Revised

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Skillz, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Montu

Montu [H]ard DCOTM x4

WCG isn't as generous awarding points as a lot of projects are. How about 1-2M WCG points for lifetime access to Genmay. F@H points should be around 50M or so if you ask me.

Gilthanis likes this.
  2. Skillz

Skillz [H]ard DCOTY 2017

1-2m WCG points or BOINC points?

Huge difference.

3. Priller

Priller Gawd

Yup. Half a mil WCG points is around 70,000 BOINC points from what I see.

4. ChristianVirtual

ChristianVirtual [H]ard DCOTM Mar 2016,Aug 2017

7 WCG = 1 BOINC; from what I read the last weeks

Gilthanis likes this.
  5. Sparky

Sparky 2[H]4U

Didnt they remove the sub for GenMay?

6. Montu

Montu [H]ard DCOTM x4

Yeah, but I think there are still some subforums that require a sub. Not sure.

7. Skillz

Skillz [H]ard DCOTY 2017

No they put it back.

8. Axdrenalin

Axdrenalin [H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2009

I just paid the $15 lifetime subscription fee to Genmay long before I ever thought about earning one through my DC contributions... :woot: Man, that was so many years ago, getting old.

Ax

9. Skillz

Skillz [H]ard DCOTY 2017

Yeah I paid for my lifetime sub a long time ago also.

10. Sparky

Sparky 2[H]4U

I got a lifetime but didn't pay for it.
    I sent Kyle my front HARDOCP license plate.

Gilthanis and Skillz like this.
  11. MixManSC

MixManSC ║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Me either.... I've printed some large format display stuff and done other projects on behalf of [H] over the years. I also used to run neck and neck with Pocatello back in the day with FAH. Near weekly back and forth in the lead for quite some time if I remember right. :wacky: Then life stuff happened and moving my shop and a bunch of other stuff so I pretty much dropped off the face of the earth online for several years.

DWolvin and Pocatello like this.
  12. Axdrenalin

Axdrenalin [H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2009

Remember you quite well. Good to see you still lurking about the DC forums. (y)

Ax

DWolvin and Pocatello like this.
  13. motqalden

motqalden [H]ard DCOTM Feb 2018

So Im bumping this because while i have read about this Genmay thing i have never been to parts of the forum that needed it. Well today they posted something in about cordcutting and what do i find but a part of the site i can't get on ! we should move forward with this! im pretty sure i qualified for the old reward level and i have more than 50k points folding this year.

14. MGMCCALLEY

MGMCCALLEY [H]ard DCOTM SEP 16 / NOV 17

I think I may have qualified a few times, too. Not sure I've ever participated in a GenMay conversation. Not even sure I signed up.

15. DSee

DSee 2[H]4U

I have a surplus of over 50x 617x G34 CPUs here. Long ago they were $1000+, lol.
    I know the "G34 folding days" are pretty much over, but since I have no use for most of them, I was thinking about donating them to some cause, or someone that would use it. Pretty much just pay for shipping, or use it for BOINC, or maybe part of the rewards program.
    Does any have a suggestion on how to use them for good? Right now they're in a box, next to my feet.

Edit: https://imgur.com/a/t7O0W

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    MGMCCALLEY and pututu like this.
  16. Pocatello

Pocatello DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x3 Staff Member

500,000 points for F@H = free year subscription to General Mayhem
    1 million points you'll get a second free year
    1.5 million = life time membership

Send me a PM with a link to your F@H stats at EOC. I may ask for further proof.

17. st4rk

st4rk Gawd

This didn't seem to work for me. I have 5m right now but don't see GenMay (sent a PM). I'm guessing the 500k+ requirement is recent points and not old points? If so, I should be there in a day or so and 1.5 soon thereafter.

18. MN Scout

MN Scout [H]ardness Supreme

It isn't automatic. Sending the PM to Pocatello is the right thing to do.

19. Pocatello

Pocatello DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x3 Staff Member

I am working on this issue. We have to wait to hear from the administrators. Please be patient. Thank you.

20. JustReason

JustReason razor1 is my Lover

I am up 600k now, and joining in dec contest.

21. scobar

scobar .

I took a peek at ebay. a 4p board runs $300 for supermicro, you would need HSF, add $60 if you can find 212's for $15ea, then a few finger grinders to move air over the board, $35, and then a decent 600wpsu, $100. ddr3, looks like about $6 a stick.

The question becomes, is it work the power cost for this?
    Did not see any 2p boards. There is this 4p board for $70 but not sure about the PSU connector, if it is proprietary or not.

Could be possible to get something up for <$300, even less if you have spare parts.

MGMCCALLEY likes this.
  22. MGMCCALLEY

Pay attention to which chips you use, and if you're going to OC a SM board with the custom [H] BIOS. I currently pull 700 watts with my 4P. I would suggest a high-quality 750 Watt PSU or larger for most of these 4P builds. 850 is safer if you want to add peripherals. 950 or more with an add-in video card, more with more cards. I once had 3 cards on my 4P, and a 1200 Watt PSU to run it all. Most of those boards are PCI-E 2.0, though, so YMMV with recent video card performance. I traded a high end video card for my 4P, but there are used ones to be had I'm sure for decent prices. Also, DDR3 ECC is dirt cheap on EBay or if you know someone unloading old servers. A lot of the SM 4P boards can support ECC or non-ECC, so it's nice to have a choice. I get about 20K for WCG on my 4P, pulling about 700 watts constantly. So factor in power usage, and if you need the heat, and a good 4P may make sense for you. Especially when the chips are cheap.

23. DSee

DSee 2[H]4U

You are right. I was just trying to find a home for these extra chips. Like a prize or something, but the other components are too expensive to make it "worth it".

I do have 2x 4Ps (Supermicro mobo, CPUs, MEM (CL6/7), and HSF) that I will post for a low price soon on the FS thread.

I wish I could donate the entire systems to the cause, but I am not swimming on money right now.

The rest of the CHIPS (6172's) are available for anyone looking for an upgrade, etc...
    Free of charge, just contact me. I am in the process of donating some faster cpus to another member, but the rest are for the community (~50-60).

Members can PM me if you have a G34 setup and want to upgrade their CPUs.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  24. scobar

scobar .

I should be clear, I am not building a 4p, I did my time on g34 boxen, the thought was perhaps it gives a noobie incentive.

25. MGMCCALLEY

Indeed, they still have tangible uses, including WCG. I just didn't want anyone to undershoot specs and be disappointed. I completely encourage people to build a 4P for WCG or other BOINC projects. The points return can be well worth it, especially if you get free or cheap power.

26. Crosshairs

Crosshairs Administrator Staff Member

27. fastgeek

fastgeek [H]ard|DCOTM x3 aka "That Company"

Just checked my (very old) PMs and it looks like I received lifetime GenMay from Pocatello and Lethal (may she rest in peace) way back in January / February 2012. Time flies! :) Thankfully I did that back in the day of BigAdv in which CPUs were still king of the hill. :p

28. motqalden

motqalden [H]ard DCOTM Feb 2018

No mention of boinc totals? Im about to crack the lifetime for f@h but just curios

29. jfb9301

jfb9301 [H]ard DCOTM February 2016

Wow... I was making too many PPD to be included in the new points to get a sub? NP for me I got my lifetime years ago, and it seemed like it took forever to get it. With the old requirements I'd hit the lifetime so quickly I'd not notice. I do like the ideas of Skillz and CV where continued effort is rewarded with continued subscriptions. I know this was already hashed out, but 3-6 months of folding to earn a month, and then month by month after that would have been my suggestion. I realize the setup for that would have been a nightmare. I just don't see the point of rewarding fly by night folders. 12 years of folding strong for me.

Skillz likes this.