[H] opinion on Synology NAS?

TType85

[H]ard|Gawd
For work I am looking at getting a NAS solution too hook up to our two vSphere 5.0 hosts. This will be used as a back end for our disaster recovery server so it does not need to be the fastest thing in the world.

I am looking at a Synology DS1812+ currently, and planning on loading it up with 3TB drives running raid-6. That should give around 16TB usable of space; 10TB will be dedicated to the VM's the other 6TB will be user data (most likely broken up and attached to a few of the "file server" VM's).

Will the DS1812+ be good for this? I would prefer to build one myself as I know I can do it cheaper, but the boss wants a pre-built.

I think my DS1812+ review unit arrives today so I will probably have an opinion soon.

I own a DS2411+ and a DS1812+ love them both! Haven't had a single problem with either of them.

Especially love the fact that you can install the CrashPlan client on them.

I used to use a DS1010+ at home and loved it (still have it, unused). I only just outgrew it recently and decided to roll my own server this time due to cost and features (I want to be able to transcode 1080p video in real-time on my new storage server etc).

I also just got my IT director to purchase a new DS213 for our small office for various tasks. Synology's NASs are very high-performance and their admin software and server/protocol support is excellent. I highly recommend. 8x3TB in RAID 6 on a DS1812+ will be 18TB of usable space. The OS is only a couple hundred MB.

For work I am looking at getting a NAS solution too hook up to our two vSphere 5.0 hosts. This will be used as a back end for our disaster recovery server so it does not need to be the fastest thing in the world.

I am looking at a Synology DS1812+ currently, and planning on loading it up with 3TB drives running raid-6. That should give around 16TB usable of space; 10TB will be dedicated to the VM's the other 6TB will be user data (most likely broken up and attached to a few of the "file server" VM's).

Will the DS1812+ be good for this? I would prefer to build one myself as I know I can do it cheaper, but the boss wants a pre-built.

I have the DS1812+ and it's awesome. I teamed the nics on a cisco 6500 and have about 100 users running shares off it with little bog. I just copied a 4gb file to it as a test and it does around 100mb/s (obviously my desktop isn't teamed). I replaced a homegrown system with it that wasn't using teamed nics and did get bogged down from time to time while never pulling more than 80mb/s transfers. The OS is slick and easy to use. Time Machine works wired and wireless without hacking. I've replaced some 1tb drives with 2tb and while you do have to click 4 times to make it happen, it worked perfectly without downtime.

Just ordered the 1812+ last night.

Amazon and Newegg have the 1512 on sale for $705. Newegg also charges $15 shipping, but I know some people have to pay tax at Amazon now.

Ordered the 1812+, 2GB memory upgrade and 8 3TB drives. Should be here tomorrow. I can't wait, I love getting new toys in.

I have a 212j for use as a hime/remote media server and cloud drive and I absolutely love it, it was well worth the money painless to install and it works flawlessly. i would highly reccomend a synology NAS.

I'm assuming he meant 'attacked'? Even so, kinda silly, since you just don't give it a default gateway and it can't talk to anyone outside.

Back