[H] Engineers / Scientists - show some cool stuff! - PICS!

jen4950

[H]F Junkie
I want pics! and code if you've got it and don't mind sharing so other's can try it out.

This idea started when I was over in Memory and someone said that there is no way you can use all of 2GB of memory..

My Original Response:

l337zax said:
I don't see exactly why you'd need 4 gigs o' ram. Even if you're doing mathematical computation, 2 gigs would probably be more than enough. I really wouldn't use 4 gigs of ram unless I got into the server side and was running dual opterons.

If you're worried that much about math computation and memory resources, I'd honestly make the jump into a dual processor system, preferably opteron. They'll blow your single socket A64 3500+ out of the water as far as computational speeds go.

I run 2 Gig, and in the following Matlab script, anything over about a 900 by 900 mesh kills my machine (X1Steps and X2Steps in the script) - out of memory errors. This is a short thing I did for an Optimization course I am taking in graduate school- Civil Engineering / Structures.

Code:
% CVEN689.600 - Optimization
% Homework #2
% Problem 1

clear;
clc;

i = 1;
j = 1;
X1Steps = 900;
X2Steps = 900;

X1Min = -10;
X1Max = 10;
X2Min = -10;
X2Max = 10;

X1Increment = (X1Max - X1Min)/X1Steps;
X2Increment = (X2Max - X2Min)/X2Steps;

zValues = zeros(X1Steps,X2Steps);

for i = 1:1:X1Steps
    X1i = i * X1Increment + X1Min;
    for j = 1:1:X2Steps        
        X2i = j * X2Increment + X2Min;

zValues(i,j) = 0.5 - ((sin((X1i^2+X2i^2)^0.5)*sin((X1i^2+X2i^2)^0.5))-0.5)/((1+0.001*(X1i^2+X2i^2))^2);

end
end

% Plot 3D Surface Mesh from workspace

Here's what you get out of that jumbled mess above: Really hard to see the function's optimal value.

Resulting plots (2) with 50 x 50 mesh:

OPT_01.jpg

OPT_02.jpg

High Resolution, 1500 x 1500 mesh:
OPT_03.jpg

Medium Resolution, 900 x 900 mesh:
OPT_04.jpg

You are easily able to see the global optimum in a high resolution graph- It's lost in the 50x50..

Memory Space and Performance are critical in some areas.. MATLAB can eat your lunch very quickly.

Processing Power is not the issue all of the time; as you can see with this script the only issue is available memory- the calculation is not very intensive. The script runs in about 3 seconds at 2000x2000, but it's a nightmare to graph, due to the memory requirements.

I have no clue what all that mess is but it's cool. Just thought I would say so! :D

Damn cool pictures....I'm going to have to pull up Matlab and see what I can do ;)

I can't really post pics of the stuff I do, because it's probably considered sensitive material, but when I interpolate a few thousand points by their inverse distance and create a huge grid, I could certinly use more memory and cpu cycles.

hah i thought i was the only doing Matlab...this is great.

Maybe I should ask some of my questions here next time, can't believe I forgot bout the [H] community.

Mav451 said:
hah i thought i was the only doing Matlab...this is great.

Maybe I should ask some of my questions here next time, can't believe I forgot bout the [H] community.

Bring it on! I love Matlab- I've only posted stuff I feel comfortable sharing-

It's a great program.

Let's see what some of you do with it-

Well i'm taking a Undergrad lvl class, ENCE201. So yeah, I'll probably be asking elementary questions here, if any haha.

odoe said:
I can't really post pics of the stuff I do, because it's probably considered sensitive material.

mapping area 51 again are you? :p

strangely I do have that 4GB and dual opterons :p
and as soon as I pony up the $$$$ for full versions of XSI Softimage and Mentalray
I'll actually be able to fully employ it
currently Im fairly costrained by the trial versions

Ice Czar said:
mapping area 51 again are you? :p

strangely I do have that 4GB and dual opterons :p
and as soon as I pony up the $$$$ for full versions of XSI Softimage and Mentalray
I'll actually be able to fully employ it
currently Im fairly costrained by the trial versions
Same setup, but 2 GB RAM. I still can't find anything other than Video rendering to push mine to the limit. Photoshop doesn't offer a problem, neither does a near infinite amount of windows of different programs.

Any ideas on what might lag mine up? :p

A year back i did a work for my Linear Algebra class about using vectors for face recognition programs... And if i remember correctly the dudes that programmed this stuff were doing it for their pregraduate thesis... The thing is that at the end they couldnt get it running in its full mode cause there was no computer on my university that could handle all the calculations without throwing a memory error...

This is really cool stuff if you ask me.

Well seeing as I am a sophmore in college and studying Political Science... I have no clue what this stuff is. could someone explain for a lowly Sophy? :D

This has nothing to do with being a Sophy--its just that its engineering =D

As I said, the course at Maryland, ENCE201 >> deems it a sophmore Civil Engineering "intro" course, though the last few assignments have been considerably harder. But yeah, I probably need to read up to find out what's going on here too haha.

another possible ap that might lag your computer M11
icepak
computational fluid dynamics, specifically for modeling computer thermal solutions
you can request a demo

Mav451 said:
This has nothing to do with being a Sophy--its just that its engineering =D

As I said, the course at Maryland, ENCE201 >> deems it a sophmore Civil Engineering "intro" course, though the last few assignments have been considerably harder. But yeah, I probably need to read up to find out what's going on here too haha.

Yeah I really just meant I am in the completely wrong field for this stuff, but it sure does look cool! :D

Back