[H]elp me win an overclocking contest

paulmofyourhand

[H]ard|Gawd
from what i know, they will be doing it by percentage of score increase
(ie - stock = 4000 points, OC = 6000 points, that would be a 50% score, and highest percentage wins)

i have the rig in the sig....but i just bought some mushkin pc4000,

*would the 2.4C be my number one choice?

and a shuttle sn45g (nforce2 ultra400) and extra cooling mods.
corsair TWinx pc3200LL (and run an external power supply just for the contest), locked 2500+ barton @ 3200+ speeds.

*would the 1700+ be my number one choice?
*or would i get a higher percentage score with a 2500+ M ?

let me know what you guys would recommend?

(so of course ima be looking for these monster chips)

-paulm

A good 2.4c with the pc4000 ram would probably get you to 3.2/3.4. So, you'll get close to 50% overclocking with the P4.

I think a real nice 1700+ would give you the biggest actual overclock. I have a 1700 here that does 2.5 pretty easily. That's over a gigahertz OC(and 70%!).

Yeah my 1700+ does the speed in the Sig. I'd try and scare up some mushkin BH-5 ram (all Level II stuff is BH-5), and a DFI infinity. That'll give you the highest increase over stock.

are you allowed to underclock ur cpu before? or does it actually have to be stock??

no your not allowed to underclock,

the prize is the corsair hydrocooler

ive been looking in teh FS/T area a lot , and i think i scored some good ones.

i wanna hear from those running the AMD mobile series, how good OCer are they?

-paulm

Try and find a Celeron 533MHz :D

Those things could OC to 1066MHz :D

Of course..... that'll only count if they measure by percentage overclocked.

Now how are they judging this?

Cause if its by percentage then find a old celeron 300A, I had one that run 600...thats a 100% overlcock

If its by pure mhz speed then a p4 no doubt.

But, a overclocked p4 at 3.2-3.5 will still lose to a overclocked Barton at 2.5...the Barton 2500M has been known to hit 2.5 with some really good cooling...

Originally posted by Highlife
Now how are they judging this?

Cause if its by percentage then find a old celeron 300A, I had one that run 600...thats a 100% overlcock

If its by pure mhz speed then a p4 no doubt.

But, a overclocked p4 at 3.2-3.5 will still lose to a overclocked Barton at 2.5...the Barton 2500M has been known to hit 2.5 with some really good cooling...

that was my first impressoin, but if you read my post from the begining, they are doing it by increased points from stock

-paulm

but could the 386 RUN the tests:confused:

i'd try the celeron + pelt route. except you don't have the watercooling yet... that could put a damper on it. mod a sp-97 for celeron???

Originally posted by rogue_jedi
but could the 386 RUN the tests:confused:

i'd try the celeron + pelt route. except you don't have the watercooling yet... that could put a damper on it. mod a sp-97 for celeron???

I have a 386... I plugged a 2 gig HDD into it via a sound card, and guess what? It will run XP Pro. ;) Average boot times of 12 hours aren't bad. Just don't try surfing the internet... :p

thou art insane.

how 'bout 3dmark? (maybe 3dmark88...)
sandra?
prime95?

maybe you should try a 486 with a pci fx5200 in it. and 1gb of memory:D

thou art insane.

how 'bout 3dmark? (maybe 3dmark88...)
sandra?
prime95?

maybe you should try a 486 with a pci fx5200 in it. and 1gb of memory:D

The, ah, chipsets they use don't support PCI... It's all ISA. And as for 3d mark and other benchmarks, they would take too long to load... Prime 95 might be good though. ;) I'll have to dig my old machine out..

Also, the 386 and 486 were limited to SIMMs, and they just don't make simms big enough for a gig of RAM.

thx for the ancient tour back in the past :)

but i wanna buy a proc that will work with my P4p800 or SN45g,

-paulm

Originally posted by paulmofyourhand
thx for the ancient tour back in the past :)

but i wanna buy a proc that will work with my P4p800 or SN45g,

-paulm

lol I'd give the 1700+ a shot. Put some LN2 on it and you can get some pretty high overclocks. 2.8 has been done before, if I'm not mistaken.

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
The, ah, chipsets they use don't support PCI... It's all ISA. And as for 3d mark and other benchmarks, they would take too long to load... Prime 95 might be good though. ;) I'll have to dig my old machine out..

Also, the 386 and 486 were limited to SIMMs, and they just don't make simms big enough for a gig of RAM.

ah yes, i remember now. it was the pentium 60 i had that got pci. i bought my first 3d accelerator (voodoo banshee... god i loved that card) so that i could play lego island. those were the days...

and it wasn't until the cyrix pr200 that i had 256mb ram. i still have all those chips (i think) and i probably have the motherboards as well... somewhere:D

surprised no one has mentioned the p4 1.6a yet.

good luck whatever you do.

and what is keeping you from just buying the hydrocool? is this an excuse to get a new machine as well? or is it just for fun?

well if i win it it would be free ;)

and its for fun, since i suck at gaming so bad, i might as well build fast comps

oh yea!!! the 1.6a , i forgot all about those, but you know anyone getting rid of theirs?

-paulm

you could either

A) stop sucking at games (practice i guess)
B) check FS/FT for 1.6a's.

good luck.

it'd be really, really awesome if you got a p4 1.6 and ran it at 200fsb for 3.2ghz. that'd be damn awesome (and doable if you got a good chip)

o yeah, i think compgeeks.com has some (dunno if they sold out yet)

you could either

A) stop sucking at games (practice i guess)
B) check FS/FT for 1.6a's.

good luck.

it'd be really, really awesome if you got a p4 1.6 and ran it at 200fsb for 3.2ghz. that'd be damn awesome (and doable if you got a good chip)

o yeah, i think compgeeks.com has some (dunno if they sold out yet)

a) yup

b) ive been checking for those 1.6a for weeks, i think one popped up but i lost the link.

-paulm

Back