[H] Contest! Make me a personalized guide on how to OC my 4790k! Winner = two games!

Arct1c0n

Gawd
Hey fellow followers of the Republic of the deep red Asus gamers! I recently retired my faithful but aging i5 2500k setup anbuilt myself a new Haswell gaming setup with the following specs:

Devils Canyon i7 4790k
Asus ROG Maximum Hero VII mobo
Thermaltake True Spirit 140 Power HSF cooler
G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz DDR3 16 Gig RAM
ASUS STRIX 980 4gig
Samsung Evo 500gig SSD

But with a new setup, im at a complete loss as out to PROPERLY do mild overclock on my basically begging for it i7 4790k CPU and sexy Hero VII motherboard. I've done tons of research on the web and on here, but im still really confused on how to properly do this. I started getting frustrated with all the information overload and confusion on what settings to change/not to change, explanation of settings in the motherboard etc.... :mad:

What I really needed and would like is a specialized personal guide with visual's, tips and information for my EXACT motherboard and CPU with the most current BIOS. ;)

Not only would this greatly help me learn how to properly do overclocking on this new rig, but this guide will also help other owners of the HERO VII motherboard and or 4790k owners as well!

But asking for someone to make me a customized how to guide for overclocking? That's kinda asking a lot I thought. So.... then I thought, why not give people a bit of an incentive, like a prize? A contest! Perfect!

So here is my proposal!

CONTEST: Make me a personalized guide/walkthrough/visual aid on how to overclock my 4790k CPU on my Asus HERO VII motherboard within the next 7 days, ending February 14th at midnight!

THE PRIZES? A rare AMD Star Citizen digital download bundle that I have laying around from a contest that I will not use personally AND a full digital copy of Dragon Age: Inquisition! The AMD code gives you access to a rare AMD themed ship in Star Citizen as well as full access to the ARENA COMMANDER MODULE and the ORIGIN card gives you full copy of the newest Dragon Age via EA's origin!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/amdmovr

swXajbF.png

osYlGit.jpg

And the second awesome prize!!

XMn9837.gif

So how's that for a nice little reward for helping a noobie overclocker out? :cool:

RULES:

1. Contest begins NOW and ends EXACTLY at MIDNIGHT Pacific Standard Time on Feb 14th.

2. Only ONE entry per poster *duh*

3. You MUST create an ORIGINAL walkthrough guide with content of your own making. NO reposting/copy and pasting of existing walkthroughs, posts, or websites!

4. Submissions MUST be posted in this thread or posted in thread with a hyperlink to a different website/video/blog

5. To stand out from all other guides, walkthroughs and postings about this, your guide MUST use pictures/screenshots, diagrams or even video to show me how to personally overclock with this motherboard and 4790k IN DETAIL and with simple explanations of how and why to do things. TEXT ONLY SUBMISSIONS WILL BE DISQUALIFIED WITH NO SECOND CHANCES!

7. DO NOT post/link your submissions onto a social media outlet such as facebook. Host them yourself on your own website/blog/ or within this thread. NO EXCEPTIONS

8. DO NOT post WORK IN PROGRESS submissions! ONLY post in this thread with your FULLY COMPLETED GUIDE

9. Creating a guide with ANY OTHER HARDWARE that is NOT a Asus ROG Maximum Hero VII motherboard and Intel i7 4790k will be DISQUALIFIED

So, with the formalities out of the way, show me what you can do. I am a very visual based learner so the more screenshots of the Hero VII BIOS you can show me, with diagrams, arrows, explanations of settings or even a video of the process you can do, the better chance you have of winning! So impress me! Show me how to overclock my new system into a real beast

pqbWK3U.jpg

Noobs take note: this is the proper way to ask for help without wanting to use google :p

My 4790K went to 5.2ghz on a Hero and good water cooling. The reason you are confused is simple. No two combos are the same. And out of the extra bios setting the Hero offers over other offering or Asus Rog Boards in general. Nobody will have a pat way for you to get from point A to B. Your going to have to work it and learn.

Hence why I am running a contest just for that. Or did you not even read original post? :rolleyes:

I think there just trying to brush off the competition so there guide wins..

I mean it's not every day on these forums someone asks for help and has a contest for it with prizes.

Here you are, OP, a customized overclocking guide, as per your request for the contest:

(see full gallery on imgur http://imgur.com/a/9fMeX )

PDF version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9dgllkccs2wv9qz/4790K%20Overclocking%20with%20ASUS%20Maximus%20VII%20HERO%202-13-2015.pdf?dl=0

Edit: It was requested that I determine how to get the processor core voltage and speed to down-throttle when not in use, and then ramp back up as needed.

The answer is by enabling C-States in the BIOS and setting the power option to "Balanced" in Windows.

I have drafted an addendum to this guide, which is in this post here: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041439338&postcount=35

Eventually I will add this information to the overall guide.

2xhs6sQ.jpg

4irt3yR.jpg

inaTkXK.jpg

RgN0el1.jpg

cH286LH.jpg

ESIG4cm.jpg

PlC6gzs.jpg

1HoM8VY.jpg

VuQBtQt.jpg

BSXnCOA.jpg

GvsCJEJ.jpg

qy7xXX6.jpg

JrqoOmg.jpg

z77Zzc5.jpg

FkuZa2I.jpg

Yyvd6WE.jpg

AzlMnln.jpg

9A7lqad.jpg

4oMC3R3.jpg

A37ZKIr.jpg

F78sS5J.jpg

TimQvFn.jpg

RczndAk.jpg

SpaT7Y3.jpg

vyZdXKB.jpg

lIS0F9r.jpg

i6ctPwG.jpg

MYyG1sV.jpg

rdIaLLQ.jpg

Last edited:
@HardKard-Damn! You did a beautiful job. You won the internets like a boss!

Utterly fantastic job HardKard!!!! You completely blew me away with your results, complete with even a printable pdf version that I never even thought about! Congrads, enjoy your prizes, you totally deserve them!

This is a great thread for a number of reasons. :D

@HardKard-Damn! You did a beautiful job. You won the internets like a boss!

Give him his price! hehe nice! Thanks for all the hard work.

Utterly fantastic job HardKard!!!! You completely blew me away with your results, complete with even a printable pdf version that I never even thought about! Congrads, enjoy your prizes, you totally deserve them!

Cheers, thanks everyone, and thank you VERY much Arc (don't mind if I call you that, do I?)

OP delivered - - I'll be excited to install these games tonight. I have DA:I on the 360, but I have been wanting to get it for PC so that I can REALLY enjoy the graphics (and mod it)!

qhuWpTbm.png

** Constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement and additions to this guide are welcome!

Was I unclear anywhere? Are there details that I should add to improve the readability? Just let me know...

I think I might have gotten a processor from a lucky batch.
This 4790K seems to overclock very easily, and stepping down the voltage to reduce temperature still results in a stable overclock.

Here's the box batch code and other information, for those that track that sort of thing - -

xovlDm2l.jpg

I have not yet succeeded with what I consider a stable 4.8GHz overclock. I can get it to post and to the desktop at 4.8GHz, and I can even do "normal" tasks and stress it with AIDA64 without crashing for hours.

As soon as I try Prime95, however, I can easily make it BSOD within minutes.

Temperature? Maybe. I will keep trying. Only so much that I can do on air...

Hope this is helpful for everyone, shoot me any questions here in this thread (rather than PMs, please!).

-hk

Last edited:
HardKard, im curiuos. Any particular reason you didn't change the voltages to manual to have more control or does it just get even more complex with little benefits? I know after my research everyone seems to indicated the stock settings with the Hero board seems to give the 4790k's too much voltage.

Also, is it possible to follow the guide by just going via BIOS vs using the easier but less reliable Windows software tweaking?

HardKard, im curiuos. Any particular reason you didn't change the voltages to manual to have more control or does it just get even more complex with little benefits?

I definitely recommend manual voltage once you settle in at a speed that you are comfortable with and stable at.

When you are stable at the speed you want, note what voltage the motherboard automatically assigns, change to manual voltage, and then start to step down from that automatically assigned voltage a little at a time.

Keep testing and stepping down until you crash, and then step back up slightly.

I detailed that "step and test" process in the tutorial as a fairly long spread of images.

For instance, I am now running my "day to day use" speed at 4.7GHz. I got to that speed by using automatic voltage and settings, and then I stepped down the voltage to get better temperatures. As well, I moved the CPU cache ratio up from the initial 39 to 44, which is reported to assist with performance.

Basically, the goal is to achieve the overclock with the lowest possible voltage, but the automatic rules help get you started.

I know after my research everyone seems to indicated the stock settings with the Hero board seems to give the 4790k's too much voltage.

That is also what I read. I think that the automatic choice would be "too much" on the long term, since more voltage = more temperature. It appears that the ASUS automatic rules attempt to ensure success at the cost of temperature by adding a bit more voltage than might be needed.

It's a great place to start, however, and then work down from once you succeed in the initial overclock.

Also, is it possible to follow the guide by just going via BIOS vs using the easier but less reliable Windows software tweaking?

Aye, you can reboot each time and tweak the ratio, voltage, or other settings instead of using ASUS AI Suite III.

I personally found it useful to mess with the manual voltage and CPU cache ratio right from Windows, test it a bit, observe the temperatures and stability, and then reboot and set that voltage directly in the BIOS.

Same result can be obtained by rebooting and doing it in the BIOS, but I offer it as a way to save a few steps.

:)

I definitely recommend manual voltage once you settle in at a speed that you are comfortable with and stable at.

When you are stable at the speed you want, note what voltage the motherboard automatically assigns, change to manual voltage, and then start to step down from that automatically assigned voltage a little at a time.

Keep testing and stepping down until you crash, and then step back up slightly.

What does the screen look like with manual voltage? Is it showing idle voltage and load voltage to change or what? Again, sorry for all questions but this is why I put out request for a walkthrough on all of this for me as its info overload

What does the screen look like with manual voltage? Is it showing idle voltage and load voltage to change or what? Again, sorry for all questions but this is why I put out request for a walkthrough on all of this for me as its info overload

No problem! Glad to help :)

When in the BIOS and on your "My Favorites" page as how it's shown set up in the tutorial, if you choose "Manual Mode" instead of "Adaptive Mode" a NEW field appears below the drop-down selector called "CPU Core Voltage Override."

In that field you can input your selected manual voltage. The voltage it is showing in white to the left is the current voltage it is/was selecting. Here's an example from the guide:

(Post continues after image)
AzlMnln.jpg

And, how do you know what voltage to use?

I determine that by looking at ASUS AI Suite III while in Windows, and seeing what it has assigned to the automatic voltage when using "Adaptive Mode."

Since Adaptive Mode increases and decreases the voltage based on load, keep an eye on what voltage it is selecting during benchmarking, too. THAT higher voltage is probably the one to start with for your Manual Mode entry

(See the "Voltage" section in the screenshot panel down below? That's the one to watch. You can even click the red triangle in the lower right of the "Voltage" box to get a graph over time view.)

z77Zzc5.jpg

So Kard, im going through the awesome guide but i'm confused on one part. Is the overclocking effecting the CPU in turbo boost loads? If so, is the speed also change for the idle loads? Or is the overclocking going to overrride all power savings and have the 4 cores run at full crank at all time?

So Kard, im going through the awesome guide but i'm confused on one part. Is the overclocking effecting the CPU in turbo boost loads? If so, is the speed also change for the idle loads? Or is the overclocking going to overrride all power savings and have the 4 cores run at full crank at all time?

The answer is . . . full crank all the time

zWP2VERl.jpg

You are correct, it will run it at the same speed/voltage whether idle or at load.

This is the downside of "Manual Mode."

The inbetween choice would be "Offset Mode," which I may try tinkering with.

I am pretty happy with 4.7GHz and 1.225V for 31 degrees idle, 62-ish at load, though, so for 24-7 use, it seems reasonable, even if it never scales down...

How's your overclock coming? Where are you at with speeds, temps, and voltage?

@HardKard
hope you don't mind that I've made "black ink friendly" version for printing :)
DropBox Link
Great guide! :) might finally get my ass together to get past 4.6ghz lazyness setup that i have atm :)

@HardKard
hope you don't mind that I've made "black ink friendly" version for printing :)
DropBox Link
Great guide! :) might finally get my ass together to get past 4.6ghz lazyness setup that i have atm :)

Hahahaha, yeah, good idea! The white on black is great for screen-reading (I hate bright white websites when I am reading late at night), but it would murder your printer right quick...

Thanks for doing that, appreciate it!

T
You are correct, it will run it at the same speed/voltage whether idle or at load.

This is the downside of "Manual Mode."

The inbetween choice would be "Offset Mode," which I may try tinkering with.

I am pretty happy with 4.7GHz and 1.225V for 31 degrees idle, 62-ish at load, though, so for 24-7 use, it seems reasonable, even if it never scales down...

How's your overclock coming? Where are you at with speeds, temps, and voltage?

Yeah, I don't want it running at 4.6ghz all the time, thats completely unnecassary. I have a big LAN party coming up this weekend so I can't afford the time to attempt overclocking right now, I need my system to run completely stable for the tournements.

Yeah, I don't want it running at 4.6ghz all the time, thats completely unnecassary. I have a big LAN party coming up this weekend so I can't afford the time to attempt overclocking right now, I need my system to run completely stable for the tournements.

If you aren't already, I would suggest running your board at the "default" 4.4GHz for this weekend, which is rock-solid stable and will work great.

For reference, that "default" of 4.4GHz is achieved by simply setting the following:

Ai Overclock Tuner: XMP
CPU Core Ratio: Sync All Cores
1-Core Ratio Limit: Auto (just type in 'Auto')
Min. CPU Cache Ratio: Auto (again, just type in 'Auto')
Max. CPU Cache Ratio: Auto
CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive Mode

That's it! I think you will find that to be zippy but stable.

I will keep working on my own overclock and see how the performance is on "Offset Mode" instead of "Manual Mode" and let you know.

The CPU already turbo boosts to 4.4ghz on stock mode, so I'm confused as to what that will do for me

The CPU already turbo boosts to 4.4ghz on stock mode, so I'm confused as to what that will do for me

Yup, it will be stock, but stable, as requested.

Alternately, you can choose the 4.6GHz settings with Adaptive Mode voltage, which should be stable, but as pointed out previously, a bit generous with the voltage, leading to slightly higher temps - - but it will scale the voltage when not in use, as desired.

:D

Now I'm confused, didn't you state earlier though with adaptive voltage my clock speed is going to remain at overclocked speeds no matter what?

And my setup on all stock settings turbo boosts to 4.4ghz out of the box, so hence I'm confused by your previous post

Now I'm confused, didn't you state earlier though with adaptive voltage my clock speed is going to remain at overclocked speeds no matter what?

And my setup on all stock settings turbo boosts to 4.4ghz out of the box, so hence I'm confused by your previous post

I think I am seeing what you are thinking now, as I read back one of your previous posts - -

...Is the overclocking effecting the CPU in turbo boost loads? If so, is the speed also change for the idle loads? Or is the overclocking going to overrride all power savings and have the 4 cores run at full crank at all time?

With overclocking like this, there is no scaleable "boost to one speed while I'm using it, drop it when I am not" like Intel's Turbo Boost does at stock.

And, yes, you are correct, even with Adaptive Mode the **voltage** might drop as the load drops, but the selected overclock speed will remain the same.

Now, that said, you COULD develop multiple profiles from within ASUS AI Suite III, and then switch between them when you need it, and switch back when not...

But, that would be a manual operation, not automatic.

...does that help clarify things a bit?

Man, I don't know what the hell Prime95's deal is but it sure as hell makes me worry enough not to use it. It even goes up .020v compared to Intel's test and then shoots the temps to the 90's for no apparent reason

RtIkbgn.jpg

Xv6Yecl.jpg

Guess where I'm getting confused is that this guy's has managed to get the best of both worlds.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1852684

Niiiiiiice...I'll have to read that and see what he's up to and if there's anything in there for me.

Thanks!

C-States and a few other settings enabled and tuned in order to get downclocking and volt lowering while idle.

Looks like this will be the next chapter...

Time to dig in, learn, and tweak - - I'll let you know what I find out after I've polished the settings and method!

That was an educational and useful journey. Thanks for pushing this thread forward, Arc, by requesting a better solution.

Simple directions below on how to throttle voltage and processor speed even with overclock settings enabled. My original guide is a very “classic” approach to overclocking, and my 2010-era experience is clearly showing in those instructions. It’s a very clean and simple approach, producing stable, powerful overclocks, but doesn’t take advantage of some of the great features we are paying for in our current-gen motherboards and processors.

One thing that Haswell processors have are new power-saving states that offer very low idle power consumption. These features are disabled by default on many motherboards, including the ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO, which is apparently done to ensure maximum compatibility. As well, a few settings in Windows have to be changed in order to gain these power-saving benefits.

Let’s begin.

Boot into the BIOS, and let’s add a new category to our “My Favorites” page

Look under “Advanced” for “CPU Power Management Configuration” and add it

MbeqoD2.jpg

UcGKgQZ.jpg

Now, return to your “My Favorites” page and enter into the “CPU Power Management Configuration” category

EAAUf8u.jpg

What we are seeking to enable are the processor “C-States” which can be seen on this configuration page. You can leave (or change) “Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology” and “Turbo Mode” on “Enabled.”

Change “CPU C-States” to “Enabled,” and a whole new list of option will appear.

Leave all those options at their default, they are fine, the main thing we are doing here is just enabling the C-States for power savings.

IbGpScl.jpg

g67e4XY.jpg

That’s it in the BIOS! I recommend, as before, creating a new profile and saving these settings for easy switching in the future.

Z7jQ9bk.jpg

Okay, now boot into Windows, and we need to change a Power Configuration setting in order to take advantage of the C-States capability of our 4790K processor.

From the Control Panel (or whatever your preferred method of getting to the setting), choose “Power Options.” I had “High performance” selected, which is probably what many of you default to when setting up Windows. Change that to “Balanced.”

yJY5UoC.jpg

EEFZoGR.jpg

This next bit is optional, but maybe worth confirming. Click on “Change Plan Settings” to the right of “Balanced” and maybe change the basic settings for the “Balanced” plan. For instance, I prefer the screen to turn off after one hour, and for the computer to never sleep.

Further power plan configuration changes can be made by clicking “Change advanced power settings.” I personally change the hard disk spin down time to “Never” by changing the minutes to “0.” I had seen some guidance on a few forums about tinkering with the “Processor power management” settings, however most people seem to report that there is no need to modify anything here. The default settings are just fine.

gereOcL.jpg

HPhR9ZU.jpg

qiTXzey.jpg

Qk8ef4r.jpg

And, that’s it! Really. Your processor and voltage should throttle based on demand now.

I ran AIDA64 for a good eight hour stress test, and was pleased with what I saw.

ya3YSsz.jpg

Here you can see the processor speed throttling down after I ended the test run. You will note the voltage doing the same when you are idle.

f1CgMm3.jpg

One thing I don’t like is that the ring bus cache never clocks down below 4.4GHz (called “North Bridge Clock” on the AIDA64 charts, and of course called “CPU Cache Ratio” in the BIOS and my guide, and technically is what is called the “ring bus cache.”).

I thought I would be clever and set the “Min. CPU Cache Ratio” to “Auto” in the BIOS, and left the “Max. CPU Cache Ratio” to 44, which would have throttled down the cache speed when not in use. Apparently not, though, and right now I am not ever seeing it change.

LKkgmnv.jpg

I’m starting to change my mind about the ring bus cache speed, however. This is my new favorite Haswell overclock guide, and in it they have a great section called “Ring Bus Doesn’t Matter”: http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

Good read - - I’m thinking about just changing my “Min. CPU Cache Ratio” and “Max. CPU Cache Ratio” to Auto and calling it a day.

I’d enjoy hearing some discussion and ideas on it, though, and I will keep trying to see if I can get it to throttle in time with the processor.

Hope that helps, happy overclocking, and I will be adding this into the original guide as an addendum here in a few days!

-hk

Sweeet! Once I get back from my big LAN party, i'll start looking into finally doing some overclocking

Grrr, my 30 day AID64 ran out, and im not paying for it. Guess i'll just Intels benchmark utility as I just don't trust Prime95 anymore on my Devils Canyon

A member asked that I update my overclocking guide to include the addendum with instructions on throttling your overclock.

Here's the link to the PDF for anyone that wants it - -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/suktgkss07f29ex/4790K%20Overclocking%20with%20ASUS%20Maximus%20VII%20HERO%203-25-2015.pdf?dl=0

Basically, it's directions on how to enable C-States in the BIOS and then change a few Windows settings so that your overclock voltage and speed goes up and down on demand, rather than running full-bore all the time.

Same performance, but lower temperatures and probably a longer life for your components!

Happy overclocking...

-hk

Back