[H] Box / Child's Play Donation Giveaway

This is a great idea, and makes me glad to take part in this community. There is only so much we as individuals can do to help others, but thousands of people each do what they can, it's just unbelieveable how much can be accomplished.

Kyle, thats awful nice of you to offer up your machine for raffle too -- I am sure that will be a motivating factor for many people to donate with a chance to win a machine that badass! :D

cheers.

made my donation for the kids. good to see people giving back this season.

Just curious how the raffle will be "performed"? Lots of paper in a hat? Random search algorithm? Whoever has two h's in their name??

To heck with Kyle and those guy's signing it! If I win, I want it signed by Asia Carrera, and let her have the custom paint on HER system!!!
A ticket a day keeps the odds at bay!

chisaipete said:
Just curious how the raffle will be "performed"? Lots of paper in a hat? Random search algorithm? Whoever has two h's in their name??

I will print a spread sheet out with all the names on it. Mix the pages up and let my 5 year old pick one of the pages. Then we will stick that page on the wall and chunk a dart at it, and the name that gets hit, gets the box.

Any objections?

If Steve can get Asia to pose in front of it and autograph it then I will print a skin wrap for the case in high res printed vinyl. - Of course contour cutting around the autographs without cutting off any of Asia's important bits. :) This will go to the winner also if they want that instead of the custom paint job from the raffle.

Rich

Sounds great! The dart part is excellent, and I believe your son will have excellent taste.

I feel dumb now... all hail the n00b, is your 5 year old a boy/girl Kyle?

This would be a dream, but donating is more the point so Im in as soon as my AMEX comes in, I hope it takes cc paypal.

I say let the 5 year old throw it. Just uh.. stand far away and keep the box behind the child unless you want to be poked.

Although the drunken fun sounds better...

Given a resonably large number of pages printed out, there is a equal chance for any one person to be in the center of the chosen page. As such, the probability that the dart may hit somewhere in the middle of the page really doesn't affect your odds of being chosen. The only thing I would suggest is that the page be turned so that the person throwing the dart can't see the printed side. Not that it would really matter that much.

DogChainX said:
What about those who bought more than one ticket? I know that if the names are listed alphabetically, then the chances to get hit with the dart increases, but not if they're all on the same page that gets discarded.

Perhaps randomly mix the names up rather than alphabetically, that way those who put in for more than one ticket can have an overall benefit of their tickets after pages have been discarded.

good point. if i happen to purchase 10 tickets and i am on the page that is drawn...then i have a better chance at winning.

DogChainX said:
What about those who bought more than one ticket? I know that if the names are listed alphabetically, then the chances to get hit with the dart increases, but not if they're all on the same page that gets discarded.

Perhaps randomly mix the names up rather than alphabetically, that way those who put in for more than one ticket can have an overall benefit of their tickets after pages have been discarded.

I would assume that Kyle would use a randomization function within the list to equally distribute those names that have more than one entry. It seems that some are focusing on the prize and not the entry itself. Take a minute to read the item description on your confirmation email; ultimately we all win.

Here are some rough statistics:

Assume:
There are 2160 entries total (rough guess based on $20k goal)
You bought 10 tickets
There are 80 entries per printed page

Then:
There will be about 27 pages printed ( 2160/80 = 27)

Pure chance of winning: 0.46% = 10/2160

If NONE of your entries share the same page:
Chance: 0.46% = (10/27) * (1/80)

If ALL of your entries share the same page:
Chance: 0.46% = (1/27) * (10/80)

Conclusion: It really doesn't matter how your name is dispersed in the listing, your chances of winning are the same.

Hope this helps.

setscrew said:
I would assume that Kyle would use a randomization function within the list to equally distribute those names that have more than one entry. It seems that some are focusing on the prize and not the entry itself. Take a minute to read the item description on your confirmation email; ultimately we all win.

Oh, I think most people understand the entry is for The Kids. However, I seriously doubt you'd raise $15,000 in less than 3 days for just a "Donate $10 to the Kids" drive without Kyle's computer as icing on the cake, and its pretty tempting icing to boot. (no pun intended)

Besides, this thread is to discuss the Donation/Giveaway, so why not discuss the Giveaway aspect?

Also, for those who don't know what Child Play Charity actualy is, I'd suggest read a few of the Photos/Letters at www.childsplaycharity.org to see how your donation helps kids. Some are quite touching, and perhaps move you to donate more.

A very good cause, with an added bonus of being added into a Giveaway.

When I asked the original question which inspired the Randomness discussion I was only curious how he was going to pick from 2000+ names randomly...

I didn't mean to distract from the real cause of donation :rolleyes:

I think that, after a page has been chosen, Kyle should post the names of all of the people on that page and then have the dart thrown the next day. I just think that would make it more interesting, because of the multiple rounds of elimination (first page then dart).

This is depressing, I forgot my Paypal password, and the password to the email account its associated with, as well as my secret question passwords. :(

Donated what I could today. I do not hardly expect to win the raffle, but it is the Christmas season and it is a time to think of others.

Kyle you are an inspriation to many!

Ha remembered the password and donated.

Lil off topic, but does anyone else donate to other charitys like Toys for Tots?

I did it last year, and definatly gonna do it this year.

chisaipete said:
Sounds great! The dart part is excellent, and I believe your son will have excellent taste.

I feel dumb now... all hail the n00b, is your 5 year old a boy/girl Kyle?

I have a 5 year old boy, and a 3 year old girl. :)

DogChainX said:

Also, who is throwing the dart? Someone thats able to hit a bullseye? Or someone that has no business throwing a dart? (ie, completely and utterly intoxicated) I say this due to one's "want" to hit the middle of the page at which the dart is being thrown, effectively removing any chances of anyone on the top or bottom margins for their name being hit.

In the end I love the creativity of the process, just that I'm not sure the chances are effectively even for everyone. Maybe the old fashioned "pick a name out of the hat" type of raffle would work best. Or maybe i'm justing being anal. :p

Any thoughts anyone? :cool:

(and yes, i bought more than one ticket and no, i didn't take statistics in college)

Those who have donated more than once will be on the list the appropriate amount of times. They will be in the order of which they are purchased.

Thanks for your suggestions.

setscrew said:

Yeah, that is a good idea, we will do it that way.

The more I think about it, the handgun thing sounds kinda cool. If you won, you should get the sheet with the bullet hole,too. :D

I'd donate more if I could see a video of the winning "shot." :eek:

My entry is in!

Could be a sweet Christmas if I win as I do not currently have my own PC at the moment.

- JT

I think the case should be signed by all the [H] Staff Members (if possible). Then if the winner is kind enough, auction that off and give the proceeds to childsplay. ^_^

Back