[H]ardOCP Forum Readers. I have a technical question/s for you guys.

Hey [H]ardOCP Readers. I have a technical question/s for you guys.

I need to know everything, and anything that could possibly go wrong with the Intel 875 Chipsets. Bios problems, compatibility issues with different combinations of hardware, etc...... Overclocking results and any other information you guys can muster up is greatly appreciated. I know I am asking for the world... :p

The reason is I have an MSI 865PE Platinum Edition board, I went through two RMA's of that exact same motherboard with the memory controller, or memory really being messed up. I was so fed up with the problems and compatibility issues between the Mushkin PC3500 Level One and the MSI 865PE Platinum Edition motherboard that I tossed it, and I now have an MSI 875 P-FISR Board.

I built an awsome rig back in Janurary ($1500), when the Prescott was only a week old, A Swiftech 478 (Monster Heatsink :D ), the Mushkin PC3500 Level One ram had only been out for like a month, got a 9600XT (which had to be RMA'd 4 months later and got a 9800 Pro), SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Card, An Antec SOHO File Server, and a 430 TruePower Powersupply (Which might I add had to be replaced, and I got a 480TruePower instead).

This machine has been a nightmare since day one, I feel like I have had to replace everything, actually come to think of it everything was RMA'd and replaced with something new execpt the heatsink and processor! I am sorry if I have jumped the gun on the 875 chipsets, but I don't want any more problems. I mean I have been batting zero for ten months here when trying to overclock and such. All I want is a little stability, and I can't even get that! :(

You guys have no idea the nightmare I had between these two components (Ram and Processor), at stock they worked 95% of the time. I could go into all the problems that has occured with the combination listed above, it would take eight pages single spaced to write them all out! And no I am not joking. I mean, I have seen nothing quite like this before. Please Help me!

This is why I am a little gun-shy when it comes time on 10/25 (Monday) to rebuild this new rig and test it for compatability. My new rig is listed below, can someone please tell me what to expect from this combanition of parts? And what kind of overclocking/performance can I expect rom this rig?

My rig is as follows...

---MSI 875 P-FISR
---Intel Pentium 4 Prescott @ 2.80 Ghz
---I Had Mushkin PC3500 Level One Dual Pack (One Gig) (RMA'd this stuff and got the OCZ :D )
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-294&depa=1
---***Just Bought OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-890&depa=1
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Overclocked Stable to 435/375 with an Artic Cooler Rev. 2)
Antec SOHO File Server Metallic Gray
SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Card
480TruePower instead
Swiftech 478 Heatsink

Prefer information on this rig and the problems that might occur. Thanks! You Guys at [H]ardOCP are awsome!!!

You don't ask for much do you?

I think it would be best if you posted any problems your having.

Yeah, The 875 chipset is actually one of the more stable p4 choices. If you have any problems, I'm sure you'll get some troubleshooting help, but as far as the "known" issues with the board, I don't personally know any. MSI is a pretty reputable company, so...

Alright, here's what I'll do... When I get the new motherboard, and go through the extensive testing, I will post the problems here. I appreciate the help. I will get back to you guys later this week, or early next week. Thanks.

Are you still having problems with the new setup? If so, what are they specifically? Also, what makes you think the chipset is the problem? I'd like to help you out, but I don't really know what your problem is, so I don't know where to begin. Just in general, from the reviews and my personal experience, the 875 chipset seems pretty bug-less.

-SEAL

SEALTeamSix said:
Are you still having problems with the new setup? If so, what are they specifically? Also, what makes you think the chipset is the problem? I'd like to help you out, but I don't really know what your problem is, so I don't know where to begin. Just in general, from the reviews and my personal experience, the 875 chipset seems pretty bug-less.

-SEAL

I think he didn't ever really had a problem but was more looking to ask what he should expect for problems so he could be more prepared for when his equipment arrives. Most likely he wont have any problems though :) He just jumped the gun a bit :)

I have the same board and it's ok but I hate the quirkyness I see in booting. Sometimes it boots and fails (Ram timings etc) but everything is ok after a cold boot. After extensive reading many users have it but it's not everytime so it's hard to bitch. Goofyness in hardware is not appreciated at all though. Mine OC's quite well but a locked multiplier doesn't help. The board is a wee expensive without reason, IMO

I now have OCZ 3200 rev2 for my 939 setup but never got to try it on this 875. I sold it to a buddy but woulda been intersting to see it perform. My OCZ PC4000 coodn't hit 250FSB but I never went wild with it...

TheLastAlliance said:
Bu...Bump... Please Help Me guys on any suggestions...

Not really sure what your asking here. You want a list of all potential problems you might have? That could be a long list. And from the sounds of your experiences, you may be more qualified to list pc problems than some of us.

I don't wanna sound mean, but at some point you have to ask yourself, 'Is it the Indian or the arrow?' I've never heard of anyone having so many issues with hardware.

I hope you solve your potential problems. I'll be more than happy to try to help you out when you come up with any immediate issues you might be having.

Hey there... I am sorry guys if it sounds a bit confusing, there's a lot to try to type and ask, and put it in a form that sounds logicial and makes sence. What I am trying to ask in a less complicated form is, what should I expect from overclocknig and performance with this new rig based on the parts I listed? And any issues that this hardware might have when combined together? That's all I am really trying to say.

And anyone that has the OCZ EL Platinum Edition 2-2-2, what kind of overclocks can I execpt on an Intel Motherboard? There are like no reviews that I have found that pair up this memory with Intel based motherboards. Most are paied up with the Athlon 64 boards like on Anandtech and others outstanding review sites.

Except for the MSI mobo, everything looks good. I'm not a big fan of MSI and frankly you don't hear much about them in OC circles. I would go with an ASUS P4C800-E Dlx or ABIT IC7-G. I have both boards and highly reccomend them both.

With that setup you should be able to get an OC similar to mine, maybe better. You can usually count on at least a 500mhz OC from most modern Intel cpu's. As long as you have decent hardware supporting it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Have fun putting it all together and good luck with the OC.

Back