[H]ardest Ghottomod

kenprescott21

Limp Gawd
e5200 oc'd to 3520. (11X320) 1.408V
Stock cooling with Prime95 sent this badboy to a constant max of 79*C. I didn't have to work tonight at my other job, so I decided to do something about it. My case has one of those big 9" fans on the side of it, so I decided to utilize it.

I started by pulling the badboy out from underneath the Tv.
1comp.gif

I removed the sidepanel and started by building a duct around the processor. Yes that is cardboard from a case of beer.
2testsleave.gif

Now its time to duct up the large fan.
3bigsleeve.gif

Started cutting the cardboard about every half inch to inch. Folding it in and taping it down, making sure there is enough room to clear my video card.
4build.gif

Test fitting sleeve for the processor.
5testfit.gif

After that got fitted in there, there was alot of air escaping from around the fan. To bad I was out of electrical tape. Thanks to christmas I have some scotch tape from wrapping presents ftw.
5air.gif

Final shot!
6final.gif

My girlfriend caught me posting these and called me a "Dorky Alchoholic". Please don't comment about the beer, i was broke.

looks like its actually making it worse, and at best dropped temps by a few degrees, i would of left it as it is so the rest of the system gets some air.

One mod that would better would be just to strap a 120mm fan onto the stock cooler, and im sure it will be better. :cool:

looks like its actually making it worse, and at best dropped temps by a few degrees, i would of left it as it is so the rest of the system gets some air.

One mod that would better would be just to strap a 120mm fan onto the stock cooler, and im sure it will be better. :cool:

Casper whats up buddy? I don't think its making it worse, I did a solid job of rounding the cardboard into the small duct. Aslo, Ill be upgrading the badboy anyways with a real aftermarket cooler, another 6400aaks, 4 more gigs of ram this friday. o_O

Burton560, Keystone was cheeper then pbr and natty light. I don't like blowing big money on beer, only the hardstuff.

Boomslang, c'mon man, cheep beer box cpu duct, with scotch and electrical. I thought it was pretty ghetto. Top 5 of all time maybe? ;)

It is pretty ghetto. the choice of beer makes it better. Personally I like it. I think I might go make a Milwaukee's Best Ice cooler for mine.

+5 food stamps

Casper whats up buddy? I don't think its making it worse, I did a solid job of rounding the cardboard into the small duct. Aslo, Ill be upgrading the badboy anyways with a real aftermarket cooler, another 6400aaks, 4 more gigs of ram this friday. o_O

Burton560, Keystone was cheeper then pbr and natty light. I don't like blowing big money on beer, only the hardstuff.

Boomslang, c'mon man, cheep beer box cpu duct, with scotch and electrical. I thought it was pretty ghetto. Top 5 of all time maybe? ;)

it really depends if the duct is more air then sending it through the duct. ;)

What i meant to say is if the duct is moving all of the air the fan is pushing through the duct. Some air might get trapped and not move towards the exit and just build up that it escapes from the top of the fan, Its very similar to the dust filters i bought, they restricted soo much air that i felt air being pushed as if the fan was an exhaust while i had it as an intake.

One test you can do to see if its working, is pop a hole near the far end of the duct, that being just lifting a peice of tape thats holding it together, and seeing if air escapes from there, then closing it and seeing if the force of the main duct gets stronger when its sealed, and or of course just seeing if any air is moving back out the fan. I can't really tell from the pictures but it looks like there is a decent space between the fan and the duct you made, that might be eliminating what im trying to get across.

Don't get me wrong, this mod is far from ghetto, its very interesting, due to the size of the fan and all the pressure its pushing towards the heatsink, and if everything is fine, it should drop temps by a bit. Like i said before, i would let it be without the duct since the big fan seems that it moves air across the entire system. :cool:

I actually like your system im really moving towards a smaller case than my masstige, i was about to pull the trigger on a lian-li pc-a05b but shipping cost is killer :(

I actually like your system im really moving towards a smaller case than my masstige, i was about to pull the trigger on a lian-li pc-a05b but shipping cost is killer :(

Buddy, I got a cheep case from geeks.com witha generic 550w psu.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=939PL&cat=CAS&cpc=CASbsc

The psu worked fine for me, although when I upgrade it a little in the next few weeks im going to look for a more name brand psu. This one isnt giving me any problems but from what people on this site say, only certian ps manufacturers are 'good'.

Anyways, monday when I have the afternoon ill try the pressure test you suggested. What I used was the overclock you suggested to me awhile back, I just turned the multiplyer down to 11 instead of 12.5. Temps on prime 95 topped out at 79*c. Now with this foolish duct it top out at 65* to 69*C. Solid i guess for a beer drinking geek. After the harddrive, cooler and memory upgrade im going to sell my 9600gt and look for a solid ati card that i can buy another one of when the time comes for crossfire.

Hows your 5200 holding up? Be careful when i get some dry ice we might have a clock-off. ;)

EDIT:
Whats your cpu score in 3DMark Vantage?

It survived the dry ice overclocking and its still 100 ibt runs stable, so good to see no damage was done.

I can not say the same with my q9550 and gtx 260 that got knocked out by a corsair psu. Still have not heard if intel will replace the chip for me.

Damn I love this mod. Love the use of beer box and duct tape. Pretty creative and nicely executed.
10c improvement by just using card board and duct tape is excellent.

Like i said before, i would let it be without the duct since the big fan seems that it moves air across the entire system. :cool:

He seems to have a front intake fan...and rear exhaust fan...that should be enough air movement for the rest of the components.

Back