[H]ard Sff Club

Private message Steeeeve, Michigan PC, or TheBlueChanell to be added.
------------------
President: Michigan PC
Vice President: TheBlueChanell
Treasurer/Manager: Steeeeve

President of Shuttle Division:
Arkanian
President of Qpack Division: Votey
President of Silverstone Division: TESLA

Motherboard Maniac: Dillusion
Case Designer: Jen
Research Engineer: svet-am

Honorary Members:

Members:
CRaZYMoFo
lt_shiro
Scar1.8T
chambersc
CapnBiggles
DMarti
Treyshadow
aiya
DSF767
[RCKY] Thor
igl00jx
Uncle Toxie
m0s3s27
RadCliffeX
sabrewolf732
MassiveOverkill
chameleoneel
Dell Dude B120
Myrandex
Atticus_gamer
phillyp1982

Pending Addition of tag to sig:
BurntToast

------------------
Remember!! To join do the following:
  • Add "SFF Club Member" to your signature
  • Private Message an officer to confirm membership

SFF Club News (04/02/2006)

First off, I have been promoted by our president Michigan PC who has returned from his leave of absense. My new title is treasurer/manager.

Case dimensions wanted!
If you have a SFF Case other than a shuttle, we need you! Many questions come up about dimensions for the case and it would be nice to give our readers and idea of what parts they can fit into a SFF. We already have someone doing the Qpack but we need others for the other box-type cases. This is for the SFF FAQs for the box-type cases. PM me for more information if you are interested

Dillusion, it would be nice if you could do the SFF FAQ for the shuttles. PM me if you are interested. You are free to make it however you want :).

This was a recent idea by member Dillusion:
I think it would be cool if we could get in touch with the monarch guy or the frozenCPU guy and maybe have an SFF club coupon code or something once a month thats only available in this thread for us. I also think we should have FS/FT anncoucnements like the HTPC section does, where users post good deals from FS/FT on SFF equiptment, i always see QPACK's, mATX mobos, etc being sold that you guys ask for bu i let them pass
I really like the two ideas here. I want to get a SFF FAQ that is usable first though. After that we might have some credibility for getting coupons. The FS/FT thing is also good and we can get started on that real soon. I will check out the HTPC section and see what we can do with that.

!!Finally, if an admin reads this, is there anyway I could get access to updating the SFF Club Thread first post so I don't have to keep posting the list and stuff.!!

Thanks guy, hopefully we can make this a better club that is useable for all :)

Help put together a new SFF FAQ!

Anyone willing to make a FAQ for one of the many cases or components please PM me. I have a FAQ for the qpack and motherboards. I would like one for the Silverstone, Shuttles, Antec Aria, and maybe a few other things.

I hope to get a nice SFF FAQ done by next Monday but who knows. Thanks! :D

What do you guys think: MSi K8NGM2-FID or DFi RS482, gonna OC my 144 w/ a divider.

Dillusion said:
What do you guys think: MSi K8NGM2-FID or DFi RS482, gonna OC my 144 w/ a divider.

i'm likeing the dfi very much now ,

hugs

Jen

i've been slammed busy at work for the past two weeks (we're in the middle of rolling out a new product).

I should have some free time this weekend though. I've already got a fair amount of the measurements from my wife's QPACK and have been making an AutoCAD model as time permits. If anyone wants to send me raw data from various chassis, I can probably turn it into good blueprints.

I can do some bs on the SG01 if you want, or anything really- i pretty have owned everything :D

yeah, do what you can. SG01 would be nice... I have someone else working on the Aria. The shuttles might be hard but maybe some of those :). I think the "box type" cases are a main priority though.

Steeeeve said:
yeah, do what you can. SG01 would be nice... I have someone else working on the Aria. The shuttles might be hard but maybe some of those :). I think the "box type" cases are a main priority though.
I think Shuttles need to be measured, too. I know from experience that at least some of them are *barely* wide enough to use a standard uATX mainboard. So, since it is technically possible, I think it would be a good idea to include them as a reference.

Hey All. Steeeve one of should really get ahold of Dworley, he's had the most shuttles out of everyone here I believe. I'm sure he'll pickup the Qmicra when it's released also.

sffclub.com is a spin off from the Club started here. It has no relation to [H]ard Forums what so ever..I just created the website to provide a better source of SFF information. Once the site is up (starting May 1st official) I will set up the "club" part and make it a club updated SFF website. For now I just link to sffclub.com sometimes so people can view info I have up there already.

SFFClub.com is going to be launched on May 1st. While this site is unrelated to [H]ard Forums...it will have many of the same leadership as the club here. Hopefully we can make it a good addition to the great community we have here.

I would like to inform thou art of thine new rig:

Pentium D 830
ASUS P5LD2-VM
SS SG01-S
36GB Raptor
2GB G.Skill ddr2-667
eVGA 7900GT KO
Liberty 400w
Audigy 2

Dillusion said:

Pentium D 830
ASUS P5LD2-VM
SS SG01-S
36GB Raptor
2GB G.Skill ddr2-667
eVGA 7900GT KO
Liberty 400w
Audigy 2

Christ Man. Everytime I turn around you have something else. How does that PD compare to the X2's. Do you like it? Also, Why didn't you go for a Core-Duo. Where do you sell your old rigs at? How much do you spend a month on upgrades. You said it only costs you about $50 a month but I can see it being much more expensive.

TheBlueChanell said:
Christ Man. Everytime I turn around you have something else. How does that PD compare to the X2's. Do you like it? Also, Why didn't you go for a Core-Duo. Where do you sell your old rigs at? How much do you spend a month on upgrades. You said it only costs you about $50 a month but I can see it being much more expensive.

Dont have any of it yet, so I wouldnt know, thats next weeks build. Core Duo is still expensive at ~230$ for the chip and around 300-400$ for the ES's floating around. Not a good mobo selection yet either. I generally upgrade about 3-4 things a month...

It does more or less. I sold the P-M Setup for like 500$ and threw in about 60$ for the A64 setup, and i just sold the A64 setup and threw in about 75$ to get that one up there. I trade/sell on a pur of the moment thing. If theres a [H]ot deal going on, ill immediately sell and jump on it, and if someone is getting rid of something in FS/FT for a good price, i just on it aswell. Its hard to calculate exactly what i spend, i just know my limits for the month (~150$ on computer parts from KB/mouse to PSU). For example, for my ram for that rig, i have a 2GB Mushkin DDR1 kit i traded + a mobo for the CPU, but then i needed new ram, so i traded the CPU + 2 old ram sticks for a friends 2GB Kit, then i sold that and bought a brand new kit off newegg and kept the difference for a VC upgrade (the 7900)...

So, it gets confusing ;)

Yeah, add me to the "members" list. hehe. Rig in the sig and below:

Silverstone SG01-Evo w/ UltraX2 550watt PSU
AMD Athlon64 x2 4800+ Dual Core w/ Silverstone SST-NT06
eVGA 131 K8 NF44 AX m-ATX w/ 2Gb (2x1024Mb) Corsair XMS C2 DDR
XFX 7900GTX Extreme 512Mb Video [700/1600]
74Gb WD Raptor 10K SATA & 400Gb WD4000YR RE2 SATA
12x Plextor DVD SATA, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen LCD
Logitech Z-5500 5.1 THX Certified Speakers

-E

i've been out of touch for a little while -- been slammed with work and such. just thought i'd post to let everyone know that i'm still alive and 'active' with the SFF club.

Dillusion said:

Pentium D 830
ASUS P5LD2-VM
SS SG01-S
36GB Raptor
2GB G.Skill ddr2-667
eVGA 7900GT KO
Liberty 400w
Audigy 2
just a point of clarification "thine" would refer to "your" in modern english. to say "thine wife is a baseless tart" would be to say "your wife is a loose whore" in modern english. old english would actually use "mine" to refer to "my" since "mine" comes from the german "mein".

i know that's semantic, but it's better to use allusions properly, imho
tongue.gif

my point in all of this? you called it "thine new computer" -- if you want to give that computer to me, i'm all for it
biggrin.gif

Super SFF Project Idea

I came up with this idea a while ago, it was that, I want to take the shell/casing of a Nintendo Gamecube, and fit a mini-ITX System inside of it. I have thought up various fun ways to make it functional and am still elaborating on it and drawing out some blueprints. Im thinking of taking a Socket T LGA 775 Mini-ITX board and a low-heat S775 CPU and using passive cooling with ultra-low noise fans, using a laptop hdd, and a slim optical drive, or somehow imcorporating an optical drive into the already existing flip-top. I find incorporating the flip top a bit hard so im going to look and see how I can get rid of it and replace that space with a slim optical drive. I'll have some plans drawn and scanned later, ill keep you all posted! I think this is an absolutely SFF and an absolutely awesome idea, please submit ideas if you have some!

Update: I was just checking out the dimensions for the cube, and its 5.9" Wide, 6.3" Deep, so its gonna be a bit of a squeeze, but it MIGHT be possible to shave .2 to .3" off the edge of the board, so it just might be possible.

Smart ass :p

BTW: Do you guys wanna have a FS/FT/Hotdeals announcements thread somewhere. I'm always selling my shit and buying new stuff, and i always see good deals on mATX stuff online. I tried making a thread once but no one liked it? :confused:

Brainstorm...

I'm about to give up on sff and just buy a laptop. They just aren't small enough and there isn't enough support!

what kinda support are you looking for?

As for small...they are smaller than a mid tower :)

You cant beat having something the size of a cube sit silently on your desktop :p . Not only is it tiny, but it even looks kick ass.

Steeeeve said:
what kinda support are you looking for?

As for small...they are smaller than a mid tower :)

Small, flat, risers for a pci card or two and a riser for the pci-e gpu that faces the opposite direction, power cables and ribbons the fit onto the board edgewise, useful cooling solutions for this format, slanted memory slots (like sodimms), and laptop like sata drives. Even a case that supports small hard disks.

I just don't understand why people want a large and loud computer. There needs to be more support for small/thin/quiet.

velusip said:
Small, flat, risers for a pci card or two and a riser for the pci-e gpu that faces the opposite direction, power cables and ribbons the fit onto the board edgewise, useful cooling solutions for this format, slanted memory slots (like sodimms), and laptop like sata drives. Even a case that supports small hard disks.

I just don't understand why people want a large and loud computer. There needs to be more support for small/thin/quiet.

yeah, a laptop is going to be right up your alley but that means you sacrific performance. SFF is the balance between quiet and performance.

Space is at a premium at Casa del Toxie and let me tell you, my Shuttle was a gift from the computer Gods. My old system was a big tower, that I still have some use for, and there was no way I could two systems in my little desk. That is not unless one was a SFF. Now my main machine sits right next to my old CD/Floppy caddy. Everyone that has seen it falls in love with it. I just wish I could make a file server out of one, I could stack four of them in the same spot my current server/old workstation sits.

www.sffclub.com will be reviewing the following cases really soon:

*Silverstone SG01 w/ CPU cooler and Sugo Pack
*Antec NSK 3300
*Ultra Micro Fly update w/ X2 PSU

I'm excited :)

What about the Antec NSK2400? I'm thinking of getting one, but not so sure if a decent video card will even fit into it. (Ex: Sapphire X1600XT)

velusip said:
What about the Antec NSK2400? I'm thinking of getting one, but not so sure if a decent video card will even fit into it. (Ex: Sapphire X1600XT)

I don't include those as SFF's yet...they seem to be their own breed.

I can see the sign now "No HTPCs".

"Oh man, I'll never get into the club now."

velusip said:
I can see the sign now "No HTPCs".

"Oh man, I'll never get into the club now."

Just not there yet...there aren't many people working on the site so it takes time.

But you have to admit that there is a difference between the desktop entertinment cases and SFF toaster cubes. The interesting thing to think about is the fact that there is some overlap in who buys them. I'm sure quite a few of each type that end up in the same place, being media centers. This is either because they have the hi-tech look, quiet aspect or their size is working in their favor, some cases manage to do all three. I wouldn't consider anything other than Antec's Aria an SFF case (of the cases made my Antec). No mater how quiet the entertainment center cases are they're still desktops on their side. Lol, don't ask me about mini-towers they're like the strange offspring of a midtower and SFF, he he he...

Emission said:
Super SFF Project Idea

I came up with this idea a while ago, it was that, I want to take the shell/casing of a Nintendo Gamecube, and fit a mini-ITX System inside of it. I have thought up various fun ways to make it functional and am still elaborating on it and drawing out some blueprints. Im thinking of taking a Socket T LGA 775 Mini-ITX board and a low-heat S775 CPU and using passive cooling with ultra-low noise fans, using a laptop hdd, and a slim optical drive, or somehow imcorporating an optical drive into the already existing flip-top. I find incorporating the flip top a bit hard so im going to look and see how I can get rid of it and replace that space with a slim optical drive. I'll have some plans drawn and scanned later, ill keep you all posted! I think this is an absolutely SFF and an absolutely awesome idea, please submit ideas if you have some!

Update: I was just checking out the dimensions for the cube, and its 5.9" Wide, 6.3" Deep, so its gonna be a bit of a squeeze, but it MIGHT be possible to shave .2 to .3" off the edge of the board, so it just might be possible.

Darn you ive been thinking of this for a while just never had the money, i think you will need a nano-itx board though

Back