[H]ard|OCP Xbox 360 Sneak Peek

HardOCP News

[H] News
Our Xbox 360 Sneak Peek is up, let us know what you think.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzY4

"We all know that the Xbox 360 will be a gaming console, but did you know its abilities are going to reach far beyond playing games? The Xbox 360 has changed the Xbox from a gaming console into a lifestyle device.

The Xbox has matured from gaming console into a full-fledged digital entertainment device known as the Xbox 360."

Sweet. Drooling for months now waiting for the release... Then the price break! :p

Looks sexy, and fast as hell! Hope we can get Linux on it ASAP :D

saturnine2 said:
Looks sexy, and fast as hell! Hope we can get Linux on it ASAP :D

wonder if it can run osx? That would be more poetic justice than linux (yet shacknews reports it's ipod compatible)

3 PPC cores at 2 threads per core? 48 pipes?

This looks insane. Hopefully PC gaming will be able to keep up with R520 and G70 :cool:

palindrome said:
omfg fuck mtv. 3 sec clip of game. 10 second clip of dusche bags playing.

do you honestly think that they are targeting hardcore gamers with the MTV special (the only tech specs they mentioned were wireless and HD)?

It's like the spike VGA's. targeting the 20year old college kids who think they are cool cause they play halo

The information contained in this fact sheet relates to a prerelease product that may be substantially modified before its first commercial release. Accordingly, the information may not accurately describe or reflect the product when first commercially released. This fact sheet is provided for informational purposes only, and Microsoft makes no warranties, express or implied, with respect to the fact sheet or the information contained in it.

from http://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox360/peripheralsfactsheet.htm

which means none of these specs are set in stone yet, so for all we know it may be one intel CPU and a nvidia chip

Naldo said:
So, does it have a VGA port on it?

i really hope so...

i also hope the games look better than they did on that mtv thing (the pics online certainly do).

Ballz2TheWallz said:
you honestly belive it would go down?with all the hype sony will try to make,and the hype of the supposed 4core cpu and dual cored R520 NR?*cough*lies*cough*

I didn't believe it for one bit, I'm just pointing out to everyone that is getting excited about a quad CPU console (that claims to have more power than most enterprise servers) with a vpu to rival sli that it might not all be in the box when you walk out of bestbuy with it

1 TFLOP! Is that a typo?

The PS3's Cell claims to have 256 GFLOPs of performance.

The graphics chip on the Nintendo system isn't too hard to believe, but i for one think the 4-core CPU is a load of crap as well. And I LIKE Nintendo. Those rumours are just rumours speculated by a fake-poster on a blog. I believe Nintendo will have 2 G5-based CPUs in their next one. PS Don't believe MS specs either... remember the "spec" wars of the last generation. They said they did hundreds of millions of poly's, and then they went on to say that the PS2 has 70 million poly's and the Gamecube could only do 11 mill. And the Gamecube is certainly more powerful than the PS2. And 11 mill is the "real world" benchmark. And to make things worse, typical gamers bought that shit. Yes, the X-box has the most power current-gen... But it is not leagues beyond the Gamecube, nor is it even leagues beyond the PS2.

looks sweet . I can't wait to. I love xbox!!! new if the only release the expansion pack pack to d3 ..... ohh yeaa

steviep said:
The graphics chip on the Nintendo system isn't too hard to believe, but i for one think the 4-core CPU is a load of crap as well. And I LIKE Nintendo. Those rumours are just rumours speculated by a fake-poster on a blog. I believe Nintendo will have 2 G5-based CPUs in their next one. PS Don't believe MS specs either... remember the "spec" wars of the last generation. They said they did hundreds of millions of poly's, and then they went on to say that the PS2 has 70 million poly's and the Gamecube could only do 11 mill. And the Gamecube is certainly more powerful than the PS2. And 11 mill is the "real world" benchmark. And to make things worse, typical gamers bought that shit. Yes, the X-box has the most power current-gen... But it is not leagues beyond the Gamecube, nor is it even leagues beyond the PS2.
gamecube advertised 2texture therotical max,xbox and sony put out raw. really with 2 textures the xbox puts out 31million and ps2 puts like 20million. remember a X850XT is supposed to push like 800million isnt it? ms is being nice and advertiseing 500million :p lowering specs is suicide only thing they can do is raise them and it will probably be based on what sony and nintendo have up there sleeve in E3

Razor6 said:
1 TFLOP! Is that a typo?

The PS3's Cell claims to have 256 GFLOPs of performance.
well since these arent being used in supercomputer applications, flops are a big deal

Ballz2TheWallz said:
gamecube advertised 2texture therotical max,xbox and sony put out raw. really with 2 textures the xbox puts out 31million and ps2 puts like 20million. remember a X850XT is supposed to push like 800million isnt it? ms is being nice and advertiseing 500million :p lowering specs is suicide only thing they can do is raise them and it will probably be based on what sony and nintendo have up there sleeve in E3
no, gamecube advertised IN GAME PERFORMANCE, with ai and physics and all the other crap going on.

Ballz2TheWallz said:
im still mad ms cut out game footage on rpg's and shit i guess its not "cool enough" for mtv
games with stories arent flashy enough for mtv

i would pay $500 for it.

it seems to have more power than a $1000 computer.

ryanrule said:
no, gamecube advertised IN GAME PERFORMANCE, with ai and physics and all the other crap going on.
techniqually so did xbox because those rendering specs i gave left the cpu idle. ps2 not so because it only has one procesor that takes roles of both gpu and cpu.

So they went with an ATI vid card instead of an NVIDIA one... And I'm assuming they're not using an NVIDIA chipset on the motherboard either, seeing as how its an IBM cpu.

I only have one question: Will it still have Dolby Digital Live encoding like the original XBOX?

The original Dolby Interactive Content Encoder tech was licensed by NVIDIA from Dolby Labs and integrated into the nForce2 APU & the XBOX motherboard, I wonder what they'll do now without any NVIDIA hardware?

I'm wondering if [h] really saw an ipod hooked up to it and playing mp3s. I have to use ephpod on windows to play mp3s from the ipod - plugging it straight in shows an empty drive.

I'd be really suprised if this was $300 at launch. MS are going to be only next gen console available this christmas and so have no price competition. Still, I'd be tempted to buy one even for $400.

Ballz2TheWallz said:
techniqually so did xbox because those rendering specs i gave left the cpu idle. ps2 not so because it only has one procesor that takes roles of both gpu and cpu.
the cpu isnt idleing

ryanrule said:
the cpu isnt idleing
when rending all 31million 2texture polys,according to a techniqual analasys advisor and a activision dev,yeah the cpu is left pretty much idle so is gamecubes those specs are what the gpus put out alone

Dolby Digital 5.1 is also supported across all games to complete the fully immersive gaming experience.

w00t!

This is gonna kick so much ass when connected to my 7.1ch Home Theater setup. Can you say Halo 3 @ 950 watts :D

Naldo said:
So, does it have a VGA port on it?

More likely it'll have a proprietary output connector on the console itself, then sell separate cables to convert to VGA, HDMI, DVI, composite etc.

There are a few things which I have not seen anywhere since the official specs release.

1. Keyboard and Mouse support, the X360 has three USB2 ports, will I be able to hook up my Logitech MX Duo or a MS Wireless KB+Mouse and play FPS the way they are meant to be played?

2. Backwards compatability; There was a lot of hype on this one up until two days ago, now not a peep. Not really a big deal if the version of X360 with the HDD already has Halo2 on the HDD. As long as I can get my Halo2 fix.

3. VGA/DVI/HDMI? Will any of those options be available? (X2VGA as a last resort.)

Ballz2TheWallz said:
when rending all 31million 2texture polys,according to a techniqual analasys advisor and a activision dev,yeah the cpu is left pretty much idle so is gamecubes those specs are what the gpus put out alone
run a tech demo for your vid card. does the cpu idle?

Kyle mentioned "The removable and upgradeable hard drive will be a great feature" idea a couple times but I want something solid... Can you take the original 20GB HD outta the 360 and slap in, say, an old 80GB drive that I got laying around?

Do I need to leave the 20GB drive in the 360 and attach a different HD in an external USB enclosure to give additional space?

SilverMK3 said:
So they went with an ATI vid card instead of an NVIDIA one... And I'm assuming they're not using an NVIDIA chipset on the motherboard either, seeing as how its an IBM cpu.

I only have one question: Will it still have Dolby Digital Live encoding like the original XBOX?

The original Dolby Interactive Content Encoder tech was licensed by NVIDIA from Dolby Labs and integrated into the nForce2 APU & the XBOX motherboard, I wonder what they'll do now without any NVIDIA hardware?

I seriously doubt it was a exclusive license, as movies use Dolby Digital too, so there is no reason why ATI, or Microsoft, or IBM, or anyone else could not also get a license. (Creative Labs has a license I am sure)

==>Lazn

Steve said:
Our Xbox 360 Sneak Peek is up, let us know what you think.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzY4

"We all know that the Xbox 360 will be a gaming console, but did you know its abilities are going to reach far beyond playing games? The Xbox 360 has changed the Xbox from a gaming console into a lifestyle device.

The Xbox has matured from gaming console into a full-fledged digital entertainment device known as the Xbox 360."

Sweet write up Steve. Very cool.

Feel free to dump my thread on the Xbox360 and replace it with your write up. Yours is awesome! :)

I really am interested if you can put osx on it.. since it is a powerPC anyway... their is not even a powermac with those type of specs out yet... and if this new xbox is say.. 700 bucks.. it will still be a hell of a deal if you can put tiger on it... it could basically be a 700 3 core powermac.

I will be interested to see what type of hacks came out for it.. weither it be osx or linux.

Back