[H]appy System Administrator Appreciation Day!

HardOCP News

[H] News
Today is the 15th annual System Administrator Appreciation Day! If you have a sys admin, buy him / her a beer, give them a pat on the back, a much needed hug, a kick in the ass, or all of the above to let them know you appreciate them. :D

Let's face it, System Administrators get no respect 364 days a year. This is the day that all fellow System Administrators across the globe, will be showered with expensive sports cars and large piles of cash in appreciation of their diligent work. But seriously, we are asking for a nice token gift and some public acknowledgement. It's the least you could do.

I agree with zero...Yay to all the others out there.

Because the two of us here at my job have got no love.

:-/

Two thoughts..

1 - Adam Curry on the No Agenda Show aka "The Best Podcast in the Universe" has been for years saying that "the Sys Admins (aka "some dude named Ben") will save the world"..

front.jpg

and

2 - download for free Cory Doctorow's "When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth"

Yup, showered with stupid questions or tickets from illiterate users who broke shit, all while getting low pay and yelled at by management when systems outside of your control fail... I so love being a sys admin!!!....

*And that's why I'm going back to development...

Yup, showered with stupid questions or tickets from illiterate users who broke shit, all while getting low pay and yelled at by management when systems outside of your control fail... I so love being a sys admin!!!....

*And that's why I'm going back to development...

YIKES!!

I often have to fight with my boss because he seems to think that sysadmins/developers are interchangeable. He asked me yesterday what I knew about .NET. I knew where this was going, he wanted me to start writing. So I just told him "I know how to install it" and then walked away.

YIKES!!

I often have to fight with my boss because he seems to think that sysadmins/developers are interchangeable. He asked me yesterday what I knew about .NET. I knew where this was going, he wanted me to start writing. So I just told him "I know how to install it" and then walked away.

Yea..

/me regrets going into development.. they have it so much easier

WOOT WOOT! :D I sent out an e-mail and the responses I got were "I didn't know we had any here". I guess we're good at our job! :cool:

YIKES!!

I work at a software development company, so it's a little different here. We have a room full of developers, and have gone through a TON of them to get the staff we have. ALL of them make more than me, most of them are 3-4x my salary. If only they actually had the skill/knowledge to back that up... Gotta love it when they spend 3 hours stuck trying to figure out why their app isn't working, only for me to find the root cause in 5 minutes.. I help with a ton of the higher level architecture as well, but the company still doesn't want to adequately pay me... Fuck being a sys admin.

I work at a software development company, so it's a little different here. We have a room full of developers, and have gone through a TON of them to get the staff we have. ALL of them make more than me, most of them are 3-4x my salary. If only they actually had the skill/knowledge to back that up... Gotta love it when they spend 3 hours stuck trying to figure out why their app isn't working, only for me to find the root cause in 5 minutes.. I help with a ton of the higher level architecture as well, but the company still doesn't want to adequately pay me... Fuck being a sys admin.

Right there with you. Although we don't have that many developers, only around 10. Mainly because we can't keep them. The only other sysadmin here also does about half development and half sysadmin. I refuse to do both. But yes, the developers do get a good bit more pay, and do seem lacking in some basic troubleshooting skills.

Yay ... the grass is greener on the other side dev vs sysadmin debate

Curious, does anyone else here enjoy doing both?

Right now I'm doing devops stuff, automating sysadmin tasks + creating custom admin tools.

Mostly powershell+ tsql + some C#

I like it since repetitive admin tasks are the worst (reason I got into automation)

Well, I'm a developer at root and heart, but life has taken me down the sysadmin side. Heck, The Accidental Administrator book series perfectly defines my situation, heh.

Nevertheless, I think... in the end... y prefer the sysadmin side; at least in the sense that when I got here things where in a state of chaos. Now, after two and a half years of bringing order, I can spend my time sitting back and relax, just monitoring progress bars...

... that is, until some user calls... I hate the accounting dept. :p

Back