h.264 Playback Configuration Help

disc

Limp Gawd
Ok, I finally give on this one. I can't figure it out by myself. Crim, or Valve, I need your help.

I'm trying to set up my main box for h.264 playback. After I get the correct codec configuration figured out, I will set up my htpc for playback. My main rig has plenty of resources (Opteron 165, 7800GT, 2gig ram) to handle h.264, so that's why I started with it. Anyways, on to the problem.

I have downloaded the cyberlink h.264 decoder, elecard decoder, and the one that comes with ffdshow. I've downloaded the Haali splitter, and Nvidia's purevideo decoder to take advantage of my graphics card acceleration. For the life of me, I can't seem to gets these configured correctly in Media Player Classic (my preferred video player.) By installing said decoders, and I have been able to get h.264's to play, but I'm getting what can best be described as 'microstutters.' There is no stutter in the audio, but the the video just isn't smooth like it should be. I'm also noticing pretty ugly looking blocking. I've tried several source files, and they all seem to exhibit this behavior, which makes me think that it's a matter of my config. My CPU usage is by no means pegged (<15% utilization on both cores.)

I don't think I completely understand how to choose what decoders MPC uses. There doesn't seem to be much difference when I select these codecs in the 'external filters' or I leave the filters box empty. I've also tried to disable some of the internal filters, but I'm not quite sure what ones should be disabled.

Could you wiser guys give me some hints on getting MPC set up correctly, and perhaps give some insight into the microstuttering that I'm seeing. I appreciate it.

FIrst of all you have too much crap going on all at once. Simplify. You need to remove some of those codecs. I only have FFDShow for H264; open it up and go to the codec tab, scroll down until you find the H264 listing and enable it.

But, just so you know MPC isn't exactly the best for playback. I've noticed that it renders video differently then other players and it takes a higher then other players CPU usage.

I went ahead and uninstalled everything except for FFDShow. I'm still getting nasty stuttering in MPC. I downloaded VLC to test the encoding, and it plays perfectly smooth on VLC. Perhaps it is a MPC problem (though I've heard tons of great things about MPC+FFDshow and MPC+CoreAVC for h.264 playback.) I haven't a clue what to try next :confused:

There is no cure all for h.264 playback. It would be nice if there was one codec that worked for all of them but there are several ways that h.264 is created. That is why you need at least 2 or 3 different codec for h.264. Some of the new BBC programs just take a ton of cycles compared to other files.

In your PowerDVD go to your configuration/video/advanced/none. Many of the h.264 files do not accept de-interlacing and will stutter. If that does not work turn off the hardware acceleration and try again. If that does not work, use media player classic with the Haali splitter in ffdshow.

If this does not work, uninstall all of your codec packs including Nvidia Purevideo and PowerDVD. Reinstall in this order: Codec pack; Purevideo; PowerDVD. The reason being is that what you install will become the prominent and primary codec. You want the codec pack to be the underlying layer that catches all that the other newer installs do not handle. Purevideo is next installed to be the primary codec for DVD and HD. Then PowerDVD. PowerDVD will see its codec but if hardware acceleration is used, it will use Purevideo by default. If you use Media Player Classic the default for it will be the ffdshow preferences.

I personally prefer the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack and it is constantly updated and free.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm

Back