[H]0t : socket 939 dual core for $39.99 shipped NEW

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does that change anything I wrote? Do you get $20 or so to make up for the price difference by folding? :p
meh. maybe to some people. Just sayin
I have both X2 3800+ and X2 3600+ S939 processors and I don't think it will make a significant difference anyways.
Do you fold? If so, I would love to see the ppd comparison. Download "fahmon", which does a great job of monitoring any pc's on your network, and calculates PPD. I would love to know for certain what the actual PPD difference is.

meh. maybe to some people. Just sayin

Do you fold? If so, I would love to see the ppd comparison. Download "fahmon", which does a great job of monitoring any pc's on your network, and calculates PPD. I would love to know for certain what the actual PPD difference is.
Or, actually, if anybody has a 3600+, use fahmon to find the PPD, and report back. And I could do the same with my 3800+

I don't fold, but there is a bootable small F@H benchmark CD available here: http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/benchmark.html

That's much more useful for an apples to apples comparison since I can run the exact same work on both CPUs, where all other hardware and software is exactly the same.

LOL

33% higher cost (excluding shipping which is extra at ewiz, free at newegg) for 5-10% higher performance at stock? Not worth it, IMO.

the cache difference makes it a no brainer. 256K / core is a joke. $50 for a good dual core chip like that is awesome no matter how you slice it.

zero

Installed the X2 3600+ a few hours ago. First thing I did was OC and I have it sitting at 2.72Ghz rock solid. I'm not going to push it any further since I haven't even broke it in yet. As for actual performance, I noticed a nice speed boost with x64 Vista compared to my single core Opty running @ 2.85 Ghz. VERY satisfied with this $40 CPU. Thanks Newegg!

256K / core is a joke.
Good thing CPUs aren't judged on feelings, but on performance.

The smaller cache 3600+ is only about 5% slower than the 3800+. Read the thread. ewiz has it for $53 + shipping (~$61 total). That's $21 more than the one at newegg. A 50% higher price for 5% extra performance isn't worth it. Get it now? :rolleyes:

I have a KN8 939 board with Opteron 146.

What would be the best price/performace upgrade? Pricegrabber shows the top 939 duo at around high $200s but is it worth it...

Just to put the ridiculous 3600+ (lack of) performance myth to rest, here it is vs a 3800+ on the same hardware/software/WUs using the Linux based Folding benchmark CD (it runs 2 WUs at once on these dual core CPUs):

3600gj7.png
3800zl6.png

0%-5% difference on the WU types tested. Overall it's 248 vs 253, a 2% average difference in PPD. It's insignificant in folding like I said above. :rolleyes: And just to revise what I said above, paying $60 after shipping for the 3800+ at ewiz for 2% extra performance vs the $40 shipped 3600+ at newegg is a dumb waste of money for folding.

I have a feeling the people pimping the 3800+ over the 3600+ in this thread aren't going to buy either, they're just here to try to stir up some myths. Anyone should know now that the PR numbers AMD assigns are arbitrary, or should be able to figure that out by looking at several other processors that have the same PR and vastly different performance.

So you pick folding for an example of the benefits of L2 Cache?

Maybe you could find something with a smaller footprint to make your case. LOL

For things like servers, gaming and HTPCs, the L2 cache bump will yield far larger improvements because the Processor will be

In environments where the application code working sets are small, performance is far less dependent on L2 cache size

^Folding...

For servers:

ps4q99-L2cache3.gif

Figure 4 shows that an application with a smaller footprint, such as a simple Web server, still benefits from larger L2 caches. The data shows that adding processors without an attendant increase in cache size would leave from 6 percent to 11 percent of the potential performance gain "on the table." Specifying larger caches when you select more processors is like getting compound interest.

ps4q99-L2cache4.gif

On similar applications, throuput was vastly increased as well.

ps4q99-L2cache5.gif

Essentially, you picked the least applicable use to measure L2 cache benefits. :rolleyes: I'd spend the extra money, unless this will be a dedicated folding box - in which I'd make a number of other specialized selections for product as well.

Again, for $53, which is very cheap for a nice dual core, for the more common applications, the 3800 is the best bet.

All info and charts from Dell.com

zero.

So you pick folding for an example of the benefits of L2 Cache?
I wish you would bother to read the thread. If you had brought up another example, you could then criticize the example that has been discussed for the last couple of pages.

Again, for $53, which is very cheap for a nice dual core, for the more common applications, the 3800 is the best bet.
LOL, nice pics. It's $53 + $9 shipping at ewiz, so at least try to do the math correctly. Cache size matters very little between the S939 X2 3800+ and S939 X2 3600+.

Your little Dell graphs have nothing to do with this. :rolleyes:

PLONK!

Dell says Hotlinking=no.
None of the images above work for me.

PXC, thanks for the effort, but unfortunately those benchmarks use two instances of the single-threaded FAH client. From what I have read (couldn't tell you where, though) the SMP-aware FAH client is much more sensitive to cache. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference, I'm not sure. I do know that the SMP test is the only relevant one though, because the SMP client produces far greater output than 2x single threaded cleints do. Also, the memory footprint of the SMP client is significantly higher than two single clients.

So consider me still not convinced the 3800+ doesn't hold a significant folding advantage over the 3600+ in the SMP program, but you're getting me closer :D

I'm not here to crap on this thread....I think the 3600+ is absolutely the way to go if cache-intensive apps aren't being used (i.e. for 95% of people), but I'm still suspicious of the SMP folding performance based on my experience with both a 3600+ (in the past) and a 3800+ currently.

From what I have read (couldn't tell you where, though) the SMP-aware FAH client is much more sensitive to cache.
Sure thing, keep telling yourself what you want to believe. I'm sure it works out great.

Sure thing, keep telling yourself what you want to believe. I'm sure it works out great.
Nice. Let me know when you learn to have a mature discussion about this, and we can return to comparing facts.

I'm not sure about FAH but according to the reviews I've seen, there's usually a 2-5 percent increase in performance when using a 3800+ over the 3600+. Other times there's no difference in performance at all.

Anyways, I've already overclocked this processor to 2.72 Ghz and I'll probably try and push it a little further down the road when I'm bored and need something to do. The 3600+ is a great buy for only 39.99 and I really doubt the 3800+ would offer any kind of advantage over it unless you want a few extra points in 3DMARK 06.

Damnit, I'm still waiting for mine. Has anybody else ordered one and not gotten it yet? 3 day shipping my ass.

GTA3. Mine just arrived this afternoon. Check your status on Newegg. It should tell you exactly where it is right now.

Daddy: What motherboard are you using/cooling? I am hoping to get some sort of overclock on this. I am using an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (had a bitch of a time flashing the bios on that SOB) and could only overclock my old 90nm 3200+ a mere 200mhz before I would BSOD. It wasn't temps, but it just wouldn't budge higher no matter what voltages or memory configurations I would use (using very good Mushkin RAM). I know other people had MUCH greater overclocking with my same proc and Mobo back in the day.

GTA3. Mine just arrived this afternoon. Check your status on Newegg. It should tell you exactly where it is right now.

Daddy: What motherboard are you using/cooling? I am hoping to get some sort of overclock on this. I am using an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (had a bitch of a time flashing the bios on that SOB) and could only overclock my old 90nm 3200+ a mere 200mhz before I would BSOD. It wasn't temps, but it just wouldn't budge higher no matter what voltages or memory configurations I would use (using very good Mushkin RAM). I know other people had MUCH greater overclocking with my same proc and Mobo back in the day.
I'm using the A8N32-SLI Deluxe. Currently have the CPU sitting @ 2.72 using the 10x multi, HT Link is @ 1360 and my value ram is sitting @ 453.4.

I'm using the A8N32-SLI Deluxe. Currently have the CPU sitting @ 2.72 using the 10x multi, HT Link is @ 1360 and my value ram is sitting @ 453.4.

Alright so we are running pretty similar equipment. Well I sucessfully installed. I also ordered the Coolermaster heatsink fan linked in this thread as well for only $5. Right now I am idling at about 33c and loading at 52c. However, my fan speed is not increasing. Anyone here know how I might be able to up the fan speed to get a little better load cooling?

Alright so we are running pretty similar equipment. Well I sucessfully installed. I also ordered the Coolermaster heatsink fan linked in this thread as well for only $5. Right now I am idling at about 33c and loading at 52c. However, my fan speed is not increasing. Anyone here know how I might be able to up the fan speed to get a little better load cooling?
BIOS

Alright now I can't even overclock 100mhz. I am guessing I just got a crap mobo that won't overclock at all. Disappointing because I could really use a bit more cpu performance in a few games.

Alright now I can't even overclock 100mhz. I am guessing I just got a crap mobo that won't overclock at all.
I'm running my 3600+ at 2.7GHz (same speed as my old 3800+), HTT @ 270MHz (4x HTT multiplier) on a cheap-o ECS NF4 SLI motherboard. :cool: I might pick up another one of these X2 3600+ CPUs.

Well i'm glad this deal was still alive since i just messed up one of my san diego core processors !&$#! (carp!). Great way to use up those xmas gift cards!

What's all the hubbub about the 256k cache? I thought that old x-bit labs review layed all of that crap to rest...

Thanks again for posting OP

Well i'm glad this deal was still alive since i just messed up one of my san diego core processors !&$#! (carp!). Great way to use up those xmas gift cards!

What's all the hubbub about the 256k cache? I thought that old x-bit labs review layed all of that crap to rest...

Thanks again for posting OP
I just got my 3600+ to run stable @ 2.82Ghz. Awesome
ocoz5.jpg
back for my buck!

i am in for one.
Should be a great upgrade for my wifes pc from a 2100athlon to this 3600x2.

im posted from my upgraded 939 system with this new 3600+ i flashed the bios for X2 support and it works great! going to have a nice file server and WHS!

MSI K8N neo4 SLI

i had a 3500+ and upgraded to this:D im also going to play around with vmware so i figure dual core will help that alot

Back in stock? When I clicked the product description, it said, "In stock", but the main CPU page w/ the three socket 939's indicate that this chip is OOS...

I was able to order one.

Back in stock? When I clicked the product description, it said, "In stock", but the main CPU page w/ the three socket 939's indicate that this chip is OOS...

I was able to order one.

Really? I clicked 'production description' and got an OOS. Linky, pls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back