Gygabyte is selling more than Asus.

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
Today I read a news that says that Gigabyte is selling more than Asus.

Quiete a bit strange...

What do you think about that?

Gigabyte has better prices for boards with the same specs and Asus's bad CS is scaring people away?

I never owned one and I see no reason to start now.

I think ASUS also has more little quality control problems that can rear their ugly heads over time. This is the main reason I switched from ASUS to Gigabyte.

My last build used an ASUS (P5N32E-SLI Plus) board. It couldn't push 4 sticks of memory at 1066 MHz, even when using memory from the list of approved products. The heat pipes started to corrode even when I cleaned my computer regularly. The CMOS battery backup just stopped working after a short period of time: every time power went out or the AC cord was unplugged the BIOS would need to be reset, even after trying several new batteries. The BIOS needed 2 updates out of the box to work properly with the rest of my hardware. Those are just the biggest annoyances.

I went with a Gigabyte U3DH in my newest build and I couldn't be happier. It's sexy looking and offered all the features I needed at the right price point. Setup was a breeze. One thing I will give ASUS is their software suite seems to have worked better than Gigabyte's is working for me now.

I wont buy Asus again due to being refused warranty on a new motherboard that was faulty 3 years ago.
I am also using Gigabyte now and having found their customer support to be first class will continue to do so.

I switched to MSI, rma hasn't been too bad, I started the process day after christmas, got a board back that looked like a potato chip all bent and shit. Took a few more days but they sent me a paid label to rma it again lol. Not bad for a $250 Military Class board.

Maybe people are sick and tired of ASUS' horrible CS.

I certainely will never buy anything made by them again.

Asus has horrible RMA processes and a high RMA rate.

At some point people do smarten up. The number of people who have personally experience Asus' RAM non-service must be pretty substantial by now.

I might be a rarity ... but in 15+ years I have used Asus exclusively for personal builds and have had zero issues with CS.

I also have used Gigabyte for budget minded customers and family, and have had a equally good experience with them.

Oh, and I have been around long enough to remember when Gigabyte was considered cheap, low quality and had terrible CS.

For some of you youngins that will be hard to believe, but its true.

I have had lots of Asus parts over the years and I have had issues with all the motherboards.
When I build systems for friends or family, I have been using gigabyte parts more and more often.

It's gotta be the customer service. Every forum on the internet is littered with "Asus CS sucks!" threads. Eventually word gets around and people go elsewhere with their wallets. I'm likely to go MSI when I do my refresh in the next few months. Mainly to try something new but also because the horror stories about their CS has made me a little leery.

Gigabyte has awesome boards. I only had to RMA one and it was painless.

Asus on the other hand was a pain (775 days), but I didn't have any issues with my boards after that.

Honestly, I've fortunately had zero problems with easily over a dozen ASUS boards.

Currently have a Rampage IV Formula (X79) and a Maximus VI Formula (Z87).
Using a S775 Rampage Formula for light duty.

I've had several Gigabyte boards as well, no problems there either. Had an X48 that ran forever and still use an old P965 DS3.......:D

I went with a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H-CF on this last upgrade (in august) due to price alone. Wish I had stuck with Asus... Well until recently after trying beta bios after beta bios...

Using F7 to F8b my system would not even run stock without a BSOD randomly. Finally at F8d beta the system got stable. Replaced my i5 to a i7 in the process. Haven't pushed a overclock out of fear the BSOD's will come back :rolleyes:

Before all this I had been using Asus mobo's using Socket 370/478/939/AM2+/AM3+ all had been great for me.

I've always had a soft spot for Gigabyte. My first build was a DFI, and I had a bunch of motherboard problems - stability issues, dead IDE ports, etc. Replaced it 6 months in with a Gigabyte socket 478, never had a problem. Later on when I went to 939 I got a MSI board and had some weird issues with it, traded it for a Biostar which was okay, but when I did my 1155 build, I went back to Gigabyte and I've been very happy with it. My only Gigabyte customer service experience has been with the P67 B3 recall, and I was satisfied with them. They shipped me a replacement board and I had 30 days to swap boards and send the defective one back, with a prepaid shipping label. Features and price being equal, I'd likely choose a Gigabyte board over any other vendor.

I just wished these guys would enable ECC on their AMD boards.

I've always had a soft spot for Gigabyte. My first build was a DFI, and I had a bunch of motherboard problems - stability issues, dead IDE ports, etc. Replaced it 6 months in with a Gigabyte socket 478, never had a problem. Later on when I went to 939 I got a MSI board and had some weird issues with it, traded it for a Biostar which was okay, but when I did my 1155 build, I went back to Gigabyte and I've been very happy with it. My only Gigabyte customer service experience has been with the P67 B3 recall, and I was satisfied with them. They shipped me a replacement board and I had 30 days to swap boards and send the defective one back, with a prepaid shipping label. Features and price being equal, I'd likely choose a Gigabyte board over any other vendor.

My DFI x48 is still rockin and rollin, has to be the longest lasting MB I have ever owned.

My DFI x48 is still rockin and rollin, has to be the longest lasting MB I have ever owned.

My SLR-DR is still going strong, and that is after being clocked to capture second place world record in 2005.

However, DFI had that garbage line, what was it called, "Infinity"? Not so great boards. Trash me today.

I had an OLD DFI board. Before they ever started that "Lanparty" stuff. It was like a SiS 651 chipset cheapo Socket 478 board. Replaced it with a Gigabyte mobo with an Intel 848 chipset and it was chugging along for like 5 more years before I retired it.

I've always had a soft spot for Gigabyte.

I do too and don't really know why! I haven't owned one for a few years now but always look at them first, then get sold on something else by shiny baubles and things I won't use.

They and Abit, rest in peace.

I have to admit all the threads talking about Asus RMA experiences have convinced me to steer clear of them on my next build.

I switched to Gigabyte. All this ROG bull Asus is doing tells me they are going downhill. When customers start buying your stuff because of the 'swag' value the price, customer service, and quality become irrelevant.

I prefer Gigabyte as well. In my opinion their products are very comparable to Asus' (and at a better price point).

I won't go into the whole story, but last summer it took Asus nearly a month (literally) to RMA a RT-N66U router after it was in their hands. The router is great but it left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth regarding their products and customer support.

I do too and don't really know why! I haven't owned one for a few years now but always look at them first, then get sold on something else by shiny baubles and things I won't use.

They and Abit, rest in peace.

I have to admit that another part of me selecting my Gigabyte board over the Asus competitor was that it was much cooler looking - flat black PCB with all black slots and connectors, with occasional blue accents. Brown PCBs are so 2003. Who needed firewire and an Intel NIC (as opposed to Realtek) anyway?

I have to admit that another part of me selecting my Gigabyte board over the Asus competitor was that it was much cooler looking - flat black PCB with all black slots and connectors, with occasional blue accents. Brown PCBs are so 2003. Who needed firewire and an Intel NIC (as opposed to Realtek) anyway?

Anything Realtek is shit. I've had more Gigabyte motherboards die on me (Total of 6) then ASUS (0) so I know what I'm sticking with.

Using a P8Z77-I Deluxe, no malfunctions so far.

My colleague's DirectCu R9 280X had artifacts out of the box, and exchanging it for another unit from the retailer he bought it from still had the same issue. Bad batch perhaps?

With Abit gone which was my board of choice Gigabyte is the only board I'll bother with now.
Built a core2duo for my dad over 5 years ago with my first Gigabyte, EP45-UD3R and it's been solid, not a single issue yet so I went Gigabyte with my latest Haswell build.

Any questions I needed answered from Gigabyte were quickly answered usually within a day.

Does anyone else also prefer Gigabyte due to their lower pricing and (in my opinion) very comparable quality?

Does anyone else also prefer Gigabyte due to their lower pricing and (in my opinion) very comparable quality?

No, that's little money compared to what kind of trouble a mainboard can get you into.

I've just realised my previous PC used a Gigabyte X38-DS4 which I am about to build into a PC for my little sister.
It still works like new over 6 years later.
Solid caps ftw as well.

I am not certain about Gigabyte but, I have 2 Asrock 990FX boards and they are running solidly so far. :D I am glad I ended up not going with the Asus mainboards considering the issues that I have been reading about. (Not saying Asus cannot have something solid but I am pleased that I did not take the risk, I need long term stability and so far, the Extreme 4 and Extreme 9 boards have given me that.)

For me, oddly enough not really because the price differences on boards are usually not major for the same product level. They're usually just the first ones I look at. It's probably just the kind of no-nonsense look a lot of Gigabyte boards have these days. It wasn't that long ago that almost all boards from any manufacturer looked like they were designed by circus clowns with funhouse colors. Bozo the Mobo.

I usually have a price range I'm looking for for any particular machine, i.e. I'm looking for a ~$120 board or a ~$200 board. Rarely do I buy a board over $250 or so since I'm not a bencher - more doesn't bring much to my table. Between a fairly equivalent $170 board and a $200 board I'm just going to buy whichever I like and fits my needs better.

Maybe cuz Andre left Asus
I read a lot of Asus RMA horror stories.But in my experience it's always been stellar. :eek:

I prefer Gigabyte as well. In my opinion their products are very comparable to Asus' (and at a better price point).

I won't go into the whole story, but last summer it took Asus nearly a month (literally) to RMA a RT-N66U router after it was in their hands. The router is great but it left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth regarding their products and customer support.

I had to RMA a motherboard I bought about 4 years ago. When it was about 2 1/2 years old, it developed a problem. Good news: 3 year warranty. Bad news: RMA turnaround was pretty good but the board was DOA when I got it back. I had to do a second RMA, which was good.

To be honest, I have had much worse QC problems with Corsair. However, their RMA process is easy and they have great customer service.

After Abit went away I went to Gigabyte and have had great luck with their boards. All have been great at stock speeds and most have been great overclockers also. Even their cheap little micro atx boards have worked fine for many builds.

Odd.. that is the SAME problem some people have with GIGABYTE Z77 & Z87 boards. I being one of them :mad:

It certainly looks like a similar issue, but on the ASUS board the 4 sticks of memory would run fine at 800 MHz. It looks like in this case people are even having issues running at the standard 1333/1600 MHz settings. Someone did post a fix that looks to work, though. When I was trying to get the ASUS to run the 4 sticks at 1066 MHz I tried all kinds of tweaking to both system clocks, memory clocks and timings, and voltages all to no avail. My current system on the Z87X-UD3H is only using 2 sticks of 8GB running at 1600 MHz, and I don't see the need to add another 16GB any time soon.

I just used my first Gigabyte motherboard ever (UD3P) and i must say, i am now a believer. Flawless and not too expensive for what it gives.

Today I read a news that says that Gigabyte is selling more than Asus.

Quiete a bit strange...

What do you think about that?

Can you post a link to that story. Asus doesn't sell only to enthusiasts, I believe that they also sell to OEMs. Same could be true for Gigabyte. One OEM deal could be worth hundreds of thousands of boards a year.

Back