Guys would this Seasonic PSU be overkill for my system?

emosh73

n00b
SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

Here is the current system for now because I am waiting for IVY-E to come out before I decide on a new CPU and motherboard.

INTEL DH67BLB3, LGA1155, Intelfi H67, DDR3-1333

8 megs Samsung low energy 1600 DDR3 ram

MSI Twin Frozer 7850 2GB Non OC version

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 500GB 7200 RPM SATA

Samsung 840 pro 128 mb SSD

SAMSUNG DVD-RW 22X BLACK SATA

Asus 23 inch PA238q monitor

I will not do SLI and just have one GPU card.

I am planning to overclock the CPU sometime in the near future if I buy Haswell or IVY-E.

I live in an area with power spikes and power cuts on a regular basis. This is VERY IMPORTANT to me to get a SOLID psu to handle our unreliable electricity problem. Yes, I already own a UPS.

So is the PSU overkill for my needs?

Something better or more solid PSU out there for me?

I hope to not spend more than $150.00 but would spend more if need be?

Not overkill. However its pricing is a tad higher than necessary.

Last edited:
its not overkill. its like perfect for your intended set-up and use.
however as mentioned by danny bui. the price is steeeeeeeeeeeeep
i suggest finding one for around 60 dollars. gold is going to be hard to find at 60. but its there. especially cuz u aren't breaking that 750w range, jebus does the price jump from there on, i think if u are patient u'll find one.

i suggest finding one for around 60 dollars. gold is going to be hard to find at 60. but its there. especially cuz u aren't breaking that 750w range, jebus does the price jump from there on, i think if u are patient u'll find one.

Read my edit: I wasn't saying he should get a $60 PSU. I was saying that the X650 Gold is priced a tad too high. The X650 Gold can be found for $100 shipped on many occasions. At its current price of $128 shipped, I'm a bit hesitant to recommend it when the $125 Corsair HX750 is available.

I only stated the higher price because I am concerned about the unreliable electricity where I am at. I cannot afford to get a cheap unreliable PSU considering my situation.

Anyway, I know Seasonic is a good brand.

The psu is frankly large for your system, but not quite overkill on my scale. I'd put you at the 450w range. Since your power is sketchy, look for a PSU with a long Hold Up Time.

I'd get this Seasonic. More than enough for your system, modular and only $79.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

AND it received a Gold Award from [H]. I have a Seasonic x750 (that I got for less than $100 bucks) and love it! But I wouldn't hesitate to get that 550 watt G-series if I had to buy a PSU right now. It is semi-modular though FYI. I do prefer a fully modular PSU, but at that price I can put up with a few cords hanging off the thing. ;)

Oh, and you can get it off Amazon for the same price and free shipping if you have Prime. Dont forget to link from [H] if you can, this sight can always use the link commision.

If your power is unreliable, you should consider getting a UPS, if you don't have one already.

A good power supply is never overkill it is future proofing.

There are some things you do well to overbuy.
Safety harness for rock climbing.
Shoes.
Car batteries.
Tires.
office chairs.
power supply and cases.

The lower the capacity you use on a power supply the more efficient it is and the cooler it runs...

If you're in the US, there is sale on Newegg for XFX PRO550W for $40 AR that will be plenty for your setup. I've got a XFX 650W that I bought in 2009 and it's running strong and cool.

AND it received a Gold Award from [H]. I have a Seasonic x750 (that I got for less than $100 bucks) and love it! But I wouldn't hesitate to get that 550 watt G-series if I had to buy a PSU right now. It is semi-modular though FYI. I do prefer a fully modular PSU, but at that price I can put up with a few cords hanging off the thing. ;)

Oh, and you can get it off Amazon for the same price and free shipping if you have Prime. Dont forget to link from [H] if you can, this sight can always use the link commision.

I just bought that PSU for a client's PC recently(g550) and it was very nice to work with though I didn't really care for the look of the ribbon cables. The only cables that aren't modular are the 20+4 and 4+4 connectors and I can't think of many situations where those wouldn't be used anyways.

The lower the capacity you use on a power supply the more efficient it is and the cooler it runs...

That's only true to a certain point, the efficiency of most PSUs gets much worse when the load gets down to about 20% which is easy to do since most PCs spen a lot of time idle or mostly idle. I think it's a good idea to get a PSU with some overhead so there's room for upgrades and a little leeway for capacitor aging but a 1000+ watt PSU is still overkill for most systems.

There are some things you do well to overbuy.
Safety harness for rock climbing.

For some reason, this cracked me up pretty good. :D

To a point. You get too low a current drawn from a power supply and the efficiency will drop. Around 50% is where ya want to be for best efficiency and cool running.

I just noticed the x650 is on todays Newegg shellshocker list. Not sure how much its going to be because it the price isn't released until 10:00 AM pacific time. Check on it if you have the chance OP. Recently they have run about $90 on sale.

No PSU can handle power spikes, noise, ripple...on a regular basis. Go with that Seasonic and get an online UPS, offline UPS offer almost no protection.

I'd say just go for a decent PSU from Seasonic or Corsair. Basically search around for reviews and find one at a decent price, And then like what David-Duc get a solid online UPS.

you can read about the differences here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply#Technologies

I have this type of UPS but how the heck can I tell if it is offline or online UPS?

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE550R&tab=models

Does APC even make an online model I wonder.

You need a UPS with this:

Boost and Trim Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR)

Lol at the link to the UPS you have - it has a 1 star review.

If you don't have the AVR feature, the UPS won't kick in until your house power goes below 90 volts or so. That means you can swing all over the place between 140 volts and 90 volts and your UPS won't activate.
With AVR, your UPS is working all the time, e.g. "online", to supply a constant 120 volts no matter what. Would be a good idea to look into. I had one when I lived in rural Alaska - power is really flaky there.

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-Back-UPS-Uninterruptible-Supply/dp/B0038ZTZ3W
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP...ini-Tower/dp/B00429N19W/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The psu is frankly large for your system, but not quite overkill on my scale. I'd put you at the 450w range. Since your power is sketchy, look for a PSU with a long Hold Up Time.
Its even less than that.

My 750w PSU died in my current system. I had a spare Corsair CX430 sitting around that I am running it on temporarily till my new one ships. I am also successfully overclocking the CPU and video card while playing games on it. Every calculation I have done says that this PSU is running at near capacity. Also, I have seen people run mini-itx systems with i7's and Titans off those silverstone 450w SFX psu's, so the power needed for OP's setup should be much less.

Getting a PSU in the 600 watt range is a bit much, but isn't overkill. I wouldn't go any higher than that though. The psu will run nowhere its max capacity, but having an extra 200-300 watts isn't necessarily a bad thing especially if he wants to keep it through several future builds.

I think that PS would be a great fit for your system. You will love the stability of the Seasonic.

Back