Guys what CPU cooler for 5930K i will be overclocking

Marcdaddy

2[H]4U
Guys im picking up my new system parts tomorrow and im unsure of what cooling to go with? Im open to water or air, Anything I buy im just wanting to throw it in there without to much worries. I have plenty of room in my case.

For the air side, anything above a noctua NH-D15/NH-D14 will do a good job... NH-D14 as the minimum for good overclock headroom.. for the water side anything above a Corsair H100i will be good in the AiO category... if you want to go a little more above then Cooler master glacer 240L or Swiftech H220X are your boys....

this assuming you have room for a dual 140 rad

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
D14 or custom looped. AIO not worth it IME, not to mention all the unfortunate problems they can come with.

A good loop that can last you into the future and be reused can cost anywhere from 200-350ish. In my opinion a worthy investment considering the benefit gained and the fact that you can reuse this system in future builds.

For instance. I bought a swiftech Apogee GTZ block in 2008. I just converted it over for use in my socket 2011-3 system. it was in an LGA 1366 previously. My pump was about ~$110 (Switech MCP655) STILL going strong since 08. And same goes for the radiator.

I have only replaced fans and bought a new resevoir since I hate my old single bay res. I have had great fun doing it too.

I'd say an AIO is WAY less dangerous than building a custom loop. Especially for a first timer. If the pump dies, the cpu will heat up and thermal shutdown (no damage, just computer turns off).

$200 custom loop would be really spartan I can't imagine it. A decent pump is going to run you at least 85$ You don't want to know how much money people are spending on fittings.

then why no best of two worlds Cooler master glacer 240L or swiftech H220X =D.

I'd say an AIO is WAY less dangerous than building a custom loop. Especially for a first timer. If the pump dies, the cpu will heat up and thermal shutdown (no damage, just computer turns off).
The same is true of an AIO pump dying, a custom loop isn't more dangerous in that aspect.

Okay guys I got a Cooler master glacer 240L ! Now I got to find time to get all this together, Hopefully putting in 3 980 GTXs to replace my 780s if those come out this week. Im pretty sure I will officially take my first sick time from work in 5 years Thursday/Friday hehe.

The same is true of an AIO pump dying, a custom loop isn't more dangerous in that aspect.

but it cost WAY more, replace an AIO its cheap and generally you have pretty good warranties.. in a failure with a Custom Loop you have to pay for any damage you make to your system.

Okay guys I got a Cooler master glacer 240L ! Now I got to find time to get all this together, Hopefully putting in 3 980 GTXs to replace my 780s if those come out this week. Im pretty sure I will officially take my first sick time from work in 5 years Thursday/Friday hehe.

great choice, tell us how you went and report temps =D.. (try it first with your 2600K to see how compare to your air cooler.. that would be great.).

but it cost WAY more, replace an AIO its cheap and generally you have pretty good warranties.. in a failure with a Custom Loop you have to pay for any damage you make to your system.
How is an AIO warranty any different than a pump warranty? Again, custom versus AIO isn't any different in this area.

Agreed, anybody who is venturing into custom looped must understand the caution needed to be taken, custom pumps are not expensive and usually half of what an AIO like the H100i costs. Needless to say at my previous work, I've had customers come in with there computers complain about "there overclock failing" despite being stable for months, computers bsod'ing or hanging and even turning off. All cases with AIO using Corsair H series models.

I knew the problem (and was right) before even opening the systems and knowing it had an AIO when the customers told me so. Failed pump. IME AIO pumps usually die within 6 months or after warranty period.

When the fan on your HSF dies, the heatsink is still able to radiate heat away from the CPU just not providing optimal temperatures. When the pump of an AIO dies, not only does the whole unit need to be replaced and is not serviceable by the user, the CPU block becomes a heat magnet and in no way of dispersing that build up of heat. At least with customs, everything is modular from the block to the tubes to the pump so as long as you don't get a leak, you can safely and easily replace the pump with no dramas.

I'd still go a NH-D14 or 15 over a AIO myself, but maybe that's me.

If water I'd do a custom loop myself these days.

But I guess I'm late to post anyways.

The only downside to big coolers like my D14 or the D15 is that it prevents easier access to RAM and block HP ram modules from being used. And accumulation of dust. AIO look clean and all heat from the CPU is outside from the exhaust position of the radiator/pump so no circulating warm airflow inside.

Depends on what cases and mobos you stick them in as far as blockage I guess.

But you can put the in and run for many years without having to worry about it in some instances I guess with good cooling.

ajJnwVI.jpg

Yep, it gets a bit dusty now and again.

*edit* it's in a Antec 1200, so there is a large fan above it vertically.

Last edited:
Is that a 1200 case? You'd get better cooling through conventional push pull config if the heatsink was horizontal.

And a heatsink position like that is impossible for my 2011 system.

Works well here, I'm not about to tear it up.

Still been too lazy to tear apart my HTPC in the bedroom and take out the 920 and replace it with the L5639 these days :)

Seems to cool the X5650 fine as is.

The big one top the only standard one these days anyways, even the drive bays have older Artic Cooler 120 PWMs daisy chained in the front.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm getting lazy too with pulling my build apart as well. Got my old RMA'd set of Mushkin 32GB ram sitting in it's USPS package still and haven't bothered testing them and replacing my current 6gb heap o shit.

Getting tired with this hobby (building and customising PC's).

How is an AIO warranty any different than a pump warranty? Again, custom versus AIO isn't any different in this area.

I was referring to the whole cost to make a fully custom water loop not the pump alone...

Agreed, anybody who is venturing into custom looped must understand the caution needed to be taken, custom pumps are not expensive and usually half of what an AIO like the H100i costs. Needless to say at my previous work, I've had customers come in with there computers complain about "there overclock failing" despite being stable for months, computers bsod'ing or hanging and even turning off. All cases with AIO using Corsair H series models.

At least with customs, everything is modular from the block to the tubes to the pump so as long as you don't get a leak, you can safely and easily replace the pump with no dramas.

The big problem with customs, are you have to do regular maintenance (its recommended to check the status every 6 months)... you have to check for leakage constantly, status of the Hoses (if using Normal acrylic), status of the water.. etc.. I have a machine with a fully customized loop with 2xGPU, CPU, Mobo and RAM.. and its really a PITA to drain all the system every time and then have to fill it and be sure it have no leaks...

man you know thats a horrible configuration for a big cooler right?.. the bottom tower will be always warm due to be close to the GPU and it will pull ALL the heat produced by your GPU under loads reducing considerably the cooling performance..

Back