Guys let's support AMD gpu, and boycott Nvidia, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI

How would I boycott nvidia for amd? I wanted to buy a Vega 56 last year but amd doesn't apparently actually make Vega chips so I've never been able to actually buy one. So how exactly can o boycott nvidia? Just buy nothing? I mean I am doing that anyway because if the ridiculously inflated prices.

It's GPUs are not food. Luxury items to many of us.
Will buy the best card for my money from Nvidia, AMD, Intel etc.

Don't care.

Ahh wccftech, that explains everything. You do realize this will probably end up like modern warfare 2 boycott right?

Yeah it explains that 81 percent of a predominatly nvidia troll site support sending a fuck you message to nvidia.

Yeah it explains that 81 percent of a predominatly nvidia troll site support sending a fuck you message to nvidia.

We shall see how many of them hold true to their guns. Honestly right now they should sell/trash their Nvidia card and go buy a Vega.

However like most they will fall off the bandwagon and buy the next card. I’ve seen it to many times in games and hardware.

The most recent one that comes to mind is Battlefront 2, 90% of those that were boycotting it still bought on release. Hell only 2 guys I work with out of 40 or so actually never played it.

We shall see how many of them hold true to their guns. Honestly right now they should sell/trash their Nvidia card and go buy a Vega.

However like most they will fall off the bandwagon and buy the next card. I’ve seen it to many times in games and hardware.

The most recent one that comes to mind is Battlefront 2, 90% of those that were boycotting it still bought on release. Hell only 2 guys I work with out of 40 or so actually never played it.

This isn't feasible at all.

If AMD's next flagship Vega beats Nvidia's next flagship GeForce, then I'll buy AMD's card.

Well... They'll need to actually produce some for you to be able to even do that.
Neither of these things will happen. AMD is stuck in the midrange for at least the next release. Their high end stuff will be neither good nor available.
Navi tech will be good shit, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a generation late.

This isn't feasible at all.

Sure it is, if people want to boycott something, then do it. Don't half ass it, which is what I expect most people to do.

Hell there are a few Vega 56s for sale where I live right now, they are only 93,000 yen? While the 1080, 1070ti, 1070 are 82,000 yen and lower. Seems like a great buy to me!

If AMD's next flagship Vega beats Nvidia's next flagship GeForce, then I'll buy AMD's card.

I would expect this from anyone who is hardware agnostic and looking for either the best bang for their buck or the highest performing card. When I do my next upgrade if its Team Red I'll buy it, if its not then I wont.

I don't have to boycott something or be told to do so - just give me the facts. Also innocent until proven guilty to me also applies. AMD claimed a number of things for Vega, primitive shader etc. - that did not pan out well or was just plain misleading -> I guess we need to boycott them as well. Anyways the Redditt boycott call is stupid in my eyes.

As for performance: 1080Ti (own 2) vs Vega ( I have 2 Vega FE's and 1 Vega 64LC)
  • Game performance -> Nvidia thrashes AMD, period! In most games but not all
  • Mining -> In CryptoNight, Ethereum (#2 to Bitcoin in market share and GPU minable), NeoScrypt , money making coins -> AMD thrashes Nvidia. Nvidia does have some coins they do better in but I make more money with the AMD cards than Nvidia cards
So maybe Nvidia is the gaming card and AMD cards are the mining cards. While both can do both relatively well. Also for GPU compute workloads I would give the edge to AMD as well.

So depending upon what one does, either one could be a better product to buy then the other or like me both Nvidia and AMD in multiple systems does everything the best you can do it :D

I am a hard core AMD fan, but their prices need to be in line with the performance. Now that I am in VR, its pretty hard for me to want to switch back. If vega 56 were available again at $379 then id give them a shot.

true.

however if nvidia keeps it up theyll be the ONLY one to provide GPUs. there are multiple car manufacturers, lots of food, stores, underwear makers.
there are only two serious GPU companies.... for now.

then you absolutely wont have a "buy one get one free"

more like $1500 GTX 1060.

And who's fault is that? AMD. They dropped the freaking ball multiple times and still drops the ball. When nVidia stumbles with one generation, the next one they hit it out of the park. AMD dropped the ball for the Fury's, 480s then came out with the 580s and then the Vega 56 and 64.

Sure it is, if people want to boycott something, then do it. Don't half ass it, which is what I expect most people to do.

Hell there are a few Vega 56s for sale where I live right now, they are only 93,000 yen? While the 1080, 1070ti, 1070 are 82,000 yen and lower. Seems like a great buy to me!

I would expect this from anyone who is hardware agnostic and looking for either the best bang for their buck or the highest performing card. When I do my next upgrade if its Team Red I'll buy it, if its not then I wont.

No it really isn't, do you own vr? nVidia. Do you have a 4k monitor/tv? nVidia.
AMD can't compete in the high end, so it isn't feasible to boycott nVidia, unless I also want thousands of dollars in equipment run at suboptimal levels.

Also agnostic? Is this a religion??

I would happily, if there were deep learning frameworks that ran well on AMD cards.

As it is, NVIDIA has that market cornered. AFAIK there is no OpenCL alternative to Tensorflow that matches on performance and community adoption.

No it really isn't, do you own vr? nVidia. Do you have a 4k monitor/tv? nVidia.
AMD can't compete in the high end, so it isn't feasible to boycott nVidia, unless I also want thousands of dollars in equipment run at suboptimal levels.

Also agnostic? Is this a religion??

Own VR, yes.
Play on 4k, yes.

I am sure Vega can do these things, but again my issue is. If someone really wanted to stand up for what they believed in then they would understand why they couldn't enjoy these things.

Maybe wrong wording used, but if you read across the internet enough then yes hardware is a religion to some.

Last edited:

Seems like Nvidia unethical business practices have started.

If you are buying hardware please consider buying an AMD video card or CPU. If we let Nvidia win with such practices and they dominate more of the GPU market a monopoly will not help us consumers as we will later pay more for products, nor will there be innovation if we allow this to happen. I hope word spreads.

Buy what's best for your wallet or if you buy nvidia choose an oem that has joined this sht program.

Thanks

It is hard to support AMD gpus , I have a Vega 56 with custom cooling, when AMD doesn't give a damn about end users only the miners who are gobbling up 80% of their mid to high end gpus. You really think a Vega 56 is worth $799 to $849 and a Vega 64 is worth $899 to $999 or more???? Not a chance in hell for gamers or end users. I am not willing to give AMD any support on the gpu end until they do something tangible to give us the best shot at obtaining these cards at something close to msrp. You go ahead and be the fool. Not me. They have lost my good will. I still buy their cpus until they f--K up my goodwill on that front.

Own VR, yes.
Play on 4k, yes.

I am sure Vega can do these things, but again my issue is. If someone really wanted to stand up for what they believed in then they would understand why they couldn't enjoy these things.

Maybe wrong wording used, but if you read across the internet enough then yes hardware is a religion to some.

Suboptimal performance, reading is key.

I am a member of the nvidia church for salvation of gaming and the fight over miners to the end of days. :D:D

Suboptimal performance, reading is key.

Sigh... Right back at you.

Thread title + referenced post = Screw Nvidia/GPP partners and support AMD by voting with our wallets. Nvidia shouldn't go unpunished...

My whole stance is very few people will stick with their guns and stay AMD, even if it means "Sub optimal" performance, to boycott Nvidia. Most are going to shit talk Nvidia but will buy their products, hypocrites.

I'm out.

Thread title + referenced post = Screw Nvidia/GPP partners and support AMD by voting with our wallets. Nvidia shouldn't go unpunished...

My whole stance is very few people will stick with their guns and stay AMD, even if it means "Sub optimal" performance, to boycott Nvidia. Most are going to shit talk Nvidia but will buy their products, hypocrites.

I'm out.
If only whining on the internet could put faster GPUs in our rigs... sigh...

I'm out.

So it is a religion to you.

No hypocrisy, and buying a product does not make one unable to talk shit about it. It is more important that I get the experience I want out of my equipment than which team has it's panties in a bunch. This is the real problem with GPP, AMD has nothing to compete with in the halo arena, their best card is almost equal to the top of nVidia's mid range (or is it bottom of high, I can never remember).

Don't let the door hit you.

I bought an Xp day one because it's what I wanted - a full, uncut GP102 chip. It'll be a year in a little over a week from now, no ragrets, no answer from AMD (and no real gaming answer from Nvidia - I don't really think the Titan V is a gaming card)

OG2hHwW.jpg

I bought an Xp day one because it's what I wanted - a full, uncut GP102 chip. It'll be a year in a little over a week from now, no ragrets, no answer from AMD (and no real gaming answer from Nvidia - I don't really think the Titan V is a gaming card)

View attachment 62457

Like the post, but absolutely think the sKid Rock wannabe should have some regrets.

How about this..

I’ll boycott Nvidia if AMD comes out and requires all major retailers to sell their cards at or below the MSRP. They can toss in “one per month per household” for good measure since they care so much for the gaming community.

Let’s get real, neither company cares about you or a boycott. They are out to make the most money in the most effecient way possible.

Well, I do not buy NVidia for my personal builds anyways, so I am already there. :)

I’ll just keep buying EVGA cards like I have been for 12+ years. Maybe AMD can change that if they ever decide to get real.

How about this..

I’ll boycott Nvidia if AMD comes out and requires all major retailers to sell their cards at or below the MSRP. They can toss in “one per month per household” for good measure since they care so much for the gaming community.

Let’s get real, neither company cares about you or a boycott. They are out to make the most money in the most effecient way possible.

That ain't gonna happen ever... AMD enjoy the mining just look at the latest driver release,they fix *lower than expected blockchain performance* so yes they care about mining and they optimize for it, because due mining they keep selling their cards.

How about this..

And how do you expect AMD to enforce this 'one per month per household' policy? You really want something as stupid as requiring people to register their government issued ID's when purchasing a GPU and for AMD to have a database of said ID's versus GPU purchases? I'm sure that'll go over well.

I have no problem with making money the most efficient way as possible (for AMD it is the crypto miners keeping prices high; for Nvidia it's milking Pascal). The problem comes when you're doing it in a way that purposefully hampers the competition.

And how do you expect AMD to enforce this 'one per month per household' policy? You really want something as stupid as requiring people to register their government issued ID's when purchasing a GPU and for AMD to have a database of said ID's versus GPU purchases? I'm sure that'll go over well.

I have no problem with making money the most efficient way as possible (for AMD it is the crypto miners keeping prices high; for Nvidia it's milking Pascal). The problem comes when you're doing it in a way that purposefully hampers the competition.
Hahaha... "competition."

The RX570-580 is a great card at a great price in the mainstream segment that compete very well against GTX 1060. But what really hurt in the gamer eyes is when mining start buying RX570-580 in bunches around June 2017, which pushes the pricing well above GTX1060, while this is great for AMD bottom line, it left gamers with no choice but to buy GTX 1060 as it was the cheaper option even though GTX 1060 did see a price increase but not to the extent of RX570-580, of course this is not the case now as everything is ridiculous overprice.

You know what cheesed me off about Nvidia back in 2014? They wouldn't lower the prices on their 700 cards, especially the 760/770s because well, they didn't need to. They were the only market in town since everyone wanted AMD for mining during that bubble. This all while they're talking up the upcoming maxwell cards. Buy that 760, already not worth the price/perf despite that it will be obsolete in 3-6 months. Then the mining bubble popped and 290/290x's were cheap with free games. I only bought a 970 because it came with free games in mid 2015.

View attachment 62457

I think Vega here feels the same way last I read. Not even good for mining apparently. That said, I bet once the Volta architecture goes mainstream, the Titan V will necessarily gain performance. ALOT for gaming. It simply hasn't been 'looked at' by the main driver team, I believe.

But,. my BASIC understanding of nvidia so far to date, is that they VERY ACCURATELY price the high-end/crazy parts, never felt swindled by a Titan, gotta say. So I reckon nvidia see that the Titan V IS worth £3K, at present, and it won't get beaten in the mainstream in 2018. The GDDR6 controller variant is anyone's guess surely....

Made for mining, who wouldn't right now?

Hahaha... "competition."

What's so funny?

Before the mining craze, the 470 offered similar performance to the 3GB 1060/4GB 1050Ti at a lower price ($120 for 4GB was not uncommon). The 480 8GB offered similar performance to the GTX 1060 at a lower price. I bought a RX 480 4GB (MSI Gaming X) for $165.

For a very short time period, Vega 56 was around $400 (slightly better than GTX 1070 in performance). The Vega 64 could be gotten as low as $465 and offered similar performance to the GTX 1080.

It was a sarcastic rhetorical question. The thread was started like AMD was this ethical company run by the good guys. If anything, we shouldn’t be boycotting one company, we need to be saying “fuck the industry as a whole”.

Last edited:
What's so funny?

Before the mining craze, the 470 offered similar performance to the 3GB 1060/4GB 1050Ti at a lower price ($120 for 4GB was not uncommon). The 480 8GB offered similar performance to the GTX 1060 at a lower price. I bought a RX 480 4GB (MSI Gaming X) for $165.

For a very short time period, Vega 56 was around $400 (slightly better than GTX 1070 in performance). The Vega 64 could be gotten as low as $465 and offered similar performance to the GTX 1080.
That's fine and dandy, but I'm in the 1440p 144hz market. AMD has got nothing for me.

Sorry, my money goes to whatever I deem to be worthy of it based on the quality of the product or service.

Have fun with your boycott.

Says the people griping about Nvidia not releasing new cards.

Back