Guys is it practical to buy a 5930K now or wait?

Marcdaddy

2[H]4U
Guys with a 5930K being $399 at Microcenter I think its time to jump in, Im replacing a 2600K @ 4800 Mhz which im moving to a dedicated Flight Sim setup. Or does Intel have anything worthwhile in the pipeline? Ill be gaming with a Tri Sli 980- Gtx setup and a Rog Swift 27 in Gsync, Moving to a 34 Inch Gsync,

X99/5930k with the 40 lanes of PCIE is the way to go for your setup.

The next cpus for X99 aren't due until mid 2016.

I'm not at liberty to discuss this....(hold that thought for another week ;)

Hmmmmm, wait until next week? Some news com9ng? $399 seems like a steal, I'm actually sitting in a parking lot typing this looking at the Microcenter across from me ( Westmont, IL ) 6930K is going to have the same amount of Pci lanes?????

LOL, No I moved on. I travel about 140 miles a day in my car for work and drive by a Microcenter, Frys and Tiger Direct 5 days a week and its hard not to just buy random stuff daily. Im home now looking to find any credible evidence when the 6930K will be out, not finding much but if those CPUs will fit in these X99 mobos I guess im going to just do a new build.

From what I've seen, Broadwell-E "will be compatible with current generation X99 motherboards that feature the LGA 2011-v3 socket." (Citing reference)

I've been tossing around the idea too, but might wait for more data. Those prices on the 5820K and 5930K at Microcenter are pretty tempting though... I'm not even sure which mobo I'd go with though. Would need more research.

I love Asus or Gigabyte, those have never let me down. I was looking at around $1000 to $1100 for CPU/Cooling/Mobo/Memory, I think im gonna go tomorrow and see what kid of deal I can get. I really don't like the memory selection at my local store so I might hit up Frys or Tiger.

If Broadwell E is compatible I'd definitely do it. I'd want the extra PCIe lanes for tri-SLI.

Buy the 5930K, but don't open it. That way at least you're not SOL if the price goes back up. Wait next week and see what the 69xx chips bring. If the price difference is minimal, return the 5930K.

Any word on what's replacing X99?

The new 6th gen processor is going to work on x99. So we'll probably see the successor to x99 a generation after. 5930k is a great chip but like that one guy said, wait until next week to see if the price is minimal. However, I doubt it since MC only marks down processor pricing a little bit after launch.

Ok I went to Microcenter to buy a 5930K and they are all sold out!! The guy told me that they will be running crazy CPU/MOBO/Ram deals once the 6900s launch. So maybe it was good that they were OOS today.

I just replaced a 5820k with a 5930k from microcenter and it was very worth it to me. now i have the needed lanes for my m.2 drive, and this 5930 OC's FAR FAR FAR better then the 5820. If i was the OP, id buy the 5930 and upgrade to the new cpu once they come out if you wanted to. Both CPUs will take the same X99 based motherboards anyways.. Also, broadwell wont bring too much to the table as far as IPC is concerned and prob wont OC as well either.....

Is it confirmed that the new x99 processors will be Broadwell and not Skylake?

Skylake-E is scheduled for 2017 with a whole new platform that will not be compatible with X99.

Ok I went to Microcenter to buy a 5930K and they are all sold out!! The guy told me that they will be running crazy CPU/MOBO/Ram deals once the 6900s launch. So maybe it was good that they were OOS today.

when!

Yeah I live close to 3 Microcenters and all of them are out of 5930k. At one point each had 10+ in stock but they sold out once they dropped the price to $399.99.

Kinda shows you how much life is still in the x99 platform.

I thought it was going to be a release announcement for Broadwell-E being early by a few months. But in the last couple of weeks we had a rumor that Broadwell-E would arrive in June instead of March / April.

Were you actually expecting anything? Because I doubt anyone else here was.

no, but reading the first page of this thread some people were. I thought people stopped saying the old "my dad is the CEO of nintendo" crap

I actually was, Im kind of glad it was OOS when I went there because I found out that my 2600K with 2 980Gtxs in SLI is still way more then capable in driving my new Predator X34 moniter :) So im back to waiting until 2017.

I just replaced a 5820k with a 5930k from microcenter and it was very worth it to me. now i have the needed lanes for my m.2 drive, and this 5930 OC's FAR FAR FAR better then the 5820. If i was the OP, id buy the 5930 and upgrade to the new cpu once they come out if you wanted to. Both CPUs will take the same X99 based motherboards anyways.. Also, broadwell wont bring too much to the table as far as IPC is concerned and prob wont OC as well either.....

Lucky. I've often seen 5930Ks requiring more voltage than 5820Ks for the same speed (I was unlucky with 4.5 5930K @ 1.335v). Sounds like you had a really bad 5820K :(

Back