Guys...I think my Games M.2 SSD just died!

RareAir23

Limp Gawd
Gentlemen, something in my PC just went beeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww. I installed 2 WD Black SN750 M.2 SSD's in my new build last month. 1 500GB and 1 1TB. The 500GB was the OS drive (still works and Western Digital's monitor reads it as in Nominal condition with 100% life remaining). The 1 TB drive was my Games drive and it...farted and just died 15-20 minutes ago! Out of nowhere (like a Randy Orton RKO in WWE)! Western Digital's monitoring software no longer detects it. Neither does the system. Already ordered a replacement 1TB drive (arriving Wednesday) so I'll be okay but I didn't expect this to happen to the 1TB after 1 month. Me sad. Out!

Bathtub curve of new electronics... nothing new! At least it's your games drive and nothing more important.

Indeed. A wise tech man told me something a long time ago about new hardware that has stuck with me since: "New hardware for a machine is likely to die within the first 30 days of installing after purchase or it'll die in the last 30 days before its warranty expires." Out!

So wanted to provide an update on my M.2 SSD that I thought died last night: I revived it. How I did it was to just reseat the drive in the M.2 slot with the system completely powered down and then fire up the machine again. Drive restored itself and all is back to normal again. Drive had 100% life left so I'm not sure the reason it possibly died. How it came to its dying was all applications started to auto-unload themselves from Windows with the message, "This app cannot be run on this PC". Then Steam, Origin, UPlay and GOG Galaxy 2.0 started to become unresponsive. Then I closed and attempted to re-load them and they acted like they weren't even on the machine. I ran the Western Digital SSD Monitor Dashboard and the drive disappeared from that and Windows simultaneously. Weird, huh? Well, glad I brought the drive back and until next time I am out!

It sounds like the drive didn't seat properly when installed and eventually worked out far enough that it wasn't making good contact anymore. That would explain why reseating it worked.

Back