Guy Travels through China to Build His Own iPhone for $300

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This seems like a lot of effort just to escape the Apple Tax, but it turns out that you can build your own iPhone by traveling the markets in Shenzhen, China. He claims that the finished iPhone 6S, which is fully functional and comes complete with a working Touch ID Home button, only cost around $300 in parts, although the tools and components he didn’t use brings the cost up to over $1K.

“I’ve been fascinated by the cell phone parts markets in Shenzhen, China for a while,” Allen said. “So when someone mentioned they wondered if you could build a working smartphone from parts in the markets, I jumped at the chance to really dive in and understand how everything works.” According to his own estimates, while he ended up spending “well over” $1,000 for tools and components he eventually never put to use, he claims the actual parts he used to build the iPhone cost “around” $300 in total.

I think it would be a fun learning experience for those not familiar with Chinese markets and contract manufacturers. pretty much everything can be made by gray market parts

Watched the video last night, it took him like 6 trips and several months to make this.

STILL cool thou

Without a pick and place machine, I wouldn't even attempt to create my own cell phone pcb. I can do it under a microscope, but the frustration and cussing isn't worth it. Also since I have a pick 'n place and reflow oven, I will never go back to doing in manually unless it is something really simple. Stil, l this is pretty cool and a good project to give you an understanding of what goes into modern electronics.

I've thought about doing this as well through Ebay, but the problem is always the logic board. If you can find a logic board that isn't locked by Apple, they sell for a fortune. It's hard to find a cheap logic board with a clean IMEI or Apple ID. Plenty of working logic boards, just cock blocked.

Apple only paid $211.50 for the scraps they used to make a 6s. I guess that's the benefit of buying scrap in bulk.

why would this guy think he could assemble a logic board from scratch lol

why would this guy think he could assemble a logic board from scratch lol

Actually not that bad really. Hobbyist pick n place machines aren't bad in price (or you can use tweezers or vacuum nozzle). I have sat there before placing hundreds of smt components for boards by hand, and can reflow with a modified toaster oven. Not my first choice, but if you are trying to hit lowest cost and your labor is free, then I would populate it myself.

I think the bigger story here is the fact that this guy managed to get touch ID working with random non-apple-approved parts, something that is supposedly impossible to do.

Here is where I decide to be a dick and poo poo what this guy did. He spent around $300 and a massive amount of time. I can go to Ebay right now (I checked) and purchase 2 broken iphones, one with a smashed screen but good internals, one with a perfect screen but locked internals and assemble these into a working iPhone. It would end up costing me around $300 and take a fraction of the time. I mean I'm impressed that he decided to piece mail it in china, but it isn't like building an iPhone is particularly difficult.

I love this video. Best part was how many people got upset that someone did something for an educational purpose that fails to affect them in any negative way.

Everyone shit talking what this guy did is so dumb. If the video is monetized, he also has 2 million + views on a 20+ minute long video and tons of traffic to a new Youtube channel, and lots of blog/internet news attention.

Back