Guy Documents Nearly a Year of Quality Problems with His Tesla Model S

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A Tesla owner named Tyler Martin recently uploaded a 25-minute video to YouTube chronicling every issue he’s had with his 2016 Tesla Model S. Among the issues he mentions are paint imperfections, a dusty touch screen, and poor trim alignment on the door—these were what he found on the day the car was delivered. By the time he took his car to a service center, his electric driver-side mirror would only unfold partially.

my prius c has similar issues.. in fact i havnt seen a toyota yet that doesnt have the trim around the door (rubber) not stay on... since the 1980s lol.

I had the opportunity to hands on a model x a few weeks ago. The tailgate fit was so bad everyone thought it wasn't closed, like I could stick a finger in the gap on the right side and the left was almost touching the bodyside.

Some of the first complaints are pretty petty, and would clean up with his own efforts. Most of his complaints are valid, though. I wouldn't accept a Chevy with problems like this.

my prius c has similar issues.. in fact i havnt seen a toyota yet that doesnt have the trim around the door (rubber) not stay on... since the 1980s lol.

Really? My 2003 Toyota Echo is just fine, even my old crusty I forget the year Tercel was good.
My buddy's older Buick on the other hand was like a rubber noose dropping on his head every time he would get out, lol.

This nothing new. I heard a lot of owner complaining about qc issue with Tesla cars.

Honestly some of the items reminds me of that old movie Gung Ho with Michael Keaton. -- :D Shall we send the movie to Tesla?

A dusty screen? Seriously?
When the vehicle is being delivered as new, personally I'd expect it to be spotless. He mentions in the video that he cleaned that up at home, but again... when getting a new $80k+ car I'd expect better than that. It's not even actually on his list of issues.

Side mirror that didn't unfold correctly, door trim never lined up right, door having odd delay when opening, strange panel rattle, creaking doors on an $80k car, steering wheel not centered with wheels, windshield scratches, etc. within the first couple of weeks

That's pretty crappy.

When the vehicle is being delivered as new, personally I'd expect it to be spotless. He mentions in the video that he cleaned that up at home, but again... when getting a new $80k+ car I'd expect better than that.

To me thats kind of petty even at that price point. Dust happens. They could've done a superb job cleaning it at the factory and the dealer even and in a few hours between them finishing it up and telling him it was ready it could easily be dusty again.

Yeah, but the standards are higher for an 80,000 car.

No you only think they are higher. With higher end cars, you are paying for advanced features, size, performance, and interior quality, along with the name.

A lexus is just a rebadged toyota and most of the system components are the same.

I can tell you with GM and Ford their panel alignment tolerance) is between 1 and 2 mm. If they have a problem getting a panel fitted, they take that panel to a master dummy model which sits on the assembly line and see if the panel fits there. If it doesn't, it's the panel's fault. If it does, then the car was bad. They don't do this while the car is going down the line as it would tie up production. (Unless they get a couple in a row that are causing problems) They put a "Exception sticker" on the windshield noting the problem, and then push the car down the line. They fix it once it comes off the assembly line.

If it's outside spec you can get it adjusted. That said, sometimes cars settle after they get off the assembly line and it will cause an alignment of something like a rear lift gate/trunk to be off more than that. But it's usually a simple adjustment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
LOL, that was just from his first service after a couple weeks. 2nd service, windshield replacement still defective, rattles getting worse.

Service 3 still in April 2nd windshield verified defective needed to wait on third, trim still not lined up after door panel re-attached, rattle still not gone, chrome trim still not lined up after fixed again(within "spec" still off by a quarter inch where the trim meets).

Service 4 in May, third windshield finally fixed it, detached door panel issue resolved, door panel rattle still there, forgot to re-attach rearview mirror trim panel, noticed that service records aren't including all complaints and issues worked on...

side folding mirror issue came back, service #5 HVAC fan squeaks in hot weather, charge port cover not opening, weird video artifact on touch screen running entire height of the screen, another service appointment later screen finally replaced on service #6 replacement screen given to another customer then replacement sent to wrong address, finally performed full alignment and wheel still crooked, fixed some rattles, some rattles ignored, HVAC fan not fixed and complaint left off service invoice, left panel gap on dashboard after reassembling dash...

and he's putting together a list for service #7 that he's waiting for the annual service. For as much as that car costs, to run into that list of crap in a year... wow.

LOL, that was just from his first service after a couple weeks. 2nd service, windshield replacement still defective, rattles getting worse.

Service 3 still in April 2nd windshield verified defective needed to wait on third, trim still not lined up after door panel re-attached, rattle still not gone, chrome trim still not lined up after fixed again(within "spec" still off by a quarter inch where the trim meets).

Service 4 in May, third windshield finally fixed it, detached door panel issue resolved, door panel rattle still there, forgot to re-attach rearview mirror trim panel, noticed that service records aren't including all complaints and issues worked on...

side folding mirror issue came back, service #5 HVAC fan squeaks in hot weather, charge port cover not opening, weird video artifact on touch screen running entire height of the screen, another service appointment later screen finally replaced on service #6 replacement screen given to another customer then replacement sent to wrong address, finally performed full alignment and wheel still crooked, fixed some rattles, some rattles ignored, HVAC fan not fixed and complaint left off service invoice, left panel gap on dashboard after reassembling dash...

and he's putting together a list for service #7 that he's waiting for the annual service. For as much as that car costs, to run into that list of crap in a year... wow.

If the pinion gear yoke on the wheel is bent or out of alignment, then no amount of wheel alignment will fix it. You need to take the steering wheel off and physically reset it's "Centered" position. It still might not be perfect either.

Tesla is not really a car company... they are more of a... unicorn of so-called green/eco friendly, save the planet, tree hugging, promise the world but do not deliver...snake oil salesmen, green energy!... just rolls of the tongue... like the subsidies that roll out of tax payers pockets and into their coffers.... but its green... and you feel so good for doing your part, go on you! People will put up with almost anything from Tesla.... like a cult of sorts. Like wind power... sounds great till its not windy. Oh well... I'm sure all those pre-orders of the Model-3 will get there deposits back.... unicorns and rainbows...to everyone!

This guy sounds like your typical millennial snowflake, expecting everything picture perfect according to his world, and one speck of dust on the screen? OMG SAFE SPACE SAFE SPACE!!!

Shit, my $19k Kia Soul needs a good vacuum and dusting, and a good car wash, but I'll get to that in due time. It's things I can handle and control.
Try actually watching the video, it's not a 20 minute complaint about dust on the screen, it's a half dozen service appointments for repeated issues.

Tesla is not really a car company... they are more of a... unicorn of so-called green/eco friendly, save the planet, tree hugging, promise the world but do not deliver...snake oil salesmen, green energy!... just rolls of the tongue... like the subsidies that roll out of tax payers pockets and into their coffers.... but its green... and you feel so good for doing your part, go on you! People will put up with almost anything from Tesla.... like a cult of sorts. Like wind power... sounds great till its not windy. Oh well... I'm sure all those pre-orders of the Model-3 will get there deposits back.... unicorns and rainbows...to everyone!

Spoken like someone who has no idea wtf they are talking about, written using Trump-grade english..... Maybe you should drive in one before opening your mouth, because they are actually amazing cars. But they are *gasp* assembled by people, who can make mistakes, just like any other car manufacturer.

And no they are not trying to save the world, they are designing/building the next generation of cars. Guess what all other car manufactures are doing now as well? Go check their road maps, almost all of them are phasing out gas cars for all electric, and some countries are event putting laws in place to enforce this.

And finally, the wind comment was the most stupid part of your post.... Wind turbines are far more efficient than solar, and they don't just scatter them randomly hoping for wind. They are set up in areas that consistently get high winds (off the coast, desert areas etc). It's as if there was planning done by intelligent engineers......

Try actually watching the video, it's not a 20 minute complaint about dust on the screen, it's a half dozen service appointments for repeated issues.

All of which, in the larger context, are actually pretty minor items. Its not like they arent fixing them.

Also you are treating tihs like its a systemic problem when all we have is one person bitching. One data point does not make a trend.

Spoken like someone who has no idea wtf they are talking about, written using Trump-grade english..... Maybe you should drive in one before opening your mouth, because they are actually amazing cars. But they are *gasp* assembled by people, who can make mistakes, just like any other car manufacturer.

And no they are not trying to save the world, they are designing/building the next generation of cars. Guess what all other car manufactures are doing now as well? Go check their road maps, almost all of them are phasing out gas cars for all electric, and some countries are event putting laws in place to enforce this.

And finally, the wind comment was the most stupid part of your post.... Wind turbines are far more efficient than solar, and they don't just scatter them randomly hoping for wind. They are set up in areas that consistently get high winds (off the coast, desert areas etc). It's as if there was planning done by intelligent engineers......

Happy Halloween! ... Are you going as a Unicorn or a Wind turbine? :) ... just magical

The Tesla of Theseus.

All of which, in the larger context, are actually pretty minor items. Its not like they arent fixing them.

Also you are treating tihs like its a systemic problem when all we have is one person bitching. One data point does not make a trend.
I didn't say it was a trend, and in the larger context that many issues for a new car does add up to it being junk. If you watch the video, they are not fixing everything and have actually not bothered to document some of the reported issues for the service records of the car, that's a service center issue not a factory issue, but it's still not something I would consider to be acceptable.

Well. They are the first car company to build something new in scale since John Delorean tried and failed in the 1980s and Tucker tried and failed in the 50's.

Some of this stuff is to be expected, considering even mature manufacturers have teething issues on new models.

That being said, it is pretty disconcerting that the 2016 model still suffers these kind of problems woith - what - almost 100k cars produced at this point?

I mean, I guess it could be a lemon.

Yeah, but the standards are higher for an 80,000 car.

You'd think, but you would be wrong.

Higher end more expensive models tend to be more exclusive and thus have lower runs.

Lower run production almost always has worse overall quality than higher run production.

That's why if you want quality, you buy a Toyota, not an Aston Martin.

That being said, the business model of low run expensive cars usually depends on making up for that lower quality by having impeccable service when the problems occur. I have no idea how Tesla is doing in that regard.

I feel like Tesla probably takes care of their owners. That is, at least until the warranty runs out. I wouldn't want to own one out of warranty.

A creaky door? And in the demonstration it was a common door noise! Dude.....I realize the car is 80 grand, but some of these complaints are insane.

Reactions: kju1
like this
I didn't say it was a trend, and in the larger context that many issues for a new car does add up to it being junk. If you watch the video, they are not fixing everything and have actually not bothered to document some of the reported issues for the service records of the car, that's a service center issue not a factory issue, but it's still not something I would consider to be acceptable.

No, that at most makes the car a lemon. That's why they passed the lemon law in ~1984, because so many Tesla's were having manufacturing issues back then, the government has to step in... Oh wait.........

Well. They are the first car company to build something new in scale since John Delorean tried and failed in the 1980s and Tucker tried and failed in the 50's.

Some of this stuff is to be expected, considering even mature manufacturers have teething issues on new models.

That being said, it is pretty disconcerting that the 2016 model still suffers these kind of problems woith - what - almost 100k cars produced at this point?

I mean, I guess it could be a lemon.
True...but the Tucker might have fared better in a different time, hard to say, but they did not have the manufacturing process to be cost effective.
Tesla has a great pitch... just like the Tucker 48, but with subsidies

I have found that dust tends to concentrate around the $80k mark. If dust was an issue for him he should have opted for a car in either the $60k range or the $100k range.

True...but the Tucker might have fared better in a different time, hard to say, but they did not have the manufacturing process to be cost effective.
Tesla has a great pitch... just like the Tucker 48, but with subsidies

Tucker did have some great ideas. Seat Belts, Fuel Injection, and Pointable headlamps were just a few that were considered revolutionary.

Tucker did have some great ideas. Seat Belts, Fuel Injection, and Pointable headlamps were just a few that were considered revolutionary.

He was a visionary... but i think Alfa Romeo had the first fuel injected car..

Not a surprise with a startup, hopefully they'll shape up like Hyundai did, their pre-2001 cars were not so hot, but now they're competing with Toyota for the top spots. The knowledge may be there, but there's no short cut to gaining the actual experience.

Their quality control is much improved from the early days, but they're still considered average - like other American cars - by Consumer Report at this point due to Model X's door problems and such. That experience should serve them well as they're not going crazy on complicated design ideas anymore.

This guy seems way too sensitive to rattles, was this his first new car or something? The car door squeaking seemed like a normal sound, along with the AC fan "whine" that he had to demonstrate from OUTSIDE the vehicle, the minor refraction or "bubble" as he called it on the windshield seemed incredibly minor (at least as far as I could tell from the video) and I have seen that often on other car windshields and simply though it a normal thing with automotive glass. The guy has the balls to say that they fixed his steering wheel, and it looks straight... be he just "feels" like it isn't straight.... WTF?

There were for certain a few issues that required addressing, like the charge port and door cover coming off (directly related to him having them check for "rattles" every service visit) and Tesla definitely addressed those issues. It's not like this guy was paying money out to get these fixed, it was all covered under warranty and it seems like Tesla is taking care of customers well.

I'm still not sure this is worse than any other car manufacturer at times... I've seen high end mustangs that have interiors that are absolutely falling apart after 15,000 miles, my own BMW had a gas tank flap that would not open. Sure Tesla is high on the public radar, but I'm not convinced that 2017 Model S has any more issues than any other car, its just that nobody is going to make a video and post it to youtube if a mercedes has an alignment issue that they take to the service center and have fixed. They just do it, and move on.

I guess my few takeaways from this video is:

Maybe I need to be more picky? I wouldn't have even noticed half of his issues.
and
As expected, there may be a few issues when you buy a new car, from any manufacturer; but your warranty will make sure you are taken care of.

To me thats kind of petty even at that price point. Dust happens. They could've done a superb job cleaning it at the factory and the dealer even and in a few hours between them finishing it up and telling him it was ready it could easily be dusty again.

I used to sell Audis, and we had to clean the cars to be SPOTLESS before delivery. If you wipe down that touchscreen, it's not going to be "dusty within a few hours", it would be days. Not to mention he didn't even bitch about the dust. he said there was residue on the touchscreen "and it was a little bit dusty". To me, that's him (rightfully) bitching about the residue, not the dust.

hmmm, after listening to this I can say with absolute certainty that my 2016 Honda Civic Hybrid is perfect. Thank you Honda (Japan)!

I used to sell Audis, and we had to clean the cars to be SPOTLESS before delivery. If you wipe down that touchscreen, it's not going to be "dusty within a few hours", it would be days. Not to mention he didn't even bitch about the dust. he said there was residue on the touchscreen "and it was a little bit dusty". To me, that's him (rightfully) bitching about the residue, not the dust.

Then come tell my screens to stop getting dusty the same day after cleaning. My truck was dusty from day one. Electronics are dust magnets.

Did you watch the video? They cleaned it for delivery while he was at the shop. You don't have dust an hour after cleaning it.

Back