Guy buys a 3090ti from Amazon gets Sand instead

paint the trucks reflective light brown.
Or white. They have the technology.

Ci7XSIb.jpeg

Don't buy expensive electronics from Amazon Marketplace or Amazon Warehouse Deals and you won't have this issue.

I don't buy computer parts from Amazon, period. Not because of getting scammed, but due to how carefree they pack things.

Don't buy expensive electronics from Amazon Marketplace or Amazon Warehouse Deals and you won't have this issue.

I don't buy computer parts from Amazon, period. Not because of getting scammed, but due to how carefree they pack things.
Again, they comingle inventory with marketplace "prime" sellers. Your shipped/sold by Scamazon is meaningless in most cases when there is also a marketplace seller.

36K followers. this feels like just a skit he did for his fans and for clicks IMO. Cuz these always seem to happen to some streamer or 'influencer' not the rest of us in here who prolly a lot dont even have instagram.
Wouldn't put it past him. The influencer (aka marketing) industry has zero incentive for integrity and has every incentive to lie about it. One day (and I think it's coming), people will run these kinds of people "out of town" (or off the internet).

THis type of nonsense is what has me concerned about things like fulfilled by Amazon (FBA). Who knows what level of inspection / safety the customer gets for things being sent into the Amazon warehouse? /shrug

Last year I had a thread on how Microcenter is now using Amazon for certain orders and instead of a CPU/Motherboard combo I got sent a box of Cheez-Its packaged inside the Microcenter box.

Back when SSDs first came out, there were lots of Ebay sales and Amazon listings where people were getting SSD cases filled with washers to roughly match the weight.

It can happen to anyone.

THis type of nonsense is what has me concerned about things like fulfilled by Amazon (FBA). Who knows what level of inspection / safety the customer gets for things being sent into the Amazon warehouse? /shrug
I bought a "Like New" media cabinet from Amazon for a substantially cheaper price. When I got it I was in shocked how badly damaged it was, but Amazon chat was at least cool about it and they just refunded me instead of having me return it. I actually was still able to use the cabinet so that's a win I guess... however in this case idk what Amazon would do. What's to stop someone from ordering a $1600 graphics card, and just saying that they got sand in an attempt to get a refund on something they actually received?

They could put in a seperate battery in the back for AC and sealed doors. Plus paint the trucks reflective light brown. Maybe add a buddy system two drivers instead of one.
LOL, another monkey in the box, that'll never happen. If UPS could, they'll replace the people with a drone to take the package to the door. Better yet, they'll require you to be home and get the package from the driverless van.
IIRC, my uncle was a UPS driver in the late 80s-early 90s in Indiana, I think he made pretty good money back then since he had lots of big kid toys along with a family of 4-5.

Just recently I learn our top-tier grocery chain Publix just switched to self checkout.

Sadly, this was not the end of the story. Despite many messages the company did nothing to solve the problem. Upon calling the customer repeatedly for many days, he finally received an email which contained… a link to permanently remove the Amazon account. This order was fulfilled by Amazon themselves, mind you.
Mauricio has since then filed a lawsuit in Small Claims Court. This story has made the national headlines and only then Amazon began fixing the problem.

RTX 3070 instead of RTX 3090​

And since we are talking about Amazon scams, just recently Patrick Kennedy from ServeTheHome had a very similar problem. Instead of GeForce RTX 3090 graphics card his package contained RTX 3070 model instead. This order was also made during Amazon Prime Days.

In at least the latter case involving ServeTheHome, the card was reportedly shipped and sold by Amazon rather than a third-party marketplace seller, which reinforces the longstanding concern many have expressed about inventory commingling.

As GoldenTiger pointed out, products sold directly by Amazon are not immune to the issue. As I understand it, customer orders are selected from inventory based on geographical proximity, so whether inventory is physically mixed or maintained separately isn't an assurance that the shipped product belonged to the seller that was chosen by the customer. Marketplace sellers can opt out of participation in Amazon's commingled inventory program, but at additional costs, and presumably that's not a popular option with fraudsters...

If Amazon has changed its logistics and the above no longer applies, I'd love to know, though I'm not sure it'd restore my confidence in them.

That said, the story about the guy who received a container of sand seems suspect...
Q: "How can I tell whether my video card is counterfeit?"
A: "Does it look like the beach?" 🏖️

Last year I had a thread on how Microcenter is now using Amazon for certain orders and instead of a CPU/Motherboard combo I got sent a box of Cheez-Its packaged inside the Microcenter box.
To be fair, this has been an ongoing, if rare, problem, forever. I bought a toy for my kids back in 2000 from a Sears or Target or whatever, and when I got it home and opened it up, it was full of stuffed animals. Beyond the obvious issue with scammers, the problem is the returns people not checking boxes. If places were serious about doing that and banning scammers this could be drastically reduced as a problem.

In at least the latter case involving ServeTheHome, the card was reportedly shipped and sold by Amazon rather than a third-party marketplace seller, which reinforces the longstanding concern many have expressed about inventory commingling.
Worse, it appears to have been a return that was put back into stock as new--or at least that was his guess.

At least Frys would discount open box stuff by 5% when they put it back on the shelf, and not pretend it was still new.

To be fair, this has been an ongoing, if rare, problem, forever. I bought a toy for my kids back in 2000 from a Sears or Target or whatever, and when I got it home and opened it up, it was full of stuffed animals. Beyond the obvious issue with scammers, the problem is the returns people not checking boxes. If places were serious about doing that and banning scammers this could be drastically reduced as a problem.

The problem with returns (see Home Depot and Lowes putting clearly mishandled returned boxes right back on the shelves) is entirely different from wholly new merchandise sold as new not actually being new and instead being tampered with to contain a product of little or no value compared to the item that was supposed have been delivered.

LOL, another monkey in the box, that'll never happen. If UPS could, they'll replace the people with a drone to take the package to the door. Better yet, they'll require you to be home and get the package from the driverless van.
IIRC, my uncle was a UPS driver in the late 80s-early 90s in Indiana, I think he made pretty good money back then since he had lots of big kid toys along with a family of 4-5.

Just recently I learn our top-tier grocery chain Publix just switched to self checkout.

I don't know of any Publix locations that are purely self-checkout, but where I am an increasing number have an area of self-checkout kiosks replacing an area that used to be occupied by 2-4 checkout lines.

Does that guy not know how to get to the point? 18 minutes, geez.
I mean to be fair, the point is clearly listed in both the title and the thumbnail, everything else is for that sweet ad revenue/watch time money :D

They could put in a seperate battery in the back for AC and sealed doors. Plus paint the trucks reflective light brown. Maybe add a buddy system two drivers instead of one.
I wouldn't give a shit if I was a driver. Anything is better than nothing. So what if I lose some AC if I open the door. The reason they have AC is because you lose MPG and the trucks cost more. They don't care if you collapse from a heat stroke so long as the shareholders are happy with increased profits.

They could put plastic strips on both sides of the doors so they wouldn't have to open the door but it would keep the air inside to a point.

At least Frys would discount open box stuff by 5% when they put it back on the shelf, and not pretend it was still new.
I remember shopping and everything I wanted had that goddamned sticker on it. If I'm in a B&M I want NEW. 5% just isn't going to cut it if someone else's tentacles have been slithering all over it. At least if I buy something online I know it's been heat-cleansed via the autoclave that is a UPS truck.

I mean, they did order sand. They merely received a lot more sand than they originally ordered.
Not just sand though. Plastic, metal, all sorts of chemicals are missing.

EDIT: Nvm, I see the jar lid and various containers. It's mostly there, sans the various chemicals.

I'd agree they did get shorted on copper and aluminum. Can't dissipate the 350 watts,(465.7W JFC) or whatever that behemoth consumes, with just galvanized steel, silica, plastic, and cardboard. Gotta have some copper for the VRMs, too.

I'm not doubting that this could happen to anyone at anytime from any vendor, and perhaps I have just been one lucky SOB, but I have ordered over $5k worth of stuff from da 'Zon in the past 2 months (not including my monthly Subscribe & Save stuff), and every single item was exactly as it was supposed to be and was delivered on time as promised.... some of these orders included pc parts, other electronics, clothes, shoes, auto parts, house stuff etc, and all of it was "Sold & shipped" by them though.

OTOH, I ordered $438 worth of stuff from WallyWorld last week, and 4 of the 8 items were way different from what I ordered, 2 were damaged in transit, and 1 was used & abused.... needless to say I immediately ripped them a new a**hole and got ALL of my $$ back + got to keep everything...

And finally, I ordered 2 small items from BustBuy last week also, 1 was fine but the other was a cheap chinese knock off instead of the genuine article.... same rip and refund process as above :)

I remember shopping and everything I wanted had that goddamned sticker on it. If I'm in a B&M I want NEW. 5% just isn't going to cut it if someone else's tentacles have been slithering all over it.

And I remember returning stuff to Frys and the level of due diligence they do inspecting returns and that made me want to have nothing to do with discounted returns. I mean they are great with accepting returns but when you are 45 minutes of freeway driving away it doesnt take but a couple returns to never do that again

I don't like sand. It's coarse, rough, and irritating. And it gets everywhere.

And I remember returning stuff to Frys and the level of due diligence they do inspecting returns and that made me want to have nothing to do with discounted returns. I mean they are great with accepting returns but when you are 45 minutes of freeway driving away it doesnt take but a couple returns to never do that again
Everytime I returned something to MC they would open up the completely seal box to inspect the content. They then slap a 10% discount on it. It surprised the the garage that I got when I went to buy a open box MB. Honestly hate on Amazon all you want this nothing new. This scam been going on for decades at B&M stores. Hell I did it when I was a poor teenager. I swapped out a new PS2 with mine that broke. People still get box of rocks ordering PS5 and Xbox from Walmart and target.

Everytime I returned something to MC they would open up the completely seal box to inspect the content. They then slap a 10% discount on it. It surprised the the garage that I got when I went to buy a open box MB. Honestly hate on Amazon all you want this nothing new. This scam been going on for decades at B&M stores. Hell I did it when I was a poor teenager. I swapped out a new PS2 with mine that broke. People still get box of rocks ordering PS5 and Xbox from Walmart and target.

I bought a dead in box ps2 when I was a teenager. I bet I probably got the one you swapped out. You should be ashamed of yourself.

See the worst I would do is copy a Commodore 64 game, leave some strong speaker magnets on the 5.25" floppy over night, and return policy always was return for money back if it was non-functional if it worked they simply gave you the game back and was like "tough shit if this is an overpriced game for what you get out of it" ... so yeah developer is the one to lose in that case, not some poor slob buying a returned copy.

nothing new. few yeas ago purchased set of Iridium spark plugs ... from Amazon since ebay is full of fake NGK plugs, received a package of used plugs. Amazon replaced them with any problems. but getting scammed with high value purchase.. really bad

I don't buy much from Amazon, because I don't want them taking over the world... something like Acme Corp, Weyland-Yutani, MomCorp or the McCandless Corporation (see if you can get all those references).

My wife insists on keeping Prime and feeding the monopoly. The only things I buy from Amazon are <$10 items that are going to cost them more to Prime to me than they will make in profit.

Support local businesses and smaller companies. Don't create monopolies. Bezos has enough penis shaped rockets already.

AC isn't ineffective if you can put your head in front of it for a minute. Maybe that's what they don't want, even a minute of down-time.

It is also complete BS that AC would be ineffective because of the frequent stops. Unless he is stopping in every bloody house in the street and turning his car off in each of them when making the delivery.

I've generally found that their lower prices more than makes up for shipping costs, especially on more expensive stuff. Plus RockAuto has the perpetual 5% discount codes.
I find their shipping is just silly when anywhere else would be free (amazon) or significantly lower (eBay).

That said, I now go into my local dealer, show them the cost of the part on rockauto, and they USUALLY price match it or within a few dollars.

I find their shipping is just silly when anywhere else would be free (amazon) or significantly lower (eBay).

That said, I now go into my local dealer, show them the cost of the part on rockauto, and they USUALLY price match it or within a few dollars.

Why is it silly if it is more representative of actual cost? Especially when the total cost with shipping comes out lower?

Good for you your local dealer will price match. I would say that's a YMMV scenario.

Why is it silly if it is more representative of actual cost? Especially when the total cost with shipping comes out lower?

Good for you your local dealer will price match. I would say that's a YMMV scenario.
I agree with the YMMV, but I don't imagine many people bother checking.

The issue with shipping is there is no rhyme or reason. I can buy an $8 harness and the shipping is $30. Then I can buy a strut, which should be much more expensive based on weight, and it's $15? Doesn't make any sense.

And yes, they are shipping from the same location. I've ordered enough from there to know where things are coming from.

I do like that I can combine and it will let me know which items are in the same locale.

So where should we be going for online purchases now? Newegg? Ebay? Any other reliable online sellers that ship?

So where should we be going for online purchases now? Newegg? Ebay? Any other reliable online sellers that ship?
If you're in Canada I've bought at ShopRBC, MemoryExpress, Canadacomputers and Cendirect. There's also Newegg.ca, Best Buy, Staples. (Never really tried Vuugo, PC Canada or iSanek.)

Sounds like it would be easy enough to buy a GPU from the amazon warehouse and whe it gets to you, claim it was just dirt or something making up the weight

Sounds like it would be easy enough to buy a GPU from the amazon warehouse and whe it gets to you, claim it was just dirt or something making up the weight
Sure, and you wouldn't even be on the hook for mail fraud too since Amazon packages are not considered "mail" even when delivered the last mile by the USPS.

That said, if you ever get caught could very well be on the hook for grand larceny

or... check this out, we get a job workin' at nVidia. Show up every day, do the work, collect a fat check every month. Then, one day, 20 years later, just walk away like nothing happened.

Back