Guru3d 6870/6850 review

The upcoming weeks/months are going to filled with entertaining threads of blind Nvidia fans justifying purchases. Popcorn at the ready.

To be honest im looking to buy a new Video Card and im still undecided. The GTX 460 is a really good card and it Overclocks like a beast. Just going to have to see more reviews and see were the pricing settles in. Pulling the trigger on one of these midrange cards though. I don't think I could go wrong with either card maker at this point...

I can't argue with that. I have a 4870x2 and a GT 470 (sli). I don't think I can go crossfire/sli ever again myself. The price gouging will most likely happen though from vendors like Newegg and Tigerdirect.

Even if its above 10% MSRP I would buy asap on release date. Who knows if we get a repeat of the 5870 pricing. (early 5870 adopters = winners)
Why no more SLI/Crossfire for you???

Wow, in Crysis Warhead a single 6870 is getting 44 fps. A single 5870 is getting 45. In CFX the 6870's are getting 79fps while the 5870's are getting 70 fps. And in Far Cry 2 5870CFX is getting 101 fps, 6850 CFX is getting 117 fps. This looks like it's going to get really interesting come the 69xx series.

Makes you wonder if they somehow suddenly fixed their Crossfire scaling, or if it was actually the architecture of the cards holding back CFX performance and that making slight changes to it has made a breakthrough.

Nice!

They managed to get very close to 5850/5870 with 400 million less transistors. Has there been any real explanation where the performance is coming from? Some of it is clock speed.

It looks to me like the 6850 easily handles the GTX 460 1GB.

That means NVidia will be forced to sell it's much bigger silicon for less money. That has to hurt.

The next year is going to rock for video cards. Cayman is up next and should give another 30%+.

Then in 2011 there should be a full node process change to 28nm, doubling the transistor budget, meaning up to 100% power boost.

To be honest im looking to buy a new Video Card and im still undecided. The GTX 460 is a really good card and it Overclocks like a beast. Just going to have to see more reviews and see were the pricing settles in. Pulling the trigger on one of these midrange cards though. I don't think I could go wrong with either card maker at this point...

No you can't go wrong with either. My statement is aimed at the loud few across forums that fail to acknowledge the pros of both AMD/Nvidia. I would be happy with AMD for bringing down 460/470 and soon to be 480 prices.

wow very impressive for new refresh from ati that will match gtx460's level
very impressive indeed

Guru3D is getting [H]it [H]ard. Their website is now slower than molasses going uphill.

I'm wondering where are the Nvidia fanboys hiding lol. They should have been here by now. :/
Black Friday and Cyber Monday are going to be awesome this year, also consider the fact that 6870 is more expensive because it is using 8 layer PCB boards. Once the initial batch of cards runs out, they will use a less expensive 6 layer PCB board, meaning further price reductions.

Added pages 6 through 12...poor webserver was not meant to handle this kinda load hahaha

I'm wondering where are the Nvidia fanboys hiding lol. They should have been here by now. :/

Even if people wanted to counter this product, how could they? The results are there. The 6850 is faster than the 460, and 6870 beats the gtx 470. Furthermore, they outperform them with less power and heat.

Black Friday and Cyber Monday are going to be awesome this year, also consider the fact that 6870 is more expensive because it is using 8 layer PCB boards. Once the initial batch of cards runs out, they will use a less expensive 6 layer PCB board, meaning further price reductions.

Nvidia is a way better company, hows that? :D:D:D

Even if people wanted to counter this product, how could they? The results are there. The 6850 is faster than the 460, and 6870 beats the gtx 470. Furthermore, they outperform them with less power and heat.

The popular argument these days is "6870 is not as fast as 5870; downfall of AMD imminent".

I wish I were joking.

Wow, the Guru3D review summary is terrible. It reads like it is written by someone in junior high.

Yeah and they repeat too many times that the new name scheme is a bit confusing. Please get over it and let's talk about performance, features and price (and availability...)!

It may still be too early to complain but someone explain to me why prices of the 5870 and 5850 haven't dropped? Do they not want people to buy them?

Well it is midnight and the 22nd over in the netherlands so NDA should be up for them if it is not specific to a certain US time zone.

It may still be too early to complain but someone explain to me why prices of the 5870 and 5850 haven't dropped? Do they not want people to buy them?
Yeah, can't see them getting many sales from those cards now. If I didn't already have a 5870, I'd certainly buy a 6870 instead of it; it's practically at the same level of performance, and it summarily beat the 5870CFX in several games.

Well it is midnight and the 22nd over in the netherlands so NDA should be up for them if it is not specific to a certain US time zone.
Yeah I got quite a few different NDA expiry times. For example the Australia NDA lifts at 10:01PM Perth time, the EU one at 2AM GMT.

Oh and for people wondering about availability:
6870pyramid.jpg

well you can get a 5850 for $195 after rebate.

So far...[H] is the only place that seems to understand that you compare performance by cost...not "equivalent model number" or anything else (# of shaders, etc.) And again, forgive me, but benchmarks are absolutely worthless.

I'll wait for [H] to let me know a) how many frames per sec [quantity] and b) picture detail, choppiness, etc [quality], all versus the competition, and what I can expect for my hard-earned $$$.

(Thankfully, Intel looks to be getting back into the video biz again, and not in a lame way, so maybe we're going to have more to choose from and at lower prices. Things have been getting WAAAY too "cartel-ish" these days.)

Yeah and they repeat too many times that the new name scheme is a bit confusing. Please get over it and let's talk about performance, features and price (and availability...)!

don't let them off that easy. they may have done this for good reasons (they wanted more room in the product line was the story) have been playing at this for a while, for instance it wasn't the 5870 X2 but the 5970. now they want to undo that for a diffident reasons. This is one area that they don't need to be looking to Nvidia.

Can't wait to see the [H] review.... I am going to still hold off till the 69xx are relased to see the performance/price difference.

And since my lowly 4850 still handles most stuff pretty well at 1980x1080 I can wait a couple more months to see how stuff pans out.

CFX looks like it has finally been fixed.... this is a very good thing for AMD.

Can't wait to see the [H] review.... I am going to still hold off till the 69xx are relased to see the performance/price difference.

And since my lowly 4850 still handles most stuff pretty well at 1980x1080 I can wait a couple more months to see how stuff pans out.

CFX looks like it has finally been fixed.... this is a very good thing for AMD.

actually it was only really broken on the 5800 series. note how crossfire 5870 loose to crossfire 6870 despite the 5870 being faster. and crossfire on the 5600 and 5700 worked fine. I never have had that satisfactorily explained to me.

I wish i could get a few of more than one game in crossfire. The scaling is practically at 100% for BFBC2.

I don't think anyone can deny that nvidia continues to kill the drivers side of this war, but if AMD steps it up with these cards then they will see massive sales. Finally they can actually put all there nice hardware to use.

It all comes down to scaling for me, this is the market where alot of people go sli/crossfire so they better have that down.

Back