Gunmen Ram Van Into Microsoft Headquarters

Zarathustra[H];1038878915 said:
Except, when we look to Japan, we saw the absolute opposite. During the worst tsunami in recent history and what was rapidly turning into a nuclear catastrophe, they rose to the occasion and showed the world what is is like to be civil under pressure.

We knew New Orleans is a rowdy bohemian place, so it should come as no surprise that human nature showed its ugly side there when things went to shit.

I've never been to Greece, but judging by their irrational reactions there, I don't have very high regards for them either.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'd like to hope that if something like this happened here in the North East we would be a lot more like Japan, than like Greece or New Orleans.

I think natural disasters can be much different though.

If you look to the Arab spring, and what is taking place in Syria right now, you'd see that such mayhem was spurred by calls for political reform largely from groups of people who were suffering the effects of high unemployment. People without jobs and who feel their government is corrupt or ineffectual have demonstrated that they turn to protesting. The protesting a lot of times turned into violence as their demonstrations were met with force.

When people find vulnerabilities in the 'system' or their communities, human nature will rear it's ugly head. Greece is drawing little sympathy unlike with Japan, Haiti, India, and other countries who suffered natural disasters. Greece dragged itself down and isn't making much progress in pulling itself up. The EU is burdened with the task of helping Greece out of a mess they allowed themselves to fall into, and world economies are feeling the drag. There is less sympathy in this situation which I feel differentiates itself from the natural human response to disaster.

Back