Guitar Hero III: PC and MAC

djkest

Limp Gawd
Alright so, December 2nd the PC/MAC version of Guitar Hero III was released with not a lot of fanfare. This is kind of nice for people who don't have a gaming system but lots of PCs. Anyway, I just got it last night and here's what I think.

Graphics are very sharp and colorful: at high settings and high res it looks fantastic. The downside to this is that it is really really a resource hog, and you can't afford to have any slowdown, or the game will become unplayable. On my gaming machine, it worked well most of the time, but I did have a little slowdown at one point where I had to pause it. Recommended (IE you need this to play at all) is x2 3800+ or C2D 2.0GHz, 2 GB of RAM, and 8800 series nVidia or 2600XT + ATI. At least according to them.

On my HTPC, even at the lowest quality settings they have, it was generally unplayable. Granted, that has integrated graphics, but good grief. I may buy a standalone card just so I can play the game in my living room.

BTW, the game is wicked fun. I stayed up 3 hours past my usual bed time jammin out the tunes. Any one else get this?

Yeah, same here. But just wait until you get to medium difficulty.. I'm so fraustrated now. I can mostly get 91-95 percent, but I'm aiming at 5 starring every (or almost) every song and some songs are just ridiculous on medium.

Rock and Roll All Nite for example, there's one section (ace this solo, freely) that I don't think I'll ever pass.

Also Baracuda, omg, there's a huge streak of the same note that goes by REALLY fast for most of the song and I can't time it right, ever

And this is how I get annoyed with games

Well, considering it took me 4 trys to beat the very first song on easy, I made a lot of progress in 3 hours. One of my buds just beat the game on expert though... I hate him.

Yeah, im looking to get this for myself as a Christmas present. It looks so cool!
Anyway, do you think if I turned the settings way down, if I could play it all right on my 7900GS OC?

Just do quickplay a lot. For instance, I'm good at medium songs but I play on expert in QP to get my skills up, it's the only way.(with no fail) You can't just play medium all the time.

I play guitar for about 8 years, and I can't play guitar hero for crap. I was attempting to play one by metallica at work yesterday and after 10 seconds the game ended from missing so many notes.

haha, so today I noticed that when I somtimes fret, it frets it twice for me. So it causes me to "miss" a fret almost every other fret. This wasn't happening before today.

I went to BB and replaced it, I got the PC+Mac version, which was released after the PC only version, so I assumed the guitar may be tweaked a bit. And infact it is! There's a cap over the ethernet port (what's it for anyway?) and the buttons feel stiffer, and not so plasticy as on previous keyboard.

I now 5 star every song I go through on medium... I even got 93 percent on that ace this solo, freely when before I couldn't get 75 percent

The guitar uses the ETHERNET PORT? I don't think so bucko, I think it uses USB... Unless...I mean what the F, why would it use ethernet?!?!?!?!

The guitar uses the ETHERNET PORT? I don't think so bucko, I think it uses USB... Unless...I mean what the F, why would it use ethernet?!?!?!?!

no, on the PC version there's a ethernet port on the bottom of the guitar for some reason. It uses USB duh, but I just mentioned that there's a ethernet port (that is closed with a cap in the new revision)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071129074652AAnGo7h lol 3 different answers, so still not clear what it's used for exactly

It's actually a phone jack, not an ethernet port. Honest to God. It could be used for programming the guitar... but it's kind of an unorthodox way. There is also another jack on the bottom of the guitar that I don't know what it is.

One thing I don't like about the guitar is that the neck feels too flexible. I can grab the frets and twist them if I crank on it. Maybe I'll take it apart and add some STEEL!

play every other day for a year boys and you'll get to play expert without difficulty. my buddies an i still get together twice a week to rock out the tunes together and have a blast. we're all expert players now. im almost 30 years old and don't give a crap about peoples opinions of me playing this game so much. woot.

the pc guitar is the same guitar that came with gh2 on the xbox360. when gh2 was released i thought i remember reading that the port was for foot pedal. i bet they never end up using it.

Cool game, if you use the keyboard rather than the guitar, may I suggest remapping the keys before you start playing so that the thumb on the spacebar is the far right note and the rest are z,x,c,v

This way when you get to the hard setting you can use all 5 notes without shifting finger positions, I got all the way through easy/medium using z,x,c,v,b and had to re-learn it all from scratch to get anywhere in hard mode. It just saves having to re-learn it.

Geesh... the phone jack is for the headsets ... you know, when communicating over xbox live? I mean, how could that even be an ethernet port?.... Astonishing.

Geesh... the phone jack is for the headsets ... you know, when communicating over xbox live? I mean, how could that even be an ethernet port?.... Astonishing.

The headset doesn't use a phone jack.. it has it's own special port, which is the big black port on the bottom of the guitar

the pc version still doesn't have any dlc. That is my only problem with the game so far.

Yeah, same here. But just wait until you get to medium difficulty.. I'm so fraustrated now. I can mostly get 91-95 percent, but I'm aiming at 5 starring every (or almost) every song and some songs are just ridiculous on medium.

Rock and Roll All Nite for example, there's one section (ace this solo, freely) that I don't think I'll ever pass.

Also Baracuda, omg, there's a huge streak of the same note that goes by REALLY fast for most of the song and I can't time it right, ever

And this is how I get annoyed with games

Few tips

Play the harder songs more and then go back and do easier songs on perfect, I will try and explain.

I did all the easy songs and passed them to whatever level I happened to get, then I did all the medium songs the same way and went back and did all the easy songs 5 star, then went back and did all the medium songs 5 star.

The reason this works is because by the time you've done all of the songs on a harder difficulty you will find the easier version of that song quite possible to get 5 stars.

Right now I have all the easy done perfect (5 golden starts, for getting 100%) and all the medium songs just normal 5 star, I'm having trouble getting perfect scores for the medium songs so now I've moved up to the hard songs, by the time I've done the hard songs the medium ones will be possible to get perfect scores.

As for the long note streaks, I feel your pain mate, only thing I can say here is that you might want to go into the settings and change the audio lag down a bit, the notes for the settings will actually say to alter this value if you're having trouble getting long combos.

The other thing about the long combos of just 1 note is that often you try and mash the button really fast to try and hit all the notes when sometimes thats actually too fast, you need to slow down and pace yourself, it's hard to do because you naturally want to mash the buttons fast but you have to control yourself. I also find at this point to try and match your button pressing with the music rather than watching the screen, try and take your eyes of the notes for the majorety of the length and just do it on the sound alone, with a lower audio latency that works well I think.

Back