Guitar Hero 5

agrindinger

Limp Gawd
I feel like Guitar Hero has really fallen from its once mighty pedestal and is now on its way out or at least should be. I used to feel that Guitar Hero had songs that you would like to play and even if you didn't like the band you would play the songs and have a good time.

Now I feel like with Rock Band having taking the game world by storm and with its DLC ideology has changed the way that music sims are. Guitar Hero has become populated by a few good songs and then just meh stuff and you really dont have any other option if you want to play only a few of these songs. Rock Band on the other hand with its DLC means that you can play what you want. I think that if Rock Band can secure the songs that Guitar Hero can that Guitar Hero will be on its way out. :D for one combined power.

While I agree Rockband 1/2 are better, several things need to change with it, the guitar parts on Medium are way to easy (what I play on) and are not very fun to play cuz the notes are spaced out way to far, on GH this is not the case, songs on medium are a blast to play and offer a challenge where as RB does not. The 5.1 audio mix in RB is no where near the quality that GH is, RB has way to many highs and not enough mids and bass tone's.

But the customization, online store of RB destroys GH, 5 looks a lot better and I hope with this one they go the in-game store route and add some more customiztion to the mix.

Also 5 has Kurt Cobain which is extremely odd, but cool.

I do not like seeing Kurt Cobain in guitar hero. Man the dude would have never done that if he was alive.

No doubt; same thing with metallica. If they were still alive, they'd never have let them make a guitar hero game with their name in it!

I haven't had the opportunity to play Rock Band yet. I've got Beatles preordered and should be here soon. However, I have to say that I thought World Tour was crap. I felt the decline in GH3, but it was VERY bad in WT. In fact, I didn't even finish WT becuase I didn't like a bunch of the songs.

I wish GH was like RB where I could import the previous games songs. I'd love to play GH1/2 again, but I'm kind of screwed since the PS2 controlers don't work on the PS3, and the PS3 controller doesn't work with the PS2 games.

Uhh Metallica are not dead, unless you mean Cliff Burton.

They died when Jason left.

True story about Cliff's death. He wasn't actually the one to die. He saw what a bunch of pussies the band would become and invented time travel. After perfecting time travel, he went back to that night where Lars died in a bus accident and traded spots with him.

True story.
serious.

I know they're not dead; they're just not what they used to be. If you dig deep enough, you can find where they swore they'd never even make a video becuase that was "selling out". Now they've got videos, games, movies... you name it...

As soon as the franchise was bastardized with the "3 titles a year" announcement a couple years ago, it was over for this franchise. They took something unique that you looked forward too, and shoved it down your throat every couple mouths, just to make a few bucks. I don't want anything to do with it anymore.

Figured the Harmonix creating GH1, 2, and 80s then leaving to create Rock Band news was more common but that's typically the primary reason attributed to the downfall of GH starting with 3.

Are there any track listings online for this game? That will determine whether or not I get it.

they are just milking the series now, stay tuned for GH 6,7,8,9,10+

I wish GH was like RB where I could import the previous games songs.

There are ways to accomplish that. I've imported all the Guitar Hero I and II songs into the PC version of Guitar Hero III with some community-written software.

GH5 is going to let you import songs from World Tour and Smash Hits. That makes it a must buy for me.

I can't link source since I'm at work. Check Kotaku or Shacknews.

I do not like seeing Kurt Cobain in guitar hero. Man the dude would have never done that if he was alive.

Courtney must need some monie

i agree. not only would he not be in it, i don;t think he would want his songs in it.

but i must admit (being a HUGE Nirvana fan) i had so much fun playing those songs over the weekend!!! seeing him come out was cool!!!

Guitar Hero = the Madden for people who don't like football!

I think, at this point, Guitar Hero is worse.

Since 2005, there have been 5 Madden games. In the same time there have been 8 guitar hero games, with two more due out by years end, if you count band hero... and that's excluding the 3 DS versions.

Guitar Hero has been shit ever since Harmonix left to make Rock Band. Rock Band, that is a great game, and I cannot wait for The Beatles: Rock Band coming out in a few days.

Guitar Hero 5 results in bullfuckery like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UuAoEW5MbI

This is what happens when you take away music game development from pioneers in the genre and give it to the guys that crank out Tony Hawk sequels. :p

Figured the Harmonix creating GH1, 2, and 80s then leaving to create Rock Band news was more common but that's typically the primary reason attributed to the downfall of GH starting with 3.

That is exactly why GH has turned to crap.

Ive been following GH since GH2 on PS2, now on to PS3 and its offering's. I picked up GH5 and felt while it still is Guitar hero, the song selections are becoming less about guitar but about music..playing rammstein's du hast, i wondered why im playing when the keyboard is playing. i thought it was guitar hero.

I also feel that GH is better than rock band in terms of gameplay and hammer on's...But Rock band's seletion of songs excluding DLC is probaly better in terms of songs offered on disc. Im biased because Rock band offer's cannibal corpse.

One thing i do know that Rock band got right which has been mentioned is the ability to play DLC with either Rock band. And importing songs from 1 to 2. Which GH has now done..i havent looked into it, but if it cost anymore than 5bux.its not worth it.

So I picked up GH5. It's pretty good. Unfortunately it still suffers from what's plagued all the recent GH games... it seems like it's target audience is kids, where as when I play Rock Band 2 I don't get that feeling.

Also, I just have to say. The 360 avatar option for your character is pretty dumb. They look like crap.

did anyone notice the new version of Bring tha noise...its horrible...

I forgot to mention. The added addition of trophies is cool

So I picked up GH5. It's pretty good. Unfortunately it still suffers from what's plagued all the recent GH games... it seems like it's target audience is kids, where as when I play Rock Band 2 I don't get that feeling.

Also, I just have to say. The 360 avatar option for your character is pretty dumb. They look like crap.

I like the avatar option. It was fun playing with my fiance and her friends.

same here. i even went and made my band all random avatars.

really cool stuff.

sorry you guys dont like it. my biggest complaint is how hard the hard setting is...

Every Guitar Hero after GH2 has been terrible. Harmonix was the part of the equation that mattered, they pioneered the genre with Frequency, Amplitude, and Guitar Hero 1 & 2, after which they went off to create Rock Band. Everything from GH3 onwards has been made by the same guys that make Tony Hawk, people who have no background creating music games.

Its crap, and it also results in shit like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UuAoEW5MbI

Horrible.

I can't imagine Harmonix doing anything like this, look at the care and respect that they put into The Beatles Rock Band, night and day difference.

Yeah, Guitar Hero sucks, bunch of overcharted tracks, garish presentation, ripping off RB mechanics when they can, bleagh.

Yeah...ive said this before...I love GH...But the song selection in 5 is horrible..probaly why there giving van halen away for free

Every Guitar Hero after GH2 has been terrible. Harmonix was the part of the equation that mattered, they pioneered the genre with Frequency, Amplitude, and Guitar Hero 1 & 2, after which they went off to create Rock Band. Everything from GH3 onwards has been made by the same guys that make Tony Hawk, people who have no background creating music games.

Its crap, and it also results in shit like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UuAoEW5MbI

Horrible.

I can't imagine Harmonix doing anything like this, look at the care and respect that they put into The Beatles Rock Band, night and day difference.

Yeah, Guitar Hero sucks, bunch of overcharted tracks, garish presentation, ripping off RB mechanics when they can, bleagh.

That's coming from a Rock Band fan boy. Rock Band has horribly noted charts. Rock Band 2 is even worse. And yes, I've beaten both games.

I will not be buying GH5 because of how bad the game has become. The last good GH is going to be Smash Hits. The GH ranking in order is as follows, from best to worst:

Metallica, 3, Smash Hits, 2, 1, 5, Aerosmith. I haven't looked at Van Halen but I expect more of the same. Keep in mind I'm not your average player, 40 GH3 FC's, everything 5-starred in 2, 300k on Raining Blood, 602k on GH3 one, a bunch of M and SH FC's.

That's coming from a Rock Band fan boy. Rock Band has horribly noted charts. Rock Band 2 is even worse. And yes, I've beaten both games.

They may be "horrible" to you, I think they're fine, but by any measure they're way better than the note charts in GH3 and World Tour (I haven't played any GH game since). An expert note chart in RB at least tries to be accurate and give off the impression that you are playing the song. The GH charts are way overcharted, adding notes that aren't there, chords where there shouldn't be chords, and button progressions that are there purely for the sake of adding difficulty and nothing else. Sometimes its like the people charting the songs use a dartboard to figure out how to do the charting, its garbage.

And it isn't a matter of being a Rock Band fanboy (although I pretty much am :)), its being a fan of Harmonix. They've been doing music games for over a decade and know WTF is up. Guitar Hero took an immediate shit in quality when they were handed over to the Tony Hawk developers, guys that have no music game experience. Every new GH iteration ripped off what RB had already done a year prior, but poorly. I will give them credit for adding drop-in-drop-out with GH5, that's cool.

Anyway, if GH5 was great then I'd be more than happy to keep playing Guitar Hero games, but right now I can't, not when Harmonix is doing a much better job with charting, DLC, presentation, appropriate features (Kurt Cobain should NOT be singing Bon Jovi, haha), etc etc.

Chop Suey is one RB2 chart that I can't say is an accutate chart.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I didn't even know this was coming out but I have tried World Tour and Rock Band and Rock Band seems like it just has a better song selection and I love the idea of the DLC\iTune style thing. Superior song selection. But Guitar Hero, they're just really milking it now, it seems. But Spirit Of Radio is cool. :confused:

Shame they're using Cobain's likeness. Courtney must need the coke\heroin money.

Well, hate to be that guy but I'm actually going to play along to 2112 now, with real guitar.

Back