Guinness Book of World Records creates new record just for EA: "Most-downvoted Comment on Reddit"

Armenius

Extremely [H]
Shortly prior to the release of the much-maligned Star Wars Battlefront II, an EA representative on Reddit tried to address the concerns players had with the time sink required in the game to unlock new characters that included the predatory real money microtransaction system to reduce that time. Needless to say, the community was not pleased with the response. The incident was so notorious that it got widespread news coverage, the pressure from which probably was part of the reason why EA and DICE revamped the gameplay systems in the last hour prior to release.

The original comment, which received more than 680,000 downvotes:

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.

As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay.

We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on Reddit, our forums and across numerous social media outlets.

Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can.
Extreme Tech breaks down the full context on how this happened and why this was a turning point in the discussion surrounding loot box mechanics, which EA later infamously referred to as "surprise mechanics." The discussion surrounding "surprise mechanics" is ongoing with the attention of national governments, and 2K has not helped the industry's cause with its recent release of NBA 2K20 where you literally gamble for the game currency VC.

upload_2019-9-11_15-18-26.png

I'm not really hip to reddit but it's funny to see that of all the things to get slammed it would be something to come from EA.. everyone hates them and they know it.

Oh yes, I remember them on the Guinness TV show.

I don't understand how one can eat that much. Just because you're extremely obese doesn't mean your actual stomach grows does it? 1/4 of that breakfast would stuff me to the point of probably getting sick...

I digress.. lol

I'm not really hip to reddit but it's funny to see that of all the things to get slammed it would be something to come from EA.. everyone hates them and they know it.

I don't understand how one can eat that much. Just because you're extremely obese doesn't mean your actual stomach grows does it? 1/4 of that breakfast would stuff me to the point of probably getting sick...

I digress.. lol

Stomach does eventually stretch in size if you are a big eater.

LOL...

As a result of all the negative press and player complaints, they completely re-did the lootbox system, basically got rid of it. It's still there in that the daily login reward is a free lootbox with credits, but there's no more random character powerup type things in purchased loot boxes, nor is there anything random at all. The characters are mostly all unlocked for free now, with only the last 4 new ones that were released late 2018 early 2019 (Anakin, Obiwan, Count Dooku, Grievous) being 35k credits each (about 8 days of casual play ~1.5 hours a day), along with I think 1 or 2 hero ships that need unlocked while the majority are free/ready to use.

The only thing you can purchase with real money is cosmetics: appearances, victory poses, and voice lines, and for those you buy the specific item, no random shit.

All character powerups like weapons, weapon attachments, and star cards (which power up heros, troopers, vehicles) can only be earned by in-game progression. You also earn credits as you play (in addition to character progression), and those credits can be used in place of the purchased credits to purchase all the cosmetics.

Most players who have been playing for over a year already have an excess of unspent credits with nothing to spend them on, though recently they released a bunch of clone trooper appearances as well as 4 new droid appearances, so finally something more to spend them on.

The two main characters could take day's to unlock.at 3 hrs. a day could be as many as 10 days. I believe that's the way i heard it on yt. That's for each character.

Never played this game, but that does not sound like much of a grind compared to boating wizard skills in UO or grinding AA skills in Everquest. Then again I am obviously old school and enjoy a bit of grind. However, it is pretty sleazy if you can buy out of the grind by paying the company. This is why I support subscription models.

Last edited:
Never played this game, but that does not sound like much of a grind compared to boating wizard skills in UO or grinding skills in Everquest. Then again I am obviously old school and enjoy a bit of grind. However, it is pretty sleazy if you can buy out of the grind by paying the company. This is why I support subscription models.
I just had flashbacks to baking with my Druid and lockpicking with my rogue in Sebilis.

Holy shit.

Now that this is a thing how long before somebody makes a post for the purpose of being down voted just to break the record.

Well, they hold the world record for publishing the most world records...

If memory serves me correct they also hold the record for the book most often stolen from libraries.

So many great memories from childhood of Origin/EA in the 80's and 90's. From Ultima, Racing Destruction Set, Pinball Construction Set, Wing Commander, to multiple piles of IP's gathering on the sidewalk now. Good job EA, you worked hard to get this far.

I think the best fact is that the next most downvoted comment (also made by EA) has 600,000 less downvotes than this comment. I think this record would hold for a while.

Back