Guild Wars for PS3?

steviep

Supreme [H]ardness
The article here gives credence to MMORPGs on the PS3 (and possibly Revolution, but probably just PS3). The X360 isn't included in NCSoft's/Arena.net's plans (they say that XBLive isn't suited for most MMORPGs??), but it seems another PC-focused team is looking at consoles more seriously. Strain seems to want to speak to Microsoft, though, to help change the business model of Live to be more focused on MMORPGs, so that's good news on that front. Gotta put the X360 keyboard support to use for something :p

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=14932 (original article from a couple months back here)

It all depends if sony's online network is more open to developers then Microsofts. This is the reason it took EA so long to jump onto XLive, MS wants full control insted of allowing developers control of it.

As much as I hate to say it, I think the PS3 will be more suited for MMOs than the 360 - due solely to the fact that Sony is going to support the Keyboard and Mouse (at the developers choosing of course).

In the end, I see myself playing an RTS game on the PS3 with KB&M on the PS3 "HUB", instead of duking it out with a controller on the Xbox360 LIVE.

I was highly dissapointed with the PS2, and I admit that I am a bit of a Sony "hater" - but they won me over with PS3 due to the statement that Unreal 2007 will launch with full keyboard and mouse support day one.

Now, as always with Sony, I will wait until I see it before I beleive it - but if they pull through with the Keyboard and Mouse support, I will be buying TWO of them.

There are MMO coming to the 360 Live, like Huxley by Webzen and others.

Arenanet had stated maybe months ago (probably 8 ?) that they do not 'like' the way Live is setup. But guess what ? Live IS top dog, and nothing Nintendo or Sony produce is going to remotely come close. I mean unless Sony has been secretly developing a super online service and has invested hundres of millions of not billions into this project .. its not going to happen.

While I like Arenanet, they do not speak for the development community at all. They make some valid points about Live's structure, but all in all.. Live is unmatched, and likely will continue to be throughout this next gen.

Json23 said:
As much as I hate to say it, I think the PS3 will be more suited for MMOs than the 360 - due solely to the fact that Sony is going to support the Keyboard and Mouse (at the developers choosing of course).

In the end, I see myself playing an RTS game on the PS3 with KB&M on the PS3 "HUB", instead of duking it out with a controller on the Xbox360 LIVE.

I was highly dissapointed with the PS2, and I admit that I am a bit of a Sony "hater" - but they won me over with PS3 due to the statement that Unreal 2007 will launch with full keyboard and mouse support day one.

Now, as always with Sony, I will wait until I see it before I beleive it - but if they pull through with the Keyboard and Mouse support, I will be buying TWO of them.

Um the KB&M setup will be slowed down so movement speeds match the conroller.. just like the KB&M setup on the orignal Xbox. Also, The 360 supports USB Keyboards .. just not mice.... mice are not supported unless you install Linux on your 360 harddrive... this is done to prevent hacking/modifications.

MS was smart to steer clear of KB&M, and Sony is making a big mistake ... just watch .. it's not going to be pretty. Not to mention its Sony, so expect the mouse and keyboard to be propriatary, and cost a lot of money... only to be move a fast as X Y cordinated on the controller ...

theNoid, you always seem to know the future :p
How can you be so sure that the other systems' online setups won't compare to Microsoft? While it's probable, it's not a certainty as you claim it to be.

NCSoft, in response to Microsoft's "top dog" service went on record saying "OK, no MMORPG from us on the X360" as a result. I would also like to know what you mean by this:

Um the KB&M setup will be slowed down so movement speeds match the conroller..

It sounds like Sony may have paid NCSoft off to not develope on the 360. If not then it may just be that NCSoft wants to pocket all the money and not share with MS. Besides, the control scheme could easily be mapped to a controller and there is no need of mouse like precision in an MMORPG.

steviep said:
theNoid, you always seem to know the future :p
How can you be so sure that the other systems' online setups won't compare to Microsoft? While it's probable, it's not a certainty as you claim it to be.
Steve i must say this is the 3rd or 4th time you said this and it makes no sense. You dont put "I THINK" or "IMHO" infront of every sentence. Its pretty understandable when someone states something they are making educated guesses/predictions. You dont have to said, "OMG that might be not be true", or "you dont no the future!"

When I'm not absolutely certain of something, I do my best not to make it an absolute certainty, with or without "IMHO" or "probably"s... There is a difference between an educated guess or prediction, and something like this:
Live IS top dog, and nothing Nintendo or Sony produce is going to remotely come close.

Get it? Now enough off-topic :p

And thats his opinion. He doesnt need to said "In my opinion, Live IS top dog, and nothing Nintendo or Sony produce is going to remotely come close."

Everyone knows its his opinion and its a waste of words.

Also, anyone that believe everything they hear is an idiot. And you writing 3 or 4 sentence about his comments because he doesnt say "IMO" is also retarded.

ClearM4 said:
And thats his opinion. He doesnt need to said "In my opinion, Live IS top dog, and nothing Nintendo or Sony produce is going to remotely come close."

Everyone knows its his opinion and its a waste of words.

Also, anyone that believe everything they hear is an idiot. And you writing 3 or 4 sentence about his comments because he doesnt say "IMO" is also retarded.

And I responded to his opinion, with my own. What's your point? Get over it or take it to General Mayhem :p

This is about MMORPGs on consoles.

Actually, I understand Arena.net's point of view. The user experience with Live is the same from xbox to xbox with no one user having advantage over another. Live was created in such a way that "it just works". In order to do this, Microsoft needs total control on how xbox/360 consoles connect. (If you're a sys admin for a huge number of machines, then you already know how extremely important it is to keep machines "locked-down".) This type of setup does not work well with what Arena.net and others who want consoles to connect directly to their servers and to possibly play with anyone else using any kind of setup (console, PC, cell-phone???, etc.). With Live involved, this creates another layer of interaction that connection strings/packets would need to go through in order to play on MMORPG servers. Your character's reaction time would be worse.

Back