Guild Wars 2 reviews & user thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
There still should be complete darkness (the kind you can't compensate for with turning up your monitor brightness) if you don't carry a torch or have a light spell. It's immersive, it's somewhat realistic and it creates a tension like no other. Try crossing a whole zone without light and just hearing sounds of dangerous high level mobs around you. It becomes light and you realized you ran into a tree for the last 20 minutes and have not moved more than 20 inches from your starting point.

It was a cool feature but you can't tell me implementing that one feature would turn the game into a completely 100% more immersive experience for you. It's a very small feature in the scope of things, and while it was cool, it wouldn't change much in GW2. EQ was a game that required a group to do ANYTHING past like, level 10 (unless you were a pet class). GW2 would have to go this route and make everything like 5x harder so you die in 5 seconds to mobs that are 2-3 levels higher than you to add to the anxiety ridden experience that EQ was.

If I played EQ in it's original incarnation now 10-12 years later, I'd probably need blood pressure meds.

What are they going to do for you guys that bought a lifetime sub when it goes F2P?

Didn't most of the MMOs that go F2P still offer subscription options with additional perks that you'd have to shell money out for if you weren't a subscriber?

I just don't get open world factionless PvP anymore. It really just doesn't make sense to me, killing one another just for the sake of doing so. At least in WvWvW it's server and objection based so there is at least some rhyme and reason to the process. Running around getting ganked in the open world by other players for no reason is dumb to me. But to each his own.

Like someone above said about EQ, it's the tenseness you feel when you see someone or are fighting over resources. That's completely absent in GW2. There should be something on the line to make you fight.

There still should be complete darkness (the kind you can't compensate for with turning up your monitor brightness) if you don't carry a torch or have a light spell. It's immersive, it's somewhat realistic and it creates a tension like no other. Try crossing a whole zone without light and just hearing sounds of dangerous high level mobs around you. It becomes light and you realized you ran into a tree for the last 20 minutes and have not moved more than 20 inches from your starting point.

Did you go through the pirate puzzle in Lion's Arch? There's a jumping puzzle section that's pitch black other than brief flashes of light every once in a while (it's more than every few seconds.)

It was a cool feature but you can't tell me implementing that one feature would turn the game into a completely 100% more immersive experience for you. It's a very small feature in the scope of things, and while it was cool, it wouldn't change much in GW2. EQ was a game that required a group to do ANYTHING past like, level 10 (unless you were a pet class). GW2 would have to go this route and make everything like 5x harder so you die in 5 seconds to mobs that are 2-3 levels higher than you to add to the anxiety ridden experience that EQ was.

Nah it wouldn't change my take on GW2. I meant it more generally for all MMOs to have things like these again. Not necessarily ALL things, but what's really wrong for example with it being really dark at night?! Just as an example.

Didn't most of the MMOs that go F2P still offer subscription options with additional perks that you'd have to shell money out for if you weren't a subscriber?

Yes that is typical, but you have no idea what a developer will give away.

Like someone above said about EQ, it's the tenseness you feel when you see someone or are fighting over resources. That's completely absent in GW2. There should be something on the line to make you fight.

That lack of competition has fostered a cooperative attitude to playing the game that I haven't seen in any other MMO. If you want to play MMOs because you want to be a dick to other people, then granted, I guess you'll have to just get your MMO kicks elsewhere because clearly GW2 isn't the game for you. /shrug

That lack of competition has fostered a cooperative attitude to playing the game that I haven't seen in any other MMO. If you want to play MMOs because you want to be a dick to other people, then granted, I guess you'll have to just get your MMO kicks elsewhere because clearly GW2 isn't the game for you. /shrug

Agreed. I don't like the mindless open world PvP or fighting over resources with my own race, people who are supposedly my allies 95% of the time but are totally cool with killing me over a mining node or a rare mob with no consequences.

Woah.. did he really pay for a lifetime sub to TSW ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

oh man, I knew the first time I tried that it was not a keeper, I bet he's ultra mad. Bitterness is not strong enough to describe what I'd be feeling.

I would have felt really badly wasting my money on gw2. I get why you are bitter. However, you don't need to use me and my thread as your punching bag to let it out.

What are they going to do for you guys that bought a lifetime sub when it goes F2P?

More thank likely give your monthly credits equilivant to 10-20$ to spend in their store. That is what LoTRO did.

No, you didn't say "auto attack and one main attack." You said "button-mash one main attack and every 30-40 seconds you get to unload a few cool special abilities." Those were your EXACT words. And it's not 25s vs 30s being nitpicky. It's 12s vs 30s. Or several 12-20 second cooldown attacks. Or using all your cooldown attacks and then switching weapons. Or even better, doing so strategically so that your opening attack inflicts conditions that you take advantage of in later attacks.

Now would be a good time to finally start saving some face and just admitting that you're completely and utterly wrong.

Your silence is deafening, GoldenTiger.

You're just repeating what I said. One button to mash and a few cool attacks every while. Sorry but 5 seconds off on one ability is just nitpicking big time and not worth responding to since it is that silly.

The thing I don't get about GT's admonition over this is that TSW does the exact same thing. A few of my key abilities have 10-30 second cooldowns which require me to spam my builders till they come back up. Combat in GW2 is much more complex, engaging, and challenging than TSW.

The thing I don't get about GT's admonition over this is that TSW does the exact same thing. A few of my key abilities have 10-30 second cooldowns which require me to spam my builders till they come back up. Combat in GW2 is much more complex, engaging, and challenging than TSW.

I really think it needs to be dropped. No one is going to agree, ever, on this subject.

You're just repeating what I said. One button to mash and a few cool attacks every while. Sorry but 5 seconds off on one ability is just nitpicking big time and not worth responding to since it is that silly.

Same exact scenario in TSW, exactly the same but even worse in TSW.

So just to be clear, is your argument actually:

"button-mash one main attack and every 30-40 seconds you get to unload a few cool special abilities"

or is it

"My guardian had one attack he could use every 8 seconds, then everything else was 30+ seconds as I said."

(Other than the 12 second cooldown you yourself posted about.)

And why is it that you only care to discuss one particular weapon combination on one particular class? And that you don't even try to touch on weapon swapping?

But clearly my argument boils down to 25 seconds vs 30 seconds and is just silly. :rolleyes:

Do you think you're fooling anyone from beneath that bridge?

I really think it needs to be dropped. No one is going to agree, ever, on this subject.

Nah, fuck that. It's 100% clear he's full of shit, I just want to see him admit it. He dug his own hole with the constant backpedaling.

You misunderstand... it's not about being a dick, it's about competing for resources/territory and the fights that ensue. I have never been a fan of ganking.

It's kinda tied to immersion...

Agreed. I don't like the mindless open world PvP or fighting over resources with my own race, people who are supposedly my allies 95% of the time but are totally cool with killing me over a mining node or a rare mob with no consequences.

We're all humans on earth and yet we fight with each other over stuff.

Probably the same as Star Trek Online, I'd assume. You get "X" number of points per month to spend in the pay store to buy skins or new weapons or whatever they would sell in such a store. Haven't played TSW but I've played STO... it just makes sense they'd end up similar if TSW ever went to a F2P model.

Nah, fuck that. It's 100% clear he's full of shit, I just want to see him admit it. He dug his own hole with the constant backpedaling.
Keep on missing the forest for the trees and laser focus one part of one point of one section of my review.

Keep on missing the forest for the trees and laser focus one part of one point of one section of my review.

You mean one part of one point of one section of your review that makes it clear you either didn't play the game at all, or if you ever even bothered, you played it for 5 minutes at most? And you still haven't actually responded to my counterargument. Again.

You mean one part of one point of one section of your review that makes it clear you either didn't play the game at all, or if you ever even bothered, you played it for 5 minutes at most? And you still haven't actually responded to my counterargument. Again.

I already have. No need to repeat myself, as you seem so fond of doing ad nauseum. I already debunked your vague dull points.

I would have felt really badly wasting my money on gw2. I get why you are bitter. However, you don't need to use me and my thread as your punching bag to let it out.

So you've not spent any money on and are not playing GW2, but you are trolling the hell out of 2 GW2 threads?

Impressive...

I already have. No need to repeat myself, as you seem so fond of doing ad nauseum. I already debunked your vague dull points.

Are you drunk?

Boooooooooooring.

So you've not spent any money on GW2, but you are trolling the hell out of 2 GW2 threads?

Impressive...

Possible explanation: he's really a GW2 fanboy that is trying to present arguments so incredulous that any anti-GW2 position seems ridiculous by association. :cool:

So you've not spent any money on and are not playing GW2, but you are trolling the hell out of 2 GW2 threads?

Impressive...

I did play GW2, but no, I didn't spend money on it since I thought it sucked overall. And again, just because I don't think GW2 is the Messiah itself returned in videogame form does not mean I am "trolling" as you people seem to keep trying to harp on. But, I guess when all you have is namecalling, and no actual points to argue... you aren't smart enough to just bow out and resort to that instead.

Have fun. If you have played the game and have actual things to talk about, go make a thread. That's what I did. Just don't be surprised if you are called a hypocrite at that point ;). You might want to go crusade on the video card forums for people making threads about the same brands repeatedly, while you're at it.

I'm not saying not to make a post. If I dislike something, I'm definitely going to say it. However, there are times where I'll be in the minority and just have to accept that it'll get drowned out in a sea of opposite opinions. Example, I hate Day-Z. I'm in the minority on that and I'm ok with it. But when it was in full swing, I didn't make a separate thread for it crusading about how uniformed the player base was. They go on and enjoy it, and I'll go do something else and enjoy that.

I did play GW2, but no, I didn't spend money on it since I thought it sucked overall. And again, just because I don't think GW2 is the Messiah itself returned in videogame form does not mean I am "trolling" as you people seem to keep trying to harp on. But, I guess when all you have is namecalling, and no actual points to argue... you aren't smart enough to just bow out and resort to that instead.

You're really trying to break my irony meter, aren't you? I have actual points to argue, and you continually ignore them (all while falsely claiming you've already responded to them, heh.)

I'm not saying not to make a post. If I dislike something, I'm definitely going to say it. However, there are times where I'll be in the minority and just have to accept that it'll get drowned out in a sea of opposite opinions. Example, I hate Day-Z. I'm in the minority on that and I'm ok with it. But when it was in full swing, I didn't make a separate thread for it crusading about how uniformed the player base was. They go on and enjoy it, and I'll go do something else and enjoy that.

My thread wasn't attempting to make a crusade about people being uninformed, it was meant to state my opinions. Please don't project your thoughts onto my behaviors, because you're getting it wrong.

My thread wasn't attempting to make a crusade about people being uninformed, it was meant to state my opinions. Please don't project your thoughts onto my behaviors, because you're getting it wrong.

Poor misunderstood GoldenTiger. He's not a troll, it's just that nobody gets him. :rolleyes:

You're really trying to break my irony meter, aren't you? I have actual points to argue, and you continually ignore them (all while falsely claiming you've already responded to them, heh.)

I'm not going to bother responding to you in your endless "NO YOU DIDN'T" silliness, but here are links to where I directly responded for your perusal:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039093113&postcount=89

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039093221&postcount=96

Poor misunderstood GoldenTiger. He's not a troll, it's just that nobody gets him. :rolleyes:

??? What in the world are you talking about now? I didn't say anything about myself.

I'm not going to bother responding to you in your endless "NO YOU DIDN'T" silliness, but here are links to where I directly responded for your perusal:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039093113&postcount=89

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039093221&postcount=96

??? What in the world are you talking about now?

No, you didn't directly respond to my points in those two posts. In fact, your first one proved me right when you described abilities on 8 and 12 second cooldowns. That's not being pedantic over 5 seconds. And you also failed to respond to a couple questions I had for you, such as, why are you basing your criticism of combat in this game to ONE CLASS with ONE particular weapon system, completely ignoring even basic tactics like weapon swapping during a fight?

AGAIN, I will quote your original statement:

"button-mash one main attack and every 30-40 seconds you get to unload a few cool special abilities"

And AGAIN, I will point out that anyone who's played the game for more than 10 minutes will recognize that this statement SIMPLY. IS. NOT. TRUE.

You're trolling...have fun with it.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back