Guide to optimizing windows 8.1?

eculley

Limp Gawd
I have a gaming rig and have installed windows 8.1, I was wondering if anyone knows of a guide to get it fully optimized.. stuff like performance settings, bloatware removal ect ect

I know you may feel like you're getting more by disabling services or making a bunch of changes, but the truth is the default instal is optimal for any configuration, especially with 8. The only changes you may want to make are to save space on an SSD, if your using one. Disable hibernation file, use the min/max method for the pagefile and disable system restore are great space savers.

It actually bothers me how fast and smooth my Windows 8.1 system runs. The only thing I can't figure out is why is takes forever to restart (eternal spinning circles), but I do that so rarely that I haven't bothered to really diagnose it.

I have a gaming rig and have installed windows 8.1, I was wondering if anyone knows of a guide to get it fully optimized.. stuff like performance settings, bloatware removal ect ect

Install from disk, update, done.

Disable hibernation, disk indexing, windows defender, system restore. Set UAC slider all the way to the bottom. Set fixed min/max pagefile. Set windows updates to manual. Go to power settings, make a custom profile for high performance. Uncheck remote registry. Enable ClearType for your LCD panel.

Get an SSD drive if you're not currently using one.

Get an SSD drive if you're not currently using one.

That would be the first step. These days I would get a 250GB or larger one (since a 250GB can be had for around $100 US on sale) and absolutely not a ~64GB model (for performance and reliability reasons).

Last edited:
classhell.jpg

Wrap aluminum foil around your SSD. That will prevent high speed data electrons from escaping.

If you have a magnetic harddrive, you may consider buying some lead shielding to help improve the terminal RPM velocity by a few. This will help ensure your harddrive gets its maximum performance.

classhell.jpg
I don't know why a gaming rig would need a full-blown Start menu. Games aren't exactly something you need to (or should) dig multiple levels for. One of the things I like about Win8.1's Start screen is hey, there's all my games, right there, as big icons. Even my Steam games. Click -> play.

Disable hibernation, disk indexing, windows defender, system restore. Set UAC slider all the way to the bottom. Set fixed min/max pagefile. Set windows updates to manual. Go to power settings, make a custom profile for high performance. Uncheck remote registry. Enable ClearType for your LCD panel.

This might have been useful back in the Vista "era"…

I know you may feel like you're getting more by disabling services or making a bunch of changes, but the truth is the default instal is optimal for any configuration, especially with 8. The only changes you may want to make are to save space on an SSD, if your using one. Disable hibernation file, use the min/max method for the pagefile and disable system restore are great space savers.

I don't disable the hibernation file because that disables the 8/8.1 fast boot feature. I do use the trick to get the hibernation file to be half its default size though.

It actually bothers me how fast and smooth my Windows 8.1 system runs. The only thing I can't figure out is why is takes forever to restart (eternal spinning circles), but I do that so rarely that I haven't bothered to really diagnose it.

That's because when 8.1 restarts, it does a clean restart. Instead of having files saved to the hibernation file to enable the fast boot, a restart clears out those files and starts from scratch. The same thing happens when you lose power/do an improper shutdown.

Back