GUIDE - MDPC-X SLeeving of individual Cables! by Kamaster

corrected a word there.:D

You are correct. Also when you do it yourself, you get to make the connectors you want and the length/function you want.:p

ah yes, forgot that important point.
...'patience', stupid fingers & brain. keep forgetting hands do not come with a inbuilt spell checker.

Hey Kamaster and all other gurus

Great Guide. You've Motivated me to do a similar wiring job for my rig when I shift
my components into my new case. I just have a couple of questions before beginning
the over haul.

Firstly: I noticed for your build you were using 850W power supplies. So I was curious because I am running a
Silverstone Strider 1500W power supply would the 18 gauge wire be able to handle the 25 Amp max current levels produced on the 12V rails.

Secondly: What would be the best way to crimp the wires when you have a
6 + 2 pin PCI connector with another 6 pin connector piggy backed off it?
Do you just crimp both wires into the connector pin or is there a different
technique to use?

Hey Kamaster and all other gurus

Great Guide. You've Motivated me to do a similar wiring job for my rig when I shift
my components into my new case. I just have a couple of questions before beginning
the over haul.

Firstly: I noticed for your build you were using 850W power supplies. So I was curious because I am running a
Silverstone Strider 1500W power supply would the 18 gauge wire be able to handle the 25 Amp max current levels produced on the 12V rails.

I think that depends on the PSU. If you are making extensions, I'd probably use 16 gauge wire. But the pin crimpers are scaled to 18 gauge and they might not give you the best result with 16 gauge wire. I know my MDPC-X crimper did not like 16 gauge wire at all, it worked, but one of the pin "wings" always broke off.

Secondly: What would be the best way to crimp the wires when you have a
6 + 2 pin PCI connector with another 6 pin connector piggy backed off it?
Do you just crimp both wires into the connector pin or is there a different
technique to use?

You can try to "stuff" the wires into the pin before crimping but I think it would be hard to do. Why would you put a 6 pin and a 6+2 pin PCI-e on a single cable anyway? Are you planning on running two devices off that single cable?

You can try to "stuff" the wires into the pin before crimping but I think it would be hard to do. Why would you put a 6 pin and a 6+2 pin PCI-e on a single cable anyway? Are you planning on running two devices off that single cable?

some of the PSU makers have it like that for some reason. the extra 2pins are just ground wires anyways so they combine them with 2 other ground wires. the seasonic X series is a great example of it. and it's a BITCH to sleeve.

the best option i've seen, is to take the 2 wires that are combined together, take them apart, and solder one of them into the midsection of the other. then use heatshrink to cover the joint. this looks to be the cleanest option i've seen.

the 2nd option, like you said is to "stuff" the wires. I tried this, and it really doesn't do anything except destroy your fingers.

a 3rd option, some people had suggested putting the extra 2 wires into a spare 6 pin connector or grounding them to the case directly (i'm not sure how that latter part works)

4th option, just cut them off (i'm pretty sure there are some voltage stability issues with this option so i'm not really suggesting this)

Why would you put a 6 pin and a 6+2 pin PCI-e on a single cable anyway? Are you planning on running two devices off that single cable?

well the main reason was my GPUs require 2 6 pin connectors, however the cables supplied with the power supply are a 6 pin (with the additional 2 pins for grounding) and another 6 pin connector piggy backed off of it. this means only one cable is required to power one of my GPUs.

I think the best method to be sure which way to make the cables will be to wait for my tools to arrive and take apart one of the spare cables and see how Silverstone have managed to do it.

well the main reason was my GPUs require 2 6 pin connectors, however the cables supplied with the power supply are a 6 pin (with the additional 2 pins for grounding) and another 6 pin connector piggy backed off of it. this means only one cable is required to power one of my GPUs.

I think the best method to be sure which way to make the cables will be to wait for my tools to arrive and take apart one of the spare cables and see how Silverstone have managed to do it.

can you take a picture of this? I've never seen any Silverstone PSU look like what you've described and I've seen almost every high end PSU sleeved with MDPC-X....

ill try to get a picture up in the near future. just have to find the correct website to upload it to before posting it on here

Last edited:

So you can provide 150W of power off a single cable? That doesn't sound right.:eek:

20120419_215019.jpg

please disregard the cable tie it was just being used to keep the cables under control.

Are you sure the manual says you can run TWO SEPERATE GPUs off that one lead?

That deal looks to me like it would be an either/or.....but what do I know.:eek:

Sorry my mistake.

I wasn't being as clear as I Should have been.

Each of my GPU's Require 2 6 pin connectors. I run two of those cables.

I'm very sorry for the mix up

I just wanted to know what the best method would be
for recreating that joint where there is two cables coming
out of the same connector would be

Sorry my mistake.

I wasn't being as clear as I Should have been.

Each of my GPU's Require 2 6 pin connectors. I run two of those cables.

I'm very sorry for the mix up

I just wanted to know what the best method would be
for recreating that joint where there is two cables coming
out of the same connector would be

the best option i've seen, is to take the 2 wires that are combined together, take them apart, and solder one of them into the midsection of the other. then use heatshrink to cover the joint. this looks to be the cleanest option i've seen.

That's the best method I've seen.

Now if you're never going to go quad GPUs, then you could literally just cut off the extra cables and heatshrink the ends.

thanks man.

im ordering from the MDPC shop when I next get the opportunity.

ill let you know how things get on and hopefully have some pictures to post up

:)

Bringing it back....

What size heat shrink should I be using for 1/8th inch sleeving?

This one: http://www.performance-pcs.com/heatshrink-1-8-inch.html

You could use 1/4 inch as well.

You want the shrink to just fit over the sleeve before you heat it up.

The sellers of this stuff are becoming few and far between now that MDPC-X has taken a long sabbatical and FrozenCPU is who knows what....Performance is about it for supplies of this kind right now.

Where is the best place to buy this stuff!?!? In particular im looking for red sleeve, heatshrink, an plugs that all match (red).

Back