GUIDE - MDPC-X SLeeving of individual Cables! by Kamaster

Hey Kamaster..........sorry, one last question..........

Is the magic "minus 32mm" a standard for all sleeve length?
Does it take into account any heatshrink length, or just the 15mm you use?

I assume it has something to do with the depth of the connector where the pin slides into?

Thanks again.
last question.....honest....:D

Hey Kamaster..........sorry, one last question..........

Is the magic "minus 32mm" a standard for all sleeve length?
Does it take into account any heatshrink length, or just the 15mm you use?

I assume it has something to do with the depth of the connector where the pin slides into?

Thanks again.
last question.....honest....:D

Ask as many questions as you want :) no worries :) glad to help ya out

The 32mm is a standard for all sleeve length as it pertains to the depth of the connector where the pins slide in. It doesnt matter where the heatshrink goes, that is just used to control how much of the heatshrink you want to show above the connector

hope this helps :)

Ask as many questions as you want :) no worries :) glad to help ya out

The 32mm is a standard for all sleeve length as it pertains to the depth of the connector where the pins slide in. It doesnt matter where the heatshrink goes, that is just used to control how much of the heatshrink you want to show above the connector

hope this helps :)

Thanks.
Just started practicing with the MDPC-X crimper.......thing works like a dream.:cool:
Your guide and the info from MDPC-X is spot on.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Just started practicing with the MDPC-X crimper.......thing works like a dream.:cool:
Your guide and the info from MDPC-X is spot on.

Could you post a picture of an atx connector crimped on to a wire using the mdpcx crimping tool? i want to see how well it bites into the wire.

Thanks

this is

by far

the best guide on cable sleeving I've seen

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm ordering mdpc soon and I'm really glad I found this. although I don't know wether I should sleeve my existing psu cables or go full on like you with buying connectors and cables. have to see what cables my ocz has.

Could you post a picture of an atx connector crimped on to a wire using the mdpcx crimping tool? i want to see how well it bites into the wire.

Thanks

I don't have a close-up lens for my camera.
This is the best I could do.
Currently I'm making a cable to go from my AX 1200 to a plug in my Rampage III Formula that supplies extra power to the PCI-e slots. It's ATX on one end and molex on the other, custom length to fit the distance.

I have found the crimp tool to be literally fool-proof.....which is good for me.
I used MDPC-X ATX pins and Frozencpu gold tipped molex pins.
Haven't had time to sleeve them yet.

DSC_0005.jpg

this is a perfect and well detailed how to thanks man! atleast now i know where to buy that sleeving :D

this is

by far

the best guide on cable sleeving I've seen

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm ordering mdpc soon and I'm really glad I found this. although I don't know wether I should sleeve my existing psu cables or go full on like you with buying connectors and cables. have to see what cables my ocz has.

No matter how you do it, buy this :http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9..._Fit_Pin_Extraction_Tool_-_ATX_EPS_PCI-E.html

The guy at MDPC-X sells them too, but what kills you there is he's in Germany and the shipping costs are about 20 dollars regardless of the order size.
Frozen sells the same exact tool and I do believe it's cheaper.
Now MDPC-X has everybody beat on the quality of the heatshrink and sleeving, that and he sells an ass-load of product to you for a very good price.....the sleeving comes in 10 metre lengths and the heat shrink in 1 metre length, makes it well worth the shipping.

Nobody sells as good a crimping tool. The tool is very high quality and works perfectly everytime. The guy includes a bunch of pins too.
I was pleasantly surprised to find an email as soon as I ordered, giving me a detailed tutorial on the tool plus how to sleeve correctly and what to look for......even what to look for in buying wire.

As a suggestion.....I bought my bulk wire from McMaster, on line. You can buy any color and length of 18 gauge stranded wire you like. They have any number of PVC thickness as well. I bought 0.77 inch thick wire which is about 1.9mm thick total and works perfectly with the crimper tool.
The cost is way cheaper than any of the online modding stores, about half. I think 150 feet of wire cost me 20 dollars, shipping included.

Last edited:
This is the best guide I have ever seen to sleeving! This deserves to go into the hall of fame for stickies :p But seriously good work and thank you so much for your guide!

No matter how you do it, buy this :http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9..._Fit_Pin_Extraction_Tool_-_ATX_EPS_PCI-E.html

The guy at MDPC-X sells them too, but what kills you there is he's in Germany and the shipping costs are about 20 dollars regardless of the order size.
Frozen sells the same exact tool and I do believe it's cheaper.
Now MDPC-X has everybody beat on the quality of the heatshrink and sleeving, that and he sells an ass-load of product to you for a very good price.....the sleeving comes in 10 metre lengths and the heat shrink in 4 metre length, makes it well worth the shipping.

Nobody sells as good a crimping tool. The tool is very high quality and works perfectly everytime. The guy includes a bunch of pins too.
I was pleasantly surprised to find an email as soon as I ordered, giving me a detailed tutorial on the tool plus how to sleeve correctly and what to look for......even what to look for in buying wire.

As a suggestion.....I bought my bulk wire from McMaster, on line. You can buy any color and length of 18 gauge stranded wire you like. They have any number of PVC thickness as well. I bought 0.77 inch thick wire which is about 1.9mm thick total and works perfectly with the crimper tool.
The cost is way cheaper than any of the online modding stores, about half. I think 150 feet of wire cost me 20 dollars, shipping included.

Thanks for the pic, the crimp looks good :)

I measured the thickness of the 18ga wire im using and its 2.35mm thick total.

In contrast i measured my HX-850w wiring and its 2.07mm

What does the email from MDPC-x say with regards to buying wire? what kind of tips?

Thanks for all the comments guys, Im really glad I'm able to contibute to any questions or grey areas you may have about sleeving.

Well here's the first try at the single cable braiding.
It isn't perfect, but I really enjoyed doing it.
I need to get some better metric measuring tools.

DSC_0010.jpg

As I recall,here's what the MDPC-X guy had to say about wire: " Try to not use cables which have more than 2.3mm outside-diameter, because they can potentially destroy the crimp-terminal. Best diameter for big cables and crimping is 1.9mm to 2.3mm outside diameter."

I also found that just before I cut the sleeving to length, stretch the hell out of it. It makes the fabric very tight, and you can't see the wire inside.

I found through some trial and error that 34mm was my number to subtract off the total wire length for sleeving.
I then used your 18mm length from the tip of the connector to the sleeve and it was very much right on the money.:D

I also hand-cut my own heatshrink at 20mm length.....it's a bit difficult to get perfect....so I had a couple that were off just about a mm when I put the braids together.....maddening.

I have to say, this is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, but like kamaster said.....patience.....that's the key. I think I worked on this off/on for a week for just this one cable, but it is perfect for what I needed and it doesn't look half bad.
I wish I had a close-up lens for my camera, I'm a crappy photographer.

Last edited:
Great job on the sleeving magoo!!!

How is sleeving the molex connector? easier?

I really like the point you made about stretching the sleeving so that its tight, i think ill try that!!

As for cutting the heatshrink, try using the technique i used for marking the wiring for cutting, and marking the sleeving for cutting using the ruler and blade.

heres a pic of what i mean,

This may give you bettter results with getting all them to be the same length.

make sure the blade is right against the edge of the ruler, to guarantee a straight cut

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

I found the molex to be much easier as the openings in the connector are larger.:D

The pins are also a bit easier to work with....less dainty.

Unfortunately SATA is taking over molex for accessories.

Finally UPDATE :)

Powder coated 90% of the parts black

Put the carbon fiber on the middle part, (rear io panel needs some cf love soon)

put a quick mock up to give you guys a quick idea

excuse the wiring, lol especially the pci-e cable lol that was part of my first attemp at wiring. Im not liking the colour scheme of the 24pin, i might change it up a little.

enjoy the pics

IMAG0156.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0210.jpg

Ahmed thats gonna be a pain!!!

you would have to remove the caps (capacitors) and than sleeve the wires.

If you can take the caps off, you will probably have to use mdpc-x sata heat shrink where there are two wires going into one crimp terminal.

If you have a way to hide these cables, I would suggest putting extensions on them, that way you wont void any warranty on your power supply.

Are these caps or simple ferrites ?
Rewire the whole thing, forget about the ferrites.
Your cables are more than long enough, you can use passthrough connectors to make things easier.

Infrabasse:

Passthrough atx pins/connectors??? not sure if thats what you meant, ive never seen them.

I think they are just basic ferrites, theres a lot of them.

Scatology:

I mistakenly posted pics of my Fermi 2 build

I thought the point of sleeving was to manage multiple wires into one cable. This is just makes the problem of wires everywhere worse by making them thicker.

Airflow isn't so much impeded by the thickness of the cable, but more by it's length and the bulk it creates.
When you custom sleeve, you might as well cut your cables to length and eliminate the unwanted length.

Uni-sleeving is indeed thicker but more flexible as in it can flatten easierly behind a motherboard tray.

Last edited:
you're an evil bastard kamaster. ;)

just been to mdpc x and snagged a cripper and some other bibs & bobs.

was very tempted to grab some sleeving but i've already got a couple hundred meters of black techflex PET.

the sleeving prices are pretty decent if you buy the big family packs and the shipping is very reasonable compared to the arse raping when purchasing stuff from the US (performance pcs. jab-tech et al).

was just at performance pcs an they wanted $80USD for 9 lbs (to australia), which was the cheapest option. also just missed out on 10% discount code. think i'll wait on that order.

Get yourself a little highlight color for a few dollars more.
A single colored wire adds a lot to a full black sleeving loom imho.

you're an evil bastard kamaster. ;)

just been to mdpc x and snagged a cripper and some other bibs & bobs.

was very tempted to grab some sleeving but i've already got a couple hundred meters of black techflex PET.

the sleeving prices are pretty decent if you buy the big family packs and the shipping is very reasonable compared to the arse raping when purchasing stuff from the US (performance pcs. jab-tech et al).

was just at performance pcs an they wanted $80USD for 9 lbs (to australia), which was the cheapest option. also just missed out on 10% discount code. think i'll wait on that order.

HAHA evil bastard LOL

I know what you mean, I just ordered 8pin pcie and atx connectors and for 10 connectors shipping was 25 to canada, pathetic. I live in a border city to a US city (detroit), wish i could get my stuff shipped there.

you cant beat mdpc-x sleeving, Im waiting for my shipment to arrive from there, Nils is AMAZING!!!!! that guy is so honest and caring.

Ill be getting my sleeivng done this weekend, time permitting, hopefully i get the stuff in tomorrow.

Hmm I didn't realise that.

What on earth is that PCI-E 4-7 power 6pin?
Why? There's already 4 dual 8pin cables.

Hmm I didn't realise that.

What on earth is that PCI-E 4-7 power 6pin?
Why? There's already 4 dual 8pin cables.

there are 4 cables on that psu,

each cable has 1 - 8pin pcie and 1- 6pin pcie - PSU to 8pin to 6pin

and theres also dual 8pin eps connectors on the psu.

and theres soo many ferrits, lol I totally dislike this type of design, and silverston, enermax all use this crappy design.

for my next psu, im thinking of an enermax revoMax, what do you think? prob 1200w

ps, nice sleeving job you did on that psu.

I prefer modular cables as I dont have to worry about voiding warranties, when you have a psu problem, they only require the psu, not the cables, well atleast corsair, cant speak for the rest.

anyways nice job!!!

what blue sleeving is that from mdpc-x?

Very nice guide, ill have to use this sometime soon, bookmarking it

HAHA evil bastard LOL

I know what you mean, I just ordered 8pin pcie and atx connectors and for 10 connectors shipping was 25 to canada, pathetic. I live in a border city to a US city (detroit), wish i could get my stuff shipped there.

you cant beat mdpc-x sleeving, Im waiting for my shipment to arrive from there, Nils is AMAZING!!!!! that guy is so honest and caring.

Ill be getting my sleeivng done this weekend, time permitting, hopefully i get the stuff in tomorrow.

dr-evil.jpg

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil.
Our early attempts at a tractor beam went through several preparations. Preparations A through G were a complete failure. But now, ladies and gentlemen, we finally have a working tractor beam, which we shall call... Preparation H.

talking about those shipping rates...

OMG

I just received the Crimping tool from MDPC-X.com and WOOOOOOWWWWWWW

the crimping tool is AMAZING!!! screw the crappy ones you buy from the USA, if you are in need of a crimper, BUY IT FROM MDPC-X.com

Nils even put 3 test pieces in there to prove it works, and i just tried it out im in shock!!!!!

going to finish my badass wiring tonight :)

OMG

I just received the Crimping tool from MDPC-X.com and WOOOOOOWWWWWWW

the crimping tool is AMAZING!!! screw the crappy ones you buy from the USA, if you are in need of a crimper, BUY IT FROM MDPC-X.com

Nils even put 3 test pieces in there to prove it works, and i just tried it out im in shock!!!!!

going to finish my badass wiring tonight :)

now i am jealous, i ordered mine from MDPC-X on the 1st of july, still waiting...

I thought the point of sleeving was to manage multiple wires into one cable. This is just makes the problem of wires everywhere worse by making them thicker.

Yes, you might have all the wires in one cable, but it's usually thick and hard to route, and you are stuck with the length the PSU maker gives you.

If you braid each one individually, one you get to choose color, secondly it can be customized length, no excess to hide or extra connectors you don't need, thirdly the braid is generally more flexible and can pass through a more narrow opening.

I'm with Kamaster, I like the modular connector. Use only what you need.
Unfortunately Corsair uses proprietary connectors to the PSU side so you have to remove them and place them on your braid.

And yes...........the MDPC-X tool is sweet, no doubt. Perfect crimp each time. Nils is a really nice guy, to the extreme. I loved the little drawing he made on the envelope of my shipment.:p

Corsair has thrown a wrench in the works.
If you have a modular Corsair PSU they now sell really nice kits of singly braided cables....http://www.corsair.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=psu+cables

the corsair sleeved cables aren't bad tho certainly not perfect. it's a good start tho.
you'll get better results doing it yourself (use better, thicker weaved sleeve & better shrink), providing you have the patients & the PSU doesn't have wacky wiring (wires that split from 1 to 2 pins).

the corsair sleeved cables aren't bad tho certainly not perfect. it's a good start tho.
you'll get better results doing it yourself (use better, thicker weaved sleeve & better shrink), providing you have the patience & the PSU doesn't have wacky wiring (wires that split from 1 to 2 pins).

corrected a word there.:D

You are correct. Also when you do it yourself, you get to make the connectors you want and the length/function you want.:p

Back