GUIDE: Install Windows Vista, 7 and 8 from a flash drive!

There's a slightly longer way to do this using the dispart command and just a few more commands, I read it in CPU, and works fine with no errors.

From Vista/Win7 Command prompt

1. diskpart
  2. list disk
  3. select disk 3 (or one that is the flash USB)
  4. clean
  5. create partition primary
  6. list partition (just to check there is only one parition)
  7. select partition 1 (should be the only one)
  8. active
  9. format fs=fat32
  10. assign
  11. exit

Copying the files:

xcopy e:\*.* /s /e /f f:\ (where e is your dvd drive and f is your flash drive)

I know its not as short, but an alternative way, none the less.

i used MagicISO to rip a standard .iso file off my retail Win 7 x64 Ult disc first (this avoids having to do the xcopy part), then tried the MS USB Download tool, kept erroring out...saying it couldnt use that USB device....so i followed your instructions above to format and partition and make it active, then using the MS tool again pointed it at the same iso and same USB device (which changed from H to I when i assigned it btw) and now it works great

thanks for the info

A recent thread, here, discovered that to install Win7 to an eee required that the USB thumbdrive be formatted with FAT instead of NTFS, and that various walkthroughs on the net note that some versions of the eee may require versions of FAT earlier than FAT32, such as LBA (FAT16X). If you're having trouble getting a netbook to recognize the thumbdrive, that may be worth a try.

Last edited:
I had to use the xcopy method in the first post because the MS tool complained about an invalid ISO file, even though the ISO was made from a real Windows 7 disc image downloaded from MSDNAA.

Did you verify the checksum (MD5, SHA-1, etc) on that ISO after you finished the MSDNAA download? If just one bit is outta place, well... ;)

Hmm, I've never run across that. Could be because I've been using the same ISO for awhile now... :p

Good to know that it actually checks that stuff.

However, I am curious if that ISO you did download matches MS's MD5 hash.

Did you verify the checksum (MD5, SHA-1, etc) on that ISO after you finished the MSDNAA download? If just one bit is outta place, well... ;)

I just grabbed new ISOs, and the checksums all checked out, and the MS tool worked. Just for shits and giggles, I tried the MS tool with a Windows Vista ISO, and immediately got the 'Bad ISO' error (duh, it's the Windows 7 USB tool).

Well OP's method didn't work for me, but the official MS tool that he posted did. Boy did that sucker ever install fast! I was down for maybe 20 mins, MAX!

I've used WinToFlash multiple times without issue, even on an ASUS netbook... Works with Vista as well, I've used it to repair older laptops with busted HDDs and CD drives (ahh, HP/COMPAQ, thanks for making me extra money on the side), can't remember if it works with XP too.

Found a buntu way the other day as well.

1. Install ntfsprogs in synaptic
2. Format as ntfs in gparted, set flag to boot
3. Extract contents of .iso to flash drive. (I used winrar under wine, but whatever works for you)

Thats all it took for me.

windows tool is saying it wasn't able to run bootsect for the usb to be bootable is that going to be a problem?

For users trying to prepare a 64-bit Vista/7/2008 installation flash drive from Windows XP (32 bit)

follow this guide:
http://www.bwana.org/2009/01/11/how...a-usb-drive-to-an-hp-mini-1000-without-vista/ (linked by Mazgazine1)

with this 32-bit bootsect.exe:
http://www.2shared.com/file/2585881/5ad9ef68/bootsect.html (i can rehost if needed)

may be some unneeded steps in there, but so far it's worked great for me...

ok so i went back and found this on pg7 but the link is dead.

Does any one know how to solve the problem of USB 3.0 drivers during windows 7 installation. I can boot up fine but it will go to the screen asking for additional drivers for my USB 3.0 flash drive. I assume you would have to slipstream the drivers in there.

I've used WinToFlash multiple times without issue, even on an ASUS netbook... Works with Vista as well, I've used it to repair older laptops with busted HDDs and CD drives (ahh, HP/COMPAQ, thanks for making me extra money on the side), can't remember if it works with XP too.

Add my vote for WinToFlash as well.

Just gave it a try after trying all the other suggestions in this thread, all of which gave me problems of some kind. I didn't want to try this program at first because I figured I could do the same in command line, and also because I didn't want to install some spyware software just to mount an image to a flash drive. Damn I was wrong. Install was a breeze, no other "crap" software installed. Just put in the Windows disc or image and the flash drive, and that's it. Automatically does everything else for you. Used Windows 7 SP1 64-bit on a 4GB Sony flash drive.

Guys, I do mention in the first part of my guide that Microsoft has an official tool that's been out for awhile now that does this in a few clicks of the mouse. Just a heads up.

If you're worried about installing WinToFlash, why not just use the official MS app?

Guys, I do mention in the first part of my guide that Microsoft has an official tool that's been out for awhile now that does this in a few clicks of the mouse. Just a heads up.

If you're worried about installing WinToFlash, why not just use the official MS app?

Because using the Offical app wouldn't be [H]

I tried the official Microsoft tool as well, but it doesn't allow making bootable flash drives from a Windows disc (yes, it's 100% legit). It has to be an image file, and every time I tried making an image out of the Windows disc, the official tool would give me "your image isn't legit" errors. WinToFlash allowed for either methods, and worked incredible well/easily. Don't get me wrong, your guide was very helpful, and I thank you for it. I was, for whatever reason, having problems getting it to work.

I don't understand...because I was trying to do a fresh install over a corrupt copy of windows...but it said it did not have the right windows bootup files....that doesnt make sense because you can install it over a blank hdd...

Awesome guide! I have been wanting to do this for some time, and I really hope it eases my install woes with my W7 upgrade disc. I am trying it using an ISO d/l straight from MS. If I have to reinstall with my copy to make it activate, it is still a lot easier than trying to do it from XP, or trying to borrow another disc.

I'm so sad... 228 posts and still no solution for installing XP. I have a HP Compaq Tablet PC 1100 and I am trying to install Windows XP 2005 Tablet Edition on it, and well being as it doesn't have a cd drive my only other solution was using a USB to install it. According to several users it isn't possible, although some have claimed to have done it, frustrating as it may have been.

I'm so sad... 228 posts and still no solution for installing XP. I have a HP Compaq Tablet PC 1100 and I am trying to install Windows XP 2005 Tablet Edition on it, and well being as it doesn't have a cd drive my only other solution was using a USB to install it. According to several users it isn't possible, although some have claimed to have done it, frustrating as it may have been.

External USB CD/DVD drive maybe?

Have installed all versions Vista, Windows 7 Home Premium, and Ubuntu all many times over from USB – cheaper and faster with less disks to keep up with.

ok so i went back and found this on pg7 but the link is dead.

i'm working on the same thing now. running xp 32bit (using the windows usb-dvd tool), trying to get win 8CP on a thumb drive. fails on bootsect. if i figure it out, will post.

Yes, even after all this time, this is a great thread and guide.

Haha, thanks guys. I'll get around to completely revamping it for Windows 8. There is a lot that is no longer needed.

Back