GUIDE: Install Windows Vista, 7 and 8 from a flash drive!

Come now Joe, you don't actually believe that do you? MBP's are amazingly solid machines from a physical object POV, no matter what OS its running.

Anyway, the fact that it is an EFI based system might actually be the reason that isn't working. I'm not entirely sure though, hopefully someone else can help.

Target volumes will be updated with BOOTMGR compatible bootcode.

Could not map drive partitions to the associated volume device objects: Access is denied.

Long Time Listener, First time caller.

I get this message as well. I am trying it under Vista 32bit.

I have wanted the same thing - the only thing is, though, they would probably charge more for the product, initially, because its flash media and not a CD, which can be made cheaply.

simple solution. Software kiosks. Plug in flash drive, kiosk copies installer to your flash drive and gives you a printed receipt with your activation/installation code.

I know some would bitch that it would make software piracy explode, but how different is it from making an ISO of a CD?

It's the green way to go. instead of CD/DVD's and packing material, all it takes is a kiosk with a efw TB drives in it to hold the data or hell just a link to the MFG's direct download.
It would save shelf space, man power of stocking the shelf space, and shirnk from stolen software.

yea the first way didn't work for me. I used the link that RogueTrip posted and that did work on the build in my sig. my mobo couldn't read the ntfs I guess

Works over here, even for an Upgrade Install of Windows 7 over an older build (say what you want about those but that's how I roll).

for some reason my 1000he isn't taking well to this method. I try to boot from my 8gb jumpdrive but it keeps skipping over it to my internal 160gb HD....

I format the whole thing as per directions, but for some reason it isn't booting...

edit: I set it up to boot before copying over and it worked out.

Last edited:
OP method didn't work. the only way it worked was using kurtsh's guide using NTFS instead of Fat32 and bootsect /nt60 F: after xcopy.

Nope, your method doesn't use diskpart (or you fail mention it).

Anyway I have 2 sticks 1 with ntfs+bootsect /nt60 and the other with fat32. I tested on 3 pcs and 2 laptops the one with FAt32 boots on all of them, the one with NTFS only boots on 2 pcs.

AFAIK only very recent mobos can boot a USB with NTFS, most will only boot from fat32.

Nope, your method doesn't use diskpart (or you fail mention it).

I was referring to what you posted. My method is tried and true on about 30-40 PC's now with many different flash drives.

you do need to make sure you can even make the flash drive bootable not all flash drives can be made bootable that may be why you cant format it as the pen drive may only support fat32 file system

thats all i can think off all the flash pen drives i got are all bootable

i use Peak flash slow at writeing (7MB/s Zzzz) but fast at reading (31MB/s) faster then what an dvd rom can read at Peak xtreme2 x200 any other ones that peak are crap 13-7 MB/s writeing is like 2-3MB/s

Hm, I've seemed to run into a problem.

Everything has gone great up until running "bootsect /nt60 F:" (F being my flash drive). I get the message:

Code:
Target volumes will be updated with BOOTMGR compatible bootcode.

Could not map drive partitions to the associated volume device objects: Access is denied.

And that's it. No "Bootcode was successfully updated on all target volumes" afterwords like everyone else is getting. I'm doing this on a MacBook Pro, so I wonder if EFI has anything to do with it.

Getting this also. Is this a "succesful" message or does it mean it won't work?

Yeah, that worked. Need to run as admin and then it completes succesfully.

Now to try it out! Great guide, thanks!

Instead of copying from a DVD or a mounted image, just extract the ISO directly on the usb stick.

Instead of copying from a DVD or a mounted image, just extract the ISO directly on the usb stick.

Naturally. The guide was written with Vista in mind, so I was going on the assumption that people where using DVD's.

you know this is a lot easier to do with diskpart, imo. You don't need all this bootsect and xcopy nonsense. The only part that matters is (1) making the partition active and (2) formatting it from within Vista or 7 (formatting from XP won't work). Copying the files can be done any way you want as long as you get all of them and put them on the root of the device.

I won't guarantee that FAT32 works for everyone, but it has worked for me every time.

bootvista7.gif

^^^then copy your files.

you know this is a lot easier to do with diskpart, imo. You don't need all this bootsect and xcopy nonsense. The only part that matters is (1) making the partition active and (2) formatting it from within Vista or 7 (formatting from XP won't work). Copying the files can be done any way you want as long as you get all of them and put them on the root of the device.

I won't guarantee that FAT32 works for everyone, but it has worked for me every time.

^^^then copy your files.

???

Thats like 8 commands that need to be entered. Not exactly easier for someone that doesn't like the command line. My method is 4 simple commands and its done. So what exactly is easier about your method?

Won't UNetbootin work for simply making a USB stick bootable?

Like I said above, 4 really small simple command line commands and you are done. Not to hard. :p

Code:
bootsect.exe /nt60 E:
You will get what looks to be an error, but ignore that. All you are interested in is if it says: Bootcode was successfully updated on all target volumes.
Cannot get this part to work. Keep getting the error message E:\boot\bootsect.exe is not a valid Win32 application and then drives says access is denied nothing else.

Run the command line as Administrator. (right click > Run As Administrator)

???

Thats like 8 commands that need to be entered. Not exactly easier for someone that doesn't like the command line. My method is 4 simple commands and its done. So what exactly is easier about your method?

Like I said above, 4 really small simple command line commands and you are done. Not to hard. :p

My method actually works and is done all in one place without flashing "bootsects" or using arcane xcopy arguments. Don't be so sensitive to a little bit of criticism. Besides, I did say "IMO"

Also, you missed the point. None of the stuff in your guide is necessary. Formatting the device in Vista or later and making sure the partition is active are the only critical elements. It doesn't matter what method you use to format or copy the files. Shrug. Whatever works best for each person is what IS best for that person, but your method seems unnecessarily complex to me. To each their own. I only provided the cap of diskpart as ONE alternative example.

Cannot get this part to work. Keep getting the error message E:\boot\bootsect.exe is not a valid Win32 application and then drives says access is denied nothing else.

I am getting the same error. It would seem this is because we are using x64 copies of windows 7 yet trying to set it up on a machine running an x32 copy of windows.

I am in the same boat however I do not know what to try next. I had tried getting a copy of the x32 bootsect.exe program but it didnt seem to work.

any elp would be greatly appreciated!

I am getting the same error. It would seem this is because we are using x64 copies of windows 7 yet trying to set it up on a machine running an x32 copy of windows.

I am in the same boat however I do not know what to try next. I had tried getting a copy of the x32 bootsect.exe program but it didnt seem to work.

any elp would be greatly appreciated!
Damn I bet you're right, that's it, Crap. :(

The bootsect.exe that you are running is the one you copy from the ISO/DVD to the flash drive, so the host OS should not matter.

The bootsect.exe that you are running is the one you copy from the ISO/DVD to the flash drive, so the host OS should not matter.
Isn't it still trying to run a 64bit app in a 32bit command prompt?

Isn't it still trying to run a 64bit app in a 32bit command prompt?

It sure is. The bootsect.exe on the windows 7 x64 image is a 64 bit application and as such, it cannot run in a 32 bit environment (WINXPx32SP2)

The only option I could think of was to grab a copy of the x32 windows 7 version of bootsect.exe and its associated files however I am not sure if that will work either as I believe it will prepare my bootsect for a 32 bit install instead of a 64 bit install (which is what I want)

I think I need to find a friend with a working dvd burner unless someone here has some advice :)

or you can use the method listed by Sabrewulf, so you won't need bootsect

bootsect /nt60 E:

If you use the DVD/CD bootsect program to update the flashdrive then you dont get the error msg as the drive isnt "locked"

EG you copy the files from the DVD on F: and your USB drive is G: then enter the following
F:
cd\boot
bootsect /nt60 g:

As you are not on the usb drive the filesystem will not have active file handles on the usb drive and hence the update will not give the exclusive access error.

Oh and people having problem formating as NTFS? Just format it as FAT32 and then convert it.

cmd prompt and do a simple

convert <flashdrive letter> /fs:ntfs

convert g: /fs:ntfs

Old school but works :p

My method actually works and is done all in one place without flashing "bootsects" or using arcane xcopy arguments. Don't be so sensitive to a little bit of criticism. Besides, I did say "IMO"

Also, you missed the point. None of the stuff in your guide is necessary. Formatting the device in Vista or later and making sure the partition is active are the only critical elements. It doesn't matter what method you use to format or copy the files. Shrug. Whatever works best for each person is what IS best for that person, but your method seems unnecessarily complex to me. To each their own. I only provided the cap of diskpart as ONE alternative example.

I was just trying to understand what you see In my method that is "complex". It takes 4 incredibly simple commands and its done. Your method would take more time with more commands. xcopy arcane? lol... :p

I was just trying to understand what you see In my method that is "complex". It takes 4 incredibly simple commands and its done. Your method would take more time with more commands. xcopy arcane? lol... :p

Alright let me simplify it for you then:

1) create a fresh partition on your device
2) set it active with diskpart
3) format it any way you like, as long as you're formatting from within vista or later
4) copy the install files to the device any way you like.

Unless I missed something in your numbering, that's one less step than yours. You keep saying 4, but your guide has 5 ;)

And since you really seem to be missing the point - BOOTSECT IS COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY

But anyway, it's your show, so carry on. I made my contribution and need not post again :)

or you can use the method listed by Sabrewulf, so you won't need bootsect

Sabrewulf's method only works when formatting on a windows vista or later machine. All the working laptops in my house are all running XP so unfortunately I need another way.

I'm already shopping for an external DVD burner....:(

Sabrewulf's method only works when formatting on a windows vista or later machine. All the working laptops in my house are all running XP so unfortunately I need another way.

I'm already shopping for an external DVD burner....:(

hop by your local best buy and format your device on one of their display laptops (all of which will probably be running Vista) then go home and copy the files ;)

Back